Brown's Home Heating and A/C

1035 Toy Ave. Unit 17 Pickering ON L1W 3N9
HomeStars  >  Heating & Air Conditioning in Ajax  >  Brown's Home Heating and A/C

Reviews for Brown's Home Heating and A/C

Ken
Ken
1 review Whitby, ON

Substandard Unprofessional Installation

I hired Brown's to install a new tankless water heater bought from Home Depot, an authorized retailer. I chose Brown's as they are authorized licensed contractors of Rheem tankless water heaters.

Not only do the issues described below speak to the lack of skilled workmanship, they speak to the lack of professionalism in addressing them.

- After the installation, I read the user’s manual and discovered the service valves were incorrectly installed in the reverse configuration. The end with the union nut should be attached to the water heater. Instead, the unions are attaching the service valves to the flex water lines. Moreover, the purge valves should adjoin the water heater, while the main line valves should adjoin the water lines. The reverse configuration is true in my case. See attached picture.

- Black iron pipe was used to connect the Pressure Relief valve to the hot water service valve. Iron will corrode when subjected to water, which likely explains the next issue.

- Dirty brown water is running from the hot water (pictures attached). As it was evident the discolouration was not going away, I informed Brown’s on Dec 14 2017. I received no word from Brown’s, so I notified Brown’s a 2nd time by phone call (Dec 19) and was given the runaround with the fault pointed at the water heater. I was directed to talk to Home Depot. Issues with the water heater should be handled by the contractor directly with Rheem, not with Home Depot. This is outlined in the owner's manual, and was previously confirmed by Brown’s. The correctness of the installation should first be investigated before pointing fingers at the water heater.

- The Pressure Relief discharge line should end at the floor drain so as to avoid hot water sprays that could damage property or scald people. Brown’s installed a single 3ft tube that ends 6in short of the floor. The floor drain is another 5ft away laterally. The concern is with scalding sprays if anyone is in close proximity should the pressure valve activate. The same concern applies when I stand beside the water heater to manually trip the valve lever in order to test its proper function (repeated annually).

- Brown's is still in possession of my old water tank. They have yet to return it to an Enercare drop-off location. Until it is dropped off, Enercare continues to bill me the rental fee.

- As another HomeStars reviewer noted, Karen (titled "Needed and New A/C unit and new Furnace Air Cleaner"), Brown’s left a mess in the work area in the basement. Furthermore, a single drop cloth was used for covering only the carpeted stairs, yet leaving hardwood and ceramic flooring unprotected. I requested for more drop sheets, but the technician only had one. Outdoor dirt and leaves were left on the hardwood and ceramic, as well as the mess in the basement. When asked for it to be cleaned, the reply I was given was that he is a technician and it is not his job.

This experience with Brown's has been unpleasant. Until the issues are fixed, we do not trust the quality of the water in the house (e.g., to drink, to cook with). The standard of installation does not measure up to highly-skilled licensed tradesmen, and the services rendered have been unprofessional.

---

Reply to Company's Response:
Christine,

While I had plans scheduled during the Holidays, I still tried to work around my plans just so I could get the issues fixed ASAP. There was contaminated water running through my home, which caused stress and mental anguish from possible exposure to any adverse health effects.

That said, even the appointments you proposed were inconvenient for yourself. For example, in reference to the Saturday appointment you noted, I had asked your representative what time the technician would be able to drop by. He said he would confirm after talking with the technician. In fact, I never heard back from anyone at Brown's.

So you can see I tried coordinating with Brown's, all the while inconveniencing me and my plans in order to work around your schedule, which as it turned out, you could not even keep. I have a transcript of this exchange between your representative and I, which I readily can share if you would like to read for yourself.

Along similar lines, you chose to believe your technician that I asked him to sweep the entire basement. The truth of the matter is that I asked him to clean only the mess that he created in the basement (outdoor dirt, leaves, wood chips, PVC pipe shavings, wire clippings, screws on the floor, etc). Your installers should be expected to clean up the mess he/she created, and come prepared with whatever equipment is necessary to perform the cleanup (cloths, broom, shop vac, etc). Your technician was set and ready to leave if I had not stopped him and asked if he was going to clean up. And when I did, the response he gave was that it was not his job to clean up and he did not have a broom. It wasn't until I further pursued this matter with your salesperson that he himself agreed to come by to clean up. This seems to be a recurring issue with Brown's, as I see another customer experienced the same issue and wrote a HomeStars review about it. See the review from Karen (titled "Needed and New A/C unit and new Furnace Air Cleaner").

You claim to stand behind your customers. Rather than you determining the cause of the contaminated water with your licensed trade skills, it was left to me to determine the exact faults in your installation. I relayed my findings to you in more than one occasion. Instead of apologetically correcting the issue right away, you passed-off responsibility and accountability onto the manufacturer, Rheem.

As authorized licensed contractors of Rheem tankless water heaters, you already have a relationship with Rheem and should be familiar with their products and policies. Your excuse of not having the owner's manual, or not being the supplier of the tank exhibits a message that is opposite to your statement of "standing behind your customers". Rather, it is evident of your lack of accountability. Furthermore, the manner of your response shows the lack of professionalism in owning up to your mistakes and the lack of accepting responsibility.

Hello Ken. When the issue of the brown water was brought to our attention we did offer 3 appointment day and times (including Saturday) which were not convenient for you. We subsequently offered you three different times for a visit, again none of these were convenient. You did agree to another day and time, and we attended at that time and made some changes which have resolved your issue.
We suggested that you talk to the place that you purchased the water heater from because as a consumer that is what I would do. As we did not have the owners manual, we didn't know that that was what it recommended. As we didn't supply the tank if there was an issue with warranty we would not have been able to process it or register that there was a problem.
Regarding the pressure relief discharge line, it was correctly installed according to the current code book. In fact the code states that the relief valve MUST end between 5 to 12" from the floor.
Regarding your comments about the possibility of getting scalded, the water temperature for the tankless system is set according to Canadian and municipality safety guidelines. Your water temperature has been set according to those guidelines, so scalding is extremely unlikely. The water temperature that would come out of the tank is the same temperature that would come out of your taps. The water temperature in the conventional tank that you had prior to this tankless system would have been set to 140 in order to control bacteria, but the tankless system we installed is set to 120 (factory settings) because there is no standing water and so the required set temperature point is lower.
Your old water tank was returned on your behalf to the depot in Whitby in December (prior to you writing this review). Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help if Enercare continues to bill you.
Your floors were swept up ... in fact the sales person returned personally to do this because you asked the technician to sweep your entire basement, but refused to let him use your broom to do this because you have an "upstairs broom" that you said can't be used in the basement.
As a small, family run company, we stand behind our customers by making things right, wherever possible, if you are not happy. I believe the problem you were experiencing has been resolved, and I hope that I have address all of the concerns you have raised here. If there are any outstanding issues, please don't hesitate to contact me at the office at 905.428.0146 and I will do my best to make sure that they are addressed.
Thanks, Christine

lori in Pickering
lori in Pickering
1 review Pickering, ON

Furnace Tune-up & Honest Opinion on my 17 Year Furnace

Used Brown's Home Heating for my Yearly Furnace Tune up for the first time ever. We are totally satisfied with this company and the employee who serviced our 17 year Furnace. Being a home owner of 16 years and owning 2 homes, this is the first time a company has actually explained step by step what they were doing. Down the road this is a company I value for my new furnace, due to the company/employee "honesty" that my furnace was showing signs it was still ok for now.

1 review Ajax, ON

2 Issues of Poor Installation

Very disappointed with my experience with Brown's and would not recommend them. I had purchased a hot water tank from them and had them install it. The owner Stephen sent 2 inexperienced guys who put the heater on a cart and rolled the cart with dirty wheels down my carpeted basement steps without using a tarp of any kind. They assembled the exhaust with the incorrect glue, (even I could tell by the colour that it was the wrong cement). I questioned it and the owner Stephen agreed and sent a senior installer to my home to reinstall the exhaust. I gave Stephen a second chance and hired him to install a gas line for my BBQ. The owner sent a young installer who didn't tighten the gas valve on the meter. My neighbour complained about a strong smell of gas, I called Stephen who arrived and tightened the valve. He drove off without any apology or acknowledgement of the carelessness of his installer.
I recently had a new furnace installed by another company who advised me that the installers of the hot water tank (Brown's) recognized a red flag with the installation. A flexible hose from the main gas pipe to the water heater was used instead of metal pipe. I paid for these installers to fix again another mistake made by Brown's installers. The reason I am writing this is that I don't want other consumers to experience the problems I did. This is a natural gas installation, there is really no room for error by an installer. If this company is willing to pay me the $150.00 I had to pay the other installer to fix their installation mistake, I will be happy to remove this poor rated review.

Cam Burrows in Toronto
Cam Burrows in Toronto
1 review Whitchurch-Stouffville, ON

Had a Heater Installed, then changed to a furnace

We had Brown's Home Heating come and first put in a heater in our separate garage/work shop, but then were told we could change it to a Furnace - which we did. It works amazing. There were a few little bumps along the way, but it has all been corrected.

Thanks for the professional service.

Gord in Pickering
Gord in Pickering
1 review Pickering, ON

Home Heating

I had a technician come over to check on our Furnace. As I had a bad experience with another Home Heating company I was more than pleasantly surprised when the technician arrived. He was more than honest and told me what he was doing every step of the way.

I'll be using Brown's Home Heating for my furnace and air conditioning needs in the future. Thanks for a fast, honest response to my furnace problems. PS I don't usually write reviews like this.

Hello Gord, and thank you for your business. We are so happy that your experience with Brown's was positive. If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact us.

Karen
Karen
22 reviews Whitchurch-Stouffville, ON

Needed and New A/C unit and new Furnace Air Cleaner

I hired Brown's Home Heating and A/C to replace my mothers old Air Conditioner and also replace her Furnace Air Cleaner. My mother was happy to have a new air conditioner, as the old unit was about 15 years old, so it was time. Next summer she won't have to worry about her A/C stopping in the heat.

Review has 2 previous versions

Hello there ... We understand that you were not happy with the work that was done at your house and we did return to fix the problems. We have dealt with the technician responsible for your original install and that situation should never happen again in the future. We apologize for the inconvenience that was caused and if there is any outstanding mess would be happy to return and make whatever changes/cleaning is required. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or unresolved issues. Regards, Christine

Janine in Vaughan
Janine in Vaughan
8 reviews Whitby, ON

Furnace, Fireplace and HRV maintenance

Although I live in Maple I asked Steve to come to my house to do my annual furnace, fireplace and HRV maintenance because of the impression he made when he came to a Whitby house for me to quote on replacing an electrical heating system with Gas. Matt did an excellent job and took the time to explain to me how I could ensure my heat generating equipment operated most efficiently. They are competitive, professional and thorough. When I need a new furnace, AC or fireplace I will call them.

Vince from Courtice
Vince from Courtice
1 review Courtice, ON

HVAC install

Replaced with Goodman AC GSX16 and Furnace GMVC95 this week. Decided on Goodman because quick access to parts, and Brown's because of 10 year labour/parts warranty, and good Homestars reviews with A+ rating on the Better Business Bureau. Installed professionally by veteran Larry and Ryan, and owner Steve came by to help over the 1.5 day install. Very hardworking from 11am to 8pm, then next day 9:30am to noon due to unexpected discoveries - previous AC had under-amperaged wiring, and had to be replaced without extra cost. Steve is incredibly knowledgeable! Very impressed by quality, professionalism, quick follow up for more filters, and AC cover, what was delivered was what was quoted by sales Steve Boulton! Would highly recommend Brown's.

More about Brown's Home Heating and A/C

Brown's Home Heating - the GREEN heating and air conditioning specialists!