The Gardener

Reviews for The Gardener

Jdb091963 in North York
Jdb091963 in North York

Lawn Maintenance

Unreliable in delivering the service they promise. Have missed cutting my lawn twice in the last three weeks, and haven't shown up once this year on the day of the week I am to get service. Was pleased in previous years, but terrible service this year.

1 review Aurora, ON

Snow removal

This has been the worst snow removal experience that I have ever had to deal with. From the first snow fall they would never come on time, the driveway was barely cleaned, and though I paid extra for the steps they never cleaned them properly. They charge more than most companies and did a worse job than any I have ever dealt with. A very good excuse was that the snow was too solidified, though that does happen when you come over 24 hours after the snow has already stopped. This is a company I will definitely not be hiring again. The customer service was also horrible, either they do not answer or they are rude and say they will get to it. Overall it was not a good experience and I will not be recommending this service to anyone.

angry customer in Aurora
angry customer in Aurora
1 review Aurora, ON

poor service

The one and the only one snow plowing service was provided at a reasonable time (around 12 hours after the snow stopped) after they charged you the payment at the beginning. then the snow plowing for the second snow fall was 1-2 days after the snow stopped. you could see the driveways for other houses that hired snow plowing service had all been cleaned up. but the Gardener was no show at all despite we called and left message to the company.

Jess in North York
Jess in North York

Landscaping

You will be absolutely happy dealing with The Gardener and all of the staff!! We would highly recommend them for both maintenance packages that we enjoyed as well as the incredible backyard transformation they did for us

Snow Removal in Markham

I contacted The Gardener for a snow removal quote in November. Their automated system bounced an email back to me quoting $500+ for snow removal for a single driveway. I thought that surely had to be an error so I called the office at the number they provided. I got Gordie the office manager on the phone. She was rude and condescending. She emailed me a price list with information on the different tiers of the service. She considered this price list to be a contract and a confirmation that I had accepted the service. I did not return any paperwork to The Gardener as stated in the email. I did not confirm that I wanted any service from them.

I received an overdue notice from them noting that I owed $570. When I called to let them know I hadn’t confirmed service with them, Gordie became irate and aggressive over the phone. I told her to stop servicing my driveway immediately. She later sent us a bill for $226 stating that we needed to pay for the 4 times they came to shovel our driveway. My husband very calmly spoke with her and she reduced he charges to $200. Her reason for doing this was because “we don’t have any proof.”

The Gardener services my neighbours lawn in the summer and their staff is crude and obnoxious. I go inside whenever I see their truck pull up.

Al in Toronto
Al in Toronto

The Gardiner Newmarket

Hired company for the first time this year, on the 1st snowfall they came the following day at 4am, Sonny called to apoligize stating the address was mixed up, 2nd winter snowfall but 24 hours later no show, when you phone them its a recorded message. Dreadfull service they should be ashamed..
Al

WORST COMPANY EVER!!!

THESE PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A THREE FOOT MAPLE TREE AND A WEED! I CAME HOME TO ALL OF MY TREES RIPPED OUT! I AM SO ANGRY! STAY AWAY!

The Gardener Mississauga North -Snow removal services

We have hired the Gardener ( Mississauga North) for the past three years. In 2014 & 2015, they have managed somehow to come and clean our driveway and side walk in a reasonable time. In 2016, we had only problems. After each snow fall nobody have showed up , even though it passed between 8 to 12 hours since the snow stopped . We have called many times and nobody was answering. Finally they answered the e-mails and with rude attitude, blaming us, that we were not patient with them since we are not the only customers. Last year we had 4-5 snow falls of 5 cm or more . Every time , we waited more than 7 hours during the day and nobody from The Gardener was coming to do their job. We were forced to shovel our-self's everything. We wrote and complained about this issue, and asked for explanation. Mr. Trevor was very rude and unhappy about the complain and was blaming us that we are not patient. This time, we have waited more than 11 hours until we have decided to clean our driveway our-self's. The answer from them was always the same: " wait until our guys can get to your location and be patience with the service since you are not the only customer "!!!
Very bad experience, rude people and we were even threaten that they are going to sue us if we dare to post a very bad review on Homestars for their location in Missisauga North.
Well, we are not afraid of them, especially when we have paid for a service more than 600$ and we had received nothing in return !
Based on our bad experience with them, we do not recommend anyone to hire The Gardener for their services !

Jeff in Vaughan
Jeff in Vaughan

Terrible Job in Vaughan

I hired this company in Vaughan to do Spring cleanup in my garden, put down some mulch, and overseed my lawn. I requested a quote by telephone, and was told that the local guy would be in touch. He showed up unannounced on Good Friday (April 14th) and rang my doorbell. I was home anyway, so walked the property with him.

I explained what I wanted: the edges of the garden to be cleanly cut, for the garden to be thoroughly weeded, a couple of holly bushes to be transplanted, a thick layer of mulch to be put down, and for the grass to be cut and then overseeded. I was told that was part of the "Spring Cleanup" but that mulch and overseeding would be extra. I would get a quote.

The quote was a bit difficult to decipher, but I eventually was able to get it clarified and ensure that it covered what I had asked for. Making arrangements for the work to be done was a bit more difficult as there appeared to be no way for me to contact the local person directly. Eventually we did work it out, and he came on Thursday, May 11th.

I met him at the property in the morning, and again walked it with him. He seemed to have forgotten what I wanted so I again specified: cut the edges of the garden, transplant a couple of bushes, weed, mulch, and cut the grass and then overseed the lawn.

I came home Thursday, and none of the work had been done. I did receive a call from Laith telling me that the mulch he had sourced wasn’t the right quality so they would be back the next day. When I got home after work on the Friday, the mulch was down, but none of the other work appeared to have been done. Masses of weeds could still be seen through the uneven, thinly-spread mulch, the edges of the garden were not cleanly cut at all—or where they were, very sloppily—grass had not been removed from garden beds, the bushes had not been transplanted, and the lawn had not been overseeded. They had cut the grass.

I sent an email to Laith the next morning expressing my displeasure, detailing the issues I had with the work, and attaching pictures (one of which is attached to this review). I also retracted my credit card authorisation. I invited a call to discuss when arrangements could be made to complete the work.

I received an extremely aggressive and confrontational call from Laith. He was yelling at me, interrupting me when I attempted to speak with him, insulted me, and told me that he had not read the email or looked at the photographs. He told me that he wanted to come and discuss the matter “face-to-face” (his tone gave me sufficient concern that I made sure my neighbour would be home that afternoon). I invited him to read the email and come over in the afternoon. He did not come to the property and did not call.

I sent another email on the 15th, setting out more details of my complaints. I suggested a resolution, and explained that if he didn’t want to correct the work, he could provide me with invoices for the mulch and we could discuss the appropriate compensation for the work that he did do.

I never heard from him again. He eventually charged my credit card for the full service (which he did not provide). I am disputing the credit card charges with Visa.

I don’t know about other regions, but don’t hire this company in Vaughan under any circumstances.