Renovation Advisors

Reviews for HomeStars

M. Cooper in Old Toronto
M. Cooper in Old Toronto

Installing replacement kitchen faucet

I recently called New Canadian Drain & Plumbing and made an appointment to have a replacement faucet installed in my kitchen. From the moment Raymond arrived, he was courteous, tidy and pleasant, and explained everything about the job. It was not a complicated procedure, but I felt extremely confident in his abilities. It was a great service visit, and I will definitely call this company, and this serviceman, in the future. Thanks, Raymond!

debbie rae from Newmarket
debbie rae from Newmarket

Five Star Painting

We used Five Star Painting to paint all of our doors, baseboards and bathroom cabinets. We were very impressed with their professionalism. They were here on time and we would use them again and would highly recommend the Company

Gordon Halfin from Thornhill
Gordon Halfin from Thornhill

Aviv Plumbing - Bathroom Plumbing repairs

I needed to have the thermal cartridge in a shower replaced and have the thermal cartridge in my other shower adjusted because it was not properly installed by another plumber. I contacted one very well known plumbing company and their quote (not including the cartridge) was outrageous. I called Michael Aviv at the recommendation of a friend. The quote given was very reasonable for the work to be done. The plumber who did the work (Andriy) was friendly and made sure that settings were done to my preference. The whole experience from my call to Michael to the completion and payment for the work was very positive. I highly recommend Aviv Plumbing, the price is fair and the service is outstanding.

Zaid, Toronto, On
Zaid, Toronto, On

It's not like it used to be

Homestars is not like how it used to be anymore. As business owner it was great until last year when they changed how customers can contact business. The calls an potential customers dripped while they raised there price and added lots of fees four extras to get more clients
It's not your good reviews anymore.
Lots of new companies popped up suddenly with tens of great reviews. So they used successful companies reputation to build a goods reputation to homestars and then they dropped the mask and showed there real face by charging tons of money to keep your company up and any new company can pay and have there reviews set up.
Not very impressed as a small company owner. I won't renew may listing this year which mean all my investment over the past years will go down the drain. But at $3600/annually + tx is ridicules. There is no fair competition between companies here....its who pay more add that's make me even questioning the whole site.

Hi Zaid, thank you for sharing your concerns. Our goal is to easily connect homeowners with great, highly trusted home service providers. When we make changes to our product it's to enhance this and give both homeowners and service providers more value. I understand you still have a Brand Builder Membership with us. One of our Customer Success Coaches is reaching out to you to see how we can help you increase your results with your current membership. If you'd like to share additional feedback, feel free to reach out to me as well - Sarah Steele, Director of Customer Success, [email protected]

HomeStars is not the same as it use to be

I am a client of HomeStars for several years now. It is not a customer friendly company. I used to have my reviews checked (so say my clients) but when a bad review was posted by a client who actually did not pay the agreed amount HomeStars stood by the client, not by our company.
We also noticed that some companies from our industry were able to post not less than 90 revues at one! How is this possible?
Recently changed very much to the worse. Sue to some product testing I am getting leads that already expired! Within 2 minutes of posting them?
Pure waist of my time.

Hi Klara & Roman, I understand you're not happy with a negative review posted to your page. The reviews are considered an opinion on your service and we don't arbitrate who is right or wrong. All the reviews on the site go through screening before they are published and are subject to audits to ensure they are written by real customers. A company caught faking reviews gets a heavy penalty to their Star Score. I believe a few members of our team have been in contact with you regarding your questions about the leads. If you feel this has not been resolved feel free to reach out to our customer help team again at [email protected]

House Depot
House Depot

Terrible and frustrating Customer Service: find other alternatives for your business

Terrible customer service.
I have been with homestars for a decade now, to me the customer service got much worse from a year ago, due to the following reasons
1. I was told by my homestars adviser, if I sign up for premium ad, then i will not be paying for email Leads which the customer sent. so i registered for both Hvac category and Electrical category. over $1600 per month extra.
then now i receive all the time this free Email Leads is free up to April 2018.
so i called, emailed, and texted few times, no answer yet for about a month. although they are charging the extra $1600 plus tax.
3. i asked them before paying $1600 plus tax, i need to see how many extra Leads a company will get, which is very simple. It took her a month, but still no answer
4. so i called the supervisor numerous times, he does not have a slight curtersy, for once in all of them to return my call. it is very belittling feeling i get when i see such disrespect.
5. i call, email, and text my homestars adviser, has never happenned to answer the call right away. AND WHEN SHE CALL YOU(I MEAN ME), THEN IN THE MIDDLE OF CONVERSATION, SHE CUTS OFF , WITHOUT ANSWERING THE QUESTION, AND SAYS I HAVE TO GO
VERY RUDE AND IMPOLITE.
I really do not know what kind of management this company has, very disrespectful to even to their own loyal clients of 10 years
6. Removing a bad review from a reviewer, which i have not done the job for him/her, is another story. it is totally at her/his(homestars personnel) whim to remove unfounded reviews.
As i have had instances, which the customer had written bad reviews on my competitors homestars, and they were easily removed
7. from the moment i asked them why i am not receiving hvac Email Leads, it has been two weeks all the Job Email Leads have been stopped to me. i called, texted, emailed to my homestars adviser, no use. is it grudge towards their clients like me? i do not see any other reason

unfortunately i got stocked with a homestars for 10 years, but seem i have to be looking for other alternatives, such as google reviews, facebook, and other local business listings, which they value their clients as well as the homeowners.

Hi House Depot, I understand one of our Customer Success Coaches has been in regular contact with you to resolve your concerns and you are continuing your Brand Builder Membership with us. If you feel there is anything left outstanding feel free to contact either our help team at [email protected] or myself to share any additional feedback. I'm glad we were able to help and I look forward to seeing your continued success with the membership. Sarah Steele - Director of Customer Success, [email protected]

HomeStars is a pay to win company.

Been on HomeStars since 2007. It was great until 2016..
It used to be all about your star rating and reviews. The higher your rating the higher you were on the first page!
Hahahahaha not now...
they no longer support small busines or hard working businesses.

Now it's who can pay more to be at the top of the list VS a company's reputation.
you have a 95% star rating? well guess what, if you pay $750 +/ month your company will be above that company with a 95% star rating.
HS is just another company that was great with a great concept, but it was bought out buy an American company driven by GREED!

The organic search order on HomeStars is based on the businesses' reputation. I believe you are referring to the ad spaces which have been part of the HomeStars paid memberships since the beginning. The look of the site has changed over the years, so I can see how there may be some confusion. Feel free to reach out to our help team if you'd like to discuss further, [email protected]

Andy from Toronto
Andy from Toronto

Windows installation

The service was excellent the people install my windows in less time than they had told me the installer were true professional and my sale person knew what he was talking about

More about HomeStars

You read reviews on movies, hotels, cars and books right? But what about the most expensive purchase of all, your house. How do you find quality home improvement providers? HomeStars offers you up to date reviews on home improvement providers across the country. Written by people like you.