Cando Renovations

Jen McCormack in Toronto
Jen McCormack in Toronto
2 reviews Whitby, ON

Terrible Workmanship

Very disappointed with this company. We hired them to widen a doorway between the kitchen and diningroom and take out 2 bulkheads and repair the wall/ceiling as appropriate. Bert arrived quickly and gave us a quote and started the work on time as promised. It went downhill from there.

- they tore out the bulkheads and tried to patch the ceiling with little bits of drywall instead of using an actual larger piece of drywall with the result that the ceiling was terribly and very noticeably uneven - ceiling was out over 1.5 inches in less than 3 feet on both sides where the bulkhead was taken out
- they were to create a small bulkhead dividing the kitchen and dining room [approx. 7 inches] and screwed it up so they had to take it out and re-do it with the result that it is also noticeably uneven and now, 9 months later, the drywall tape is starting to peel off of the bulkhead
- one of their guys went into our basement in order to access the ceiling and stood on our brick fireplace ledge and crumbled pieces off the brick and left it on the carpet
- they put a huge gouge in the hardwood floor and when it was brought to Bert's attention his response was "these things happen". He could have cared less

I feel that this job was too small for him and he sent his "B" team to do it. Bert does not like any sort of criticism and when confronted with these problems his response was "just get someone else to do it and send me the bill" and he hung up. Of course we did not send him the bill, he had no intention of paying it anyway.

The rest of our kitchen reno went off without a hitch and it now looks beautiful. All of the other contractors were fantastic to work with and we had no problems at all with them. We aren't terribly picky or critical and are pretty easy going people but we were spending a lot of money to renovate our kitchen and wanted it to look good. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

We consulted with a number of different people/contractors who ALL agreed with us that it was terrible workmanship and never should have been left the way it was.

Yes, this review is being written about 9 months after we had the work done but Bert was never going to return to make things right anyway.

I supposed if you have a large job requiring the removal of a load bearing wall that may be fine, but I would never recommend this company to anyone.

In response to your review on our company. I am sorry you are not happy with the renovation that was competed for you. Regarding your damaged floor. At our first visit I explained removal of your wall could possibly do damage to your floors. You are correct in that the ceiling is not level. as you are aware your home was built a long time ago and has plaster ceiling. You instructed us to remove the kitchen cabinet bulkhead and fill the spots with drywall and make it smooth. We had a professional drywall company do this part of the project. due to the improper installation of the plaster ceiling we where not able to make the completely smooth.
we did the best we could under your instructions. When we installed the bulkhead on the wall that was removed you wanted a drop of 6 inches. After the kitchen cabinet installer did his final measure he needed the bulkhead raised by 1 inch. Which we did at no cost to you. You mentioned that you told our team we left a mess and that we totally ignored you. If you remember you where never home or avalible during the entire renovation . There was never anyone home. we left your home I a clean manner after very work day.

Robert
Robert
6 reviews Ajax, ON

Load bearing wall removal

Burt was quick to respond and visit our home. It was evident the first time he came to have a look that he has extensive knowledge on removing load bearing walls. He advised what could be done and the best way possible. Even during the planning stage when we hit a few snags Burt called a site meeting and with his experience was able to make suggestions to allow us to continue. Burt was very helpful in advising what to do next as far as getting the permits from the city and a structural engineer to make up the drawings. The crew and demo happened all in one day...amazing! They were on time, polite and courteous and did an awesome job. I would highly recommend Burt and his team for any project. I plan on hiring them again to work on my basement reno. (Before and after pic)

Thank you for allowing cando renovations to help with your Load Bearing wall removal. It was a pleasure working for you. We hope to help with your future renovation needs. Cheers Bert

Casey
Casey
1 review Pickering, ON

Load bearing wall removal + more

Bert and his team were at our house today to take down a load bearing wall, install a new beam and remove the tile floor in our kitchen. They did an absolutely amazing job. I appreciated how thorough they were at resolving issues made by our original builder and helping us find a great solution to some ductwork that needed to be moved. I was very impressed with their quality of work, not to mention their professionalism and speed. I recommend them wholeheartedly.

Thank you for allowing cando renovations to help with your Load Bearing wall removal. It was a pleasure working for you. Cheers Bert

Garry in Toronto
Garry in Toronto
1 review Pickering, ON

Speed. Service. Satisfaction.

Having dealt with several contractors over the past 6 months, Bert and his Team separated themselves from their peers. From initial contact to completion the Team at Cando were professional and focused. Their experience was clearly on display as they executed the removal of my load bearing wall and installation of my beam.

I contacted Bert on a Tuesday morning and he was able to stop by that afternoon after another job. I had a quote by the end of the day, as promised, and it was very competitive. They were able to schedule me in very quickly (I already had plans) to help me keep my project moving along and by Thursday mid-afternoon the beam was installed…and looks great. Speed!

While Cando was only contracted to complete the beam install, Bert went above and beyond. The beam was part of a larger home renovation and Bert noticed some other garbage and offered to remove it. Through the course of the day, Bert offered some thoughts on my overall project, provided the name of a kitchen contractor, and on a later date he even stopped by to drop off some flooring samples. Service!

Rarely do I take the time to review anything/anyone, but Cando, Bert, and his Team were great to deal with and I’d have no problem recommending them to folks looking for a contractor. Satisfaction!

Thank you for the great review. it was a pleasure working for you . Thank you for coffees. believe it or not that does not happen often. I hope the rest of your project goes as you planned. Cheers Bert

Taha in Mississauga
Taha in Mississauga
1 review , ON

Weight bearing wall removal for Kitchen reno

From the initial quote to the actual work Bert and his team were extremely friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. They recessed an LVL into the ceiling space and removed two structural walls in the kitchen in less than a day. He provided some good suggestions on what I can do myself and wasn’t looking to upsell to get more work. I can see why Berts so highly rated, i’d be happy to recommend to family and friends. I’ll be using Cando again for other renos.

Thank you for allowing cando renovations to help with your Load Bearing wall removal. it was pleasure working with you.

Jason in Whitby
Jason in Whitby

Bathroom and wall removal

Bert was referred to us by a friend. They recently had their bathroom renovated and said he had done an excellent job. So I gave him a call to see about renovating our master bathroom and removing a wall on the main floor to open up the kitchen and living room. I contacted Bert and he came by the following day and provided me with an estimate. His price was fair and we decided to move forward with the renovation. Bert and his team started work the following week. They showed up on time and completed the job ahead of schedule. They did an amazing job on the bathroom. The removal of the wall really opened up the main floor. Bert and his team got rid of all the waste and left my house tidy. My wife really like that. Bert and his team were definitely professionals. I would surely hire him again.

Jason

Jason thank you for the great review. it was a pleasure working for you. Cheers Bert

Terry D. in Mississauga
Terry D. in Mississauga

Load bearing wall removal

We recently had Bert and his team remove a load bearing wall for us. I contacted Bert in the evening and he was able to come by the very next day to take a look at the scope of work and give us a quote.

We were thrilled that he was able to fit us into his schedule the very next week (within 3 working days of first contacting him). Bert and his team were extremely professional and efficient with the work. They had to install 2 steel beams and 3 posts to support the beams.

It was not easy work and there were some unforeseen issues which resulted in additional work having to be done. However, I was never stressed or worried as Bert really knows his stuff and he was able to come up with the solution and successfully complete the job. He was also very forthcoming about additional costs - which were very reasonable given the amount of work done.

I would not hesitate to recommend Bert and his team to anyone. They were also very neat and cleaned up after themselves once the job was done. Thank you Bert and team for the great job that you did!

Thank you allowing Cando Renovations to help with your Load Bearing wall removal. it was pleasure working with you please thank your parents for sitting tirelessly for 5 days .I know they are here on a Holliday. I guess that is what parents do . cheers Bert

Joe P in Whitby
Joe P in Whitby

Load Bearing Wall Removal

We just had our wall removed by Bert and his team at Cando Renovations and the job that these guys did went beyond our expectations...So far and beyond the minimum requirements didnt exist anymore....My wife and I are way more than happy of the result...My only "concern" during the 2-day job they did was that these guys showed up too early..LOL...

Again, Bert and your crew, thank you so much...

Joe and Celeste
Ajax

Sorry for showing up on time thank you for allowing us to look after your Load Bearing wall removal cheers Bert

Z.B. in Vaughan
Z.B. in Vaughan

Load Bearing Wall Removal

Bert came as promised, managed to squeeze this job in his schedule, and delivered a quick and great job. Good and professional job done in record time. Even though he had to adjust his work (not due to his problem) he made sure that it is being done the right way.

Thank you for having us work with you on your Load Bearing wall removal. Please do not hesitate to call if you have any other projects cheers Bert

Sharee in Toronto
Sharee in Toronto

Basement Reno

We first hired Bert and his team in Dec. 2015 to remove a load bearing wall.

They were very accommodating in keeping the mess/dirt to a minimum with having a baby in the home. The pricing was fair and had it done in a day in a half. Because we were so pleased, when it came time to fix up the basement in-law apartment, we hired him again. We had the drop down ceiling replaced with drywall ceiling and installed pot lights; replaced bathroom tub with a walk-in shower. They were able to extend the length of the kitchen counter by matching up the existing countertop and cupboards. You wouldn’t even know it was extended after the fact. Bert & his crew were able to start earlier than anticipated. They were always here on time, very friendly, always cleaning up the area at the end of the day and have attention to detail. Every time I asked about something, they were already on it. Bert under promises and over delivers has great suggestions and is honest which can be hard to come by these days. We’ll definitely use them again for our next project.

Thank you for having us return and help with your renovations needs.it was a pleasure working with you. Cheers Bert

More about Cando Renovations

**Specializing in Load Bearing Wall Removal**
***
Cando Renovations Inc ( Bert de Haan)started renovations in 1975
We do all home and office renovations
We take pride in our work
Owner operated
We always put the customer's needs first.
On time and on budget renovations.

Convert your bathtub into a shower with the Safeway Step. Save thousands!
Installed for you in two hours.

Our services include:
**Load bearing wall removal and engineering**
Custom kitchen & bathroom cabinets, Ceramic, Slate, Marble tile work, Plumbing, Gas fire places, In floor heating

We also are experts in wheelchair- handicapped accessible renovations. Windows, doors, siding. soffit facia, Skylights.