Mac Fab Fabrics

Fabric Shops
600 Queen Street West Toronto ON M6J 1E3
HomeStars  >  Fabric Shops in Toronto  >  Mac Fab Fabrics  >  Poor service, failure to provide refund

Poor service, failure to provide refund

On June 1, I ordered drapery fabric, drapery rods (which MacFAB agreed to cut to a custom size), and fling rods from MacFAB. The young woman who took the order seemed very helpful and assured me that the fabric and rods 'usually' came 'within a week.' I paid, in full, on my credit card. When, 2 weeks later, I had not heard from the company, I called and was told that they had a wrong number and so had not been able to reach me and that the fabric was unavailable. The last four digits of the telephone number the seemingly helpful young woman had written down bore no relation to the phone number I had given her. I told her that, because her error contributed to the delay that meant 2 more weeks without curtains on my bedroom windows (which face a public park) I was 'ticked off' at the delay; she did not apologize but offered the excuse that she 'did her best.'
At this point the store owner said he could get a comparable fabric which was marginally cheaper; I ordered it and he processed a credit card refund for the difference in price. (He also explained to me that he was looking forward to the point 4 years down the road when he would retire--not a way to make a customer feel her business is valued!).
A week later the drapery rods arrived, the day before the installer was to arrive at my home. When I went to pick them up, I discovered they had not been cut. They promised to have them cut by 4:00 p.m. When I called at 4:00 they were not ready. When I asked when they would be ready, the owner got very angry and refused to answer; when I asked again when they would be ready, he told me I 'was not a nice person.' I hung up on him. 30 minutes later he called back, calmer, to say they were ready.
When I went back a second time to pick them up, the clerk with whom I spoke (a very pleasant and efficient woman) realized the fling rods were not with them. In fact they had not been ordered. She ordered them and they arrived two days later (June 23) when the fabric that had been my second choice also arrived. The fling rods were the wrong length and she told me that the length I had ordered was 'no longer available.' I asked for a refund ($80 + HST) on the rods and was told that she could not process a credit card refund because the owner would not give the clerks the necessary code for the credit card company to do so; I should come back the following morning when the owner would be there. I came back the following morning, he was not there, and I was told again that nothing could be done (the young woman apologized this time).
On June 26 I called and managed to speak with the owner. He told me the fling rods were now in. I asked if they were the length I had ordered, in consultation with his clerk, and he said they were not. I then asked once again that a refund be posted to my credit card. He told me once again that I 'was not a nice person,' that I should contact MacFAB's accounting office for a refund which would be issued as a cheque, and that 'I could wait like everyone else' for the cheque to be issued. I e-mailed the company at the address on the invoice that same day (June 26) explaining the situation and asking for the refund. Two months later, I have not received an acknowledgement or a refund.