The Renovators Of Canada

Reviews for The Renovators Of Canada

Dafzal87 in Toronto
Dafzal87 in Toronto

Ikea sink installation

I bought a sink from Ikea and T-Roc were the installers. Everything was done up to code and was of a high quality. I was quite specific with my timing and they were happy to work around it. The entire project took about half a day and was done to a very high standard They offered solutions to any problems that rose up and were quick to follow up and fix the issue when my sink was leaking.

Overall, very happy with the work done.

Thank you very much for the review! Enjoy our new vanity. Paul and the T-ROC team.

David from Toronto
David from Toronto

Bathroom shower renovation

This company has great people and provides great work. The guys on-site were absolutely a pleasure and I'd work with them directly any day. This review however is mostly geared towards making other consumers aware of their management and pricing practice.

Four weeks ago I hired two separate trades to take on the work of: a) demolition of dry wall for shower and a second 2 ft. long wall, b) lay down lining and drain for a shower and c) build a 6 ft. shower barrier. I'm basically preparing for a walk-in shower, replacing a bathtub. My previous estimates were between $1200-1500 including time and material (and a 1 day turn around time). Unfortunately both trades ended up having to cancel the project at the last minute, massively delaying my work. Not uncommon in the contracting industry.

In desperation, T-ROC was recommended by a good friend of mine. Nasser and his guy came out to quote the work the night before. I made it very clear that I was in a bind and I needed the work done extremely fast and diligently (next morning by 11am latest for my next trade to do work). I expected an extra cost that would reflect the timing I was expecting. To my surprise, I was provided with a total cost of $2200+HST. Knowing the half day effort and material would be nowhere near this amount, I still accepted the amount to get the work done in time.

Right off the bat, their team was late and no supervisor was on-site to oversee the work. Although an apology was made by the labourer, Nassar was either oblivious or unapologetic to it. Worst however is that the team wasn't fully aware of the effort that was needed on the job site -- they hadn't been properly briefed or there was some severe miscommunication.

Half way through the work (I stuck around during the effort ALL day) I was then told of overages for $700 due to having to fix some studs behind dry wall - about 3-4 of them. According to my calculations that accounted for nearly $120 worth of material and an extra 60-80 minutes of effort. The price gouging clearly didn't stop and I felt I was being too taken advantage of. I approached Nassar and made him aware of my displeasure, to which he attempted defending with poor excuses of having to pick up material. I was given the option of picking up the material myself and I wouldn't be charged the extra $700. It however took my becoming intensely agitated for Nasser to understand the mistake he made in trying to extract even more profit from me.

The more ridiculous part is that T-ROCs sales team acts so very friendly and professional. They do a great job of making you feel like you're getting white glove service and being taken care of -- BEWARE! In the end, I guarantee you (and from what I've read on other reviews) they have a practice of maximizing their return at every moment possible. I paid my deposit the night before and I paid 2 hours after the work was confirmed done. I'm a person of my word and I did everything in my own to keep things on track. In the end though I couldn't believe the amounts being thrown at me when I could easily discern the value of the work. Aside from what I thought T-ROC was trying to make on their ridiculous margins, the quality of work WAS at the level I needed it to be at. In the end the labourers ended up being the saving grace of the project and avoiding a complete and utter travesty of a situation.

This is all unfortunate because the trade labourers are hard working and great fellows. Their bosses however prove to be unethical to the point that their tactics felt predatory. I hope everyone considering hiring them thinks twice or definitely make sure you get at least 3 other estimates to gauge how far off T-ROCs pricing actually is.

Hope this team turns their methods around. Good business is about providing a quality service and being recognised for it. These guys have their priorities in the wrong place. Very unfortunate. Best of luck though.

Hi David, as hard as it is to read your comments Thank you for your candid review. These reviews make us better contractors and definitely don't go unheard. We apologize for your experience and would be happy to somehow make this up to you as we do pride ourselves in being open and honest with our customers. Sincerely, Perry Curiston.

Simon in Toronto
Simon in Toronto

Basement renovation

Super friendly. Anytime I had a question they would reply quickly. All the contractors showed up when they said they would. Workmanship was amazing from electrical, plumbing, drywallerss to painters. Very highly recommended.

Hi Simon, thank you for the kind words. We look forward to your next project. Enjoy the new space!!
Dennis and the TROC team.

Gail f.
Gail f.
2 reviews Guelph, ON

Flooring installation

I am extremely happy with the work done. The quality of work and attention to detail was excellent. I would highly recommend your services.

Thank you Gail, we enjoyed working with you!

Bathroom renovation

Bathroom finally turned out ok but took months to complete with many issues. Some good trades but staff were very inconsistent and unreliable. I’d rather spend a little more then deal with these issues.

Sorry, not sure who this is or what the issues were. If this is a real customer, issues could have all be resolved with communication. The T-ROC Team.

Linda in York
Linda in York

Complete home renovation

After a year of planning our fairly significant renovation, we engaged with a contractor to begin work in Sept 2017. After a short time, we expressed concern with the progress made as well as, the workmanship and quality with parts of the renovation. After enlisting the help of Perry (President, TROC) and Todd (Project Manager, TROC, York North branch) with wanting to make our renovation “right”, we engaged with this team to continue completing our renovation. From the get go, they were focused on us, the customer and our expectations, and immediately put our minds to ease. They executed on the plan, maintained regular communications, and said and completed what they claimed they would. A special mention needs to also go to John, who corrected many mistakes that were made with the previous contractor and his workmanship and quality is bar none. We were also very pleased with Dan and the other trades that were brought in to complete our renovation. We are tremendously grateful to Perry, Todd, and team for resurrecting our renovation and for helping us realize our vision. We couldn’t be happier and would not hesitate to use this team (TROC, York North branch) again or to recommend to family and friends.

Thank you very much for the review Linda. It was an absolute pleasure working with you and Pauline. Your house has been beautifully transformed into an open and welcoming place, a place you can feel proud off when you walk through the front door. If there is anything we can do with you in the future please give us a call. Todd and the T-ROC team.

A in Markham
A in Markham

Bathroom renovation

Job was completed in timely manner. Workers cleaned up at end of each day. Project manager was very clear on what was to be done and ensured work was as perfect as possible. Some small issues were resolved quickly even if it meant redoing existing work. In summary, i would recommend this company and also plan to call them when i have future renovations to do.

Thank you for the review. We look forward to working with you on the next renovation. We hope you enjoy the new bathroom as much as we enjoyed working on it.

All the best,

THE T-ROC MARKHAM TEAM

DMM in Markham
DMM in Markham

Basement Renovation

Removal of hot tub and sauna and laundry room remodel Very professional courteous knowledgeable renovators who keep job site clean. They are on time and extremely responsive to our requirements

Thank you for the kind review. It was an absolute pleasure. We hope you enjoy the newly renovated space. We look forward to working with you in the future.
All the best,
Dennis and The TROC Durham and Markham Team

Bathroom reno from hell

I'm not happy about having to write this, but I honestly wish someone had warned me before hiring TROC to do my bathroom.

I should mention at the start that I believe this may be a Toronto TROC based issue only.

I'm just hoping this blurb can help someone else out there avoid the trouble I encountered with these people.

In a nutshell, my experience with the Toronto TROC team was about as pleasant as going through a nasty divorce. Seriously. Just. Awful.

My bathroom reno took 10 weeks to complete and went waaay over budget. Like 50% over their highest original estimate. They originally told me it would be a 3-4 week job.

I realize renos can often last longer and cost more than originally expected. I was even prepared for this. I live in an older home. Stuff happens. I know.

But the amount of extra time they took, and additional money they charged me exceeded the point of being ridiculous.

Absolutely nothing went right on this job. Nothing.
It took them 10 weeks to renovate a standard bathroom in a Victorian house with no changes to the original location of the toliet, sink or shower.

They had to reframe my entire bathroom twice because they did it so poorly the first time. They had to lay down the floor tiles 3 times, and put in a heated floor twice before they got it right.

I could go on and on but I won't. Some parts got even worse.
It was just ugly.

On the bright side, Perry, the owner of the company, is a true professional and a gentleman. In the end he made sure everything got re-done professionally.

For every misstep the TROC team made, they made a correction. Sometimes it had to be done two or three times, but it got done. I really appreciated that. It just felt like pulling teeth though.

So here is my advice to you: unless Perry himself is overseeing your renovation (which in my case he wasn't) I'd stay as far away from these guys as possible--especially if you're in downtown Toronto.

There's a team here using the TROC name that I don't feel come close to producing the type of work that Perry has built his well earned reputation on. At least they didn't at my place.

Like I said at the start, I wish I didn't have to write this. I'm honestly not a complainer by nature, and have never written a review on anything before--good or bad. It's just not what I do.

My experience with TROC in Toronto was just so awful I couldn't in good conscious let someone else fall into the same situation I did.

I should also note that this work was done one year ago, so perhaps they have a new team in Toronto.

Hi Howard Brull, we apologize for what has happened. We do pride ourselves in our work and your 10 year warranty still stands. I appreciate your candid review and it makes me even more vigilant in ensuring the quality of the brand and that our operators are inspected and reviewed regularly. We changed our T-ROC Toronto operator approximately 3 months ago to ensure all customers receive the consistent quality we are known for. A couple points to mention, once we did the demo of your washroom your entire washroom floor was rotten and needed to be restructured resulting in additional time and we did retile the floor 2x, the reason was because the heated floor failed. Nuheat floors stepped up and replaced the floor (a great company), but we did have to remove and retile it. We do appreciate your feedback, Perry Curiston

pmcdowell in Unionville, Ontario
pmcdowell in Unionville, Ontario

Bathroom renovation (with a tub to shower conversion)

We are not new to home renovations, having done our whole main floor last year. We really wish we had known about The Renovators of Canada then as our experience this time around has been so much better.

From our initial consultations with Pina, through to the end of our project which was lead by Sean, it has been a pleasure working with these professionals. They have been careful to listen to what we want, confirming every detail throughout the whole project in an effort to ensure that the final product is exactly what we envisioned. We received online daily records with photos and received timely responses whenever we had a question or a comment of our own to post. Our renovation has come in on budget and on time.

The workmanship was well done. When there was a small glitch (there was only one), it was rectified right away. In particular, the tiling, which was a main feature of our renovation, was done with care, precision and an artist's eye -- our thanks to Luiz for doing such an excellent job!

All the people who worked in our home treated it with respect and care -- the job site was always clean at the end of the day and when the job was finished, you would never have known we had just gone through a renovation (other than the fact that our bathroom has been beautifully transformed!)

I wouldn't hesitate to call TROC again (and probably will) nor would I hesitate to recommend them to others. Our thanks again to Dennis and his whole team for such a positive experience!

Hi Pat, thank you very much for the kind words. It was a pleasure working with you and the outcome of your bathroom is absolutely gorgeous. We will look forward to your next Reno. All the best to you and enjoy the new space.
Dennis and the T-ROC TEAM

More about The Renovators Of Canada

Why choose The Renovators of Canada? For over the past 15 years The Renovators of Canada has grown to locations in Durham, Aurora, Stouffville, Markham, Vaughan, Toronto, Hamilton, Guelph, Kitchener, Waterloo, Barrie, Brantford, and London. Unique to the industry, The Renovators of Canada provides a 10 year warranty on all craftsmanship. This home renovation warranty protection was established to provide peace of mind as home and business owners contemplate renovating a personal or commercial space. Included with the warranty is a complimentary follow-up visit one year after the completion of all renovation projects. T-ROC is a Baeumler Approved Contractor, fully licensed and insured including WSIB. Other affiliations include memberships with the National Kitchen and Bath Association, CARAHS, Better Business Bureau. We have a proven track record working with our customers with full transparency in every aspect of your project. Can’t be present all the time during the renovation process? No worries, we have specialized client software that allows you to see the entire schedule and pictures as the project happens in real time. We care for your home like it’s our own and always conduct ourselves respectfully and professionally. With our motivated and innovative professionals we will transform your house and make your dream home a reality. Visit our website at www.trocanada.com