Big City Developments

Reviews for Big City Developments

Jeff C in Calgary
Jeff C in Calgary

Deck Addition

After looking into a number of contractors, we landed on Big City to do a deck (roof) addition on our property. From the start, everything proceeded perfectly. We discussed what we expected, they advised us what we need to do to help, and the job started on time. As we progressed, as in any renovation, things came up, but all were handled quickly, professionally, and on budget/schedule. Our addition looks like it was part of our home from Day 1 - the compliments continue to come in, and we look forward to many happy nights under cover. Thanks Doug and team for a great job.

Wendy R in Calgary
Wendy R in Calgary

Major deck renovation

We hired Big City Developments (BCD) to renovate our back deck. We wanted to add a full roof over the existing structure. Doug helped us to design the structure and ensured that it would meet with all of the City of Calgary permitting requirements. During the construction we made some changes to the finishes and one significant design element. Doug was very flexible, responsive and gave excellent advice. The crew was professional and the workmanship is outstanding. We are thrilled with the finished project and will definitely be having BCD back to do additional work on our front entry. We would highly recommend BDC.

Lana in Calgary
Lana in Calgary

Excellent Service - they make me look good!

As a realtor, I often am asked for referrals to contractors. I view the service providers I recommend as an extension of my reputation, so I have to be extremely careful about who I refer.

Both times that I've referred Doug and his team to my clients, they have been extremely pleased with his service, communication and the final results.

I am currently referring another client to Big City Developments, without hesitation. They make me look good!

Private User reviews Calgary, AB

Referrals

Big City has completed bathroom renovations for me and I have referred several parties to Big City Developments Inc over several years. My personal satisfaction has been total, without reservation, and each of the parties I have referred have been impressed with the product knowledge and thorough understanding of bylaw and permitting requirements demonstrated by Big City’s principals. In addition, a very thoughtful and thorough planning and consulting phase precedes each job, and contracts are always drawn up in detail. Work is invariably completed professionally in a timely manner and subject to final inspection by the proper authorities. I will not hesitate to have future projects completed for me by Big City Developments Inc and will happily refer friends and colleages to the company.

Private User reviews Calgary, AB

Poor Workmanship & Terrible Attitude

My wife and I hired Big City Developments to do a series of projects summer 2018. The scope of the work was to build a 22’x20’ garage, pour a concrete patio & side walk to the back alley for garbage bins, build a new fence and build a composite deck. We had a few quotations that were lower cost, however they were not able to complete the projects till late summer or early fall. So we hired Doug from Big City Developments – The worst mistake we could have made.

It seemed very strange from the beginning that Doug asked for money up front to start the jobs. We could not really understand this as none of the other contractors that quoted the projects needed money up front. We were soon to find out why he wanted money up front and was unable to provide the references that he originally promised to send.

The dishonesty began right from the start date. Doug gave us a date and then called saying that he would be able to start right away as an opening came up. After a week there was no sign of Doug. When I was finally was able to reach him. He told me that they were unable to start that week as the weather was too bad and the rain it delayed the project. That would have been a legitimate excuse however, it was not the case. I know because I worked in Calgary all week outside and we never got rained out. When I questioned him on this, he changed his story to the Bobcat they use doesn’t operate in the rain as it’s not good for them … Give me a break.

Long story short is the dishonesty continued. After Doug got started it was very apparent that his quality of workmanship and eye for detail was not even close to being on par. His dishonesty became more and more ridiculous. He told us that it was normal for fence boards to shrink ½” over a weekend or special wiring needed to be done if we wanted a motion detector on the outside lights on the garage.

Every time we would question his mistakes such as “why did to put the natural gas line for the garage in the sidewalk to the garage as it interferes with the bins we want to roll out to the alley”? His response was that it was code and the city would not issue a permit if it was anywhere other than the location he used. That was all good again until I spoke later in the week to the inspector himself. He confirmed that Doug was not being truthful. Not a surprise but when I went back to Doug with the inspectors response his only reply was “you don’t want to mess with me today”. The funny thing about this is Doug is no joke is 7 foot tall and it was apparent that he didn’t want to talk about any of his poor workmanship, so he began playing the intimidation card. Using statements like “I’m not in the mood for this sh!t” or “you and your wife expect way too much”.

Needless to say that the dishonesty and poor quantity workmanship continued until we finally said enough is enough and fired him. At the point Doug became very upset and even started making threats to lean my home and has even threatened to beat me up that likely got him a visit by the police. He’s such a great guy.

All I have to say is be very cautious to proceed in any business venture with Doug and Big City Developments if you are looking to have work done. He places his ads in community publications. However I have recently found that there is no background checks or references taken to get a company’s advertisement in these types of publications.

We did hire another contractor to complete the project and fix / cover up some of the mistakes - like concrete being 2 ½” out of square on 16 feet. The replacement contractors that took over were nothing short of amazing. Guess what, they didn’t want a cent until they were done the project and I was satisfied with their work. However the garage floor has begun to crack only a couple months after being poured. Thanks Doug.

I would not hire Doug or Big City Developments again even if it were to paint bird feeders.

As a potential customer you need to wonder how a single job could have been done so poorly with so many accusations and derogatory comments made by the customer when you look at the history of big city developments Inc.

Big city developments inc. is a Provincially licenced, Bonded, Insured company with an A+ BBB accreditation

Big city has done over 850 jobs over the past 12 years with zero complaints and no accusations of dishonesty or misconduct of any kind. We are honest and deal with our customers with respect and professionalism. Seems odd that we would screw up so badly with the solid record we have.

Homestars claims to have investigated this review, yet as the owner of this family run business I was never contacted by homestars to provide information or proof to back up our side of the is fictional storey. Disappointing when people can leave such dishonest and malicious reviews.

This was simply a personality conflict between a disturbed individual and myself. No poor workmanship was done.

Tomie
Tomie
9 reviews CALGARY, AB

Garage

Most of the people that were involved in this project was super nice and profesional, but it were not really a detail oriented... Overall they did really good job and finished within the promissed time frame.

We actually did a lot of extra work for these people. We did everything really well. Not sure where we lost points on this one. We cleaned up work from other contractors and she gave them 10/10 and we got a 6/10.

More about Big City Developments

Garage Builder, Deck Builder, Kitchens and Renovations
Looking for Fences & Gates pros in Calgary?