Denys Builds Designs

54 Mason Terrace Ottawa ON K1S 0K9
HomeStars  >  Renovation Advisors in Ottawa  >  Denys Builds Designs

Reviews for Denys Builds Designs

Window Restoration

I was very close to undertaking a complete window replacement of my 120-year-old windows when someone recommended that I speak to Paul Denys about restoration. Because my top requirement was maintaining the character of my home, I decided to go ahead with the restoration after consulting with Paul, and doing some research on restoration vs. replacement. In hindsight, I am extremely happy with my decision, and I am extremely happy I found Paul. Denys Builds Designs are true craftsmen. Their workmanship is superb. Paul's knowledge of building science is deep. Now my 120-year-old windows look and function like new. I am also very pleased with their thermal performance in my first winter with them. There is no way I could have reproduced the beauty or character of my original windows had I replaced them. I also know my restored windows will last for the rest of my lifetime (and then some). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Denys Builds Designs, whether it is for a restoration project or any other type of build or renovation.

I get a immense feeling of pride when we have an opportunity to reawaken a grand home from a time long past. Now they operate as easily as the day they were installed. What even made this even more special is our client already had extensive hands-on renovation construction experience of his own and could truly appreciate the efforts made to restore their windows.

Dave B from Ottawa
Dave B from Ottawa
3 reviews Ottawa, ON

Small bathroom reno

We hired Paul to renovate our tiny bathroom, but we also wanted a longer tub. Paul was the only contractor that we spoke to who took the time to research and suggest the appropriate products for us to choose from. We ended up splurging a bit (since this is our only full bathroom in the house, and wanted it to be really nice) and added things like a heated towel rail and underfloor heating - which is super nice now the cold weather has arrived.
Paul pays extremely close attention to detail and certainly doesn't cut corners (in fact I'd say he's a bit of a perfectionist).
We chose a rather 'challenging' tile option - lots of long narrow tiles from floor to ceiling. He measured multiple times and layed out the tiles, and levelled the floor & ceiling all around (which definitely were not level to start with), to make sure that there were a whole number of tiles that just fit. The result is spectacular and I'm sure could have looked awful if a cheaper contractor without that level of care had done it.
We also had regular check ins each day to review progress and go over any design choices / questions.

This was exceptional renovation to participate in. It brought out the best in us. What made this project most special was the collaborative working relationship with Dave. Dave was actively engaged on a daily bases which made our job so much easier.

pstokoe in Ottawa
pstokoe in Ottawa

Window repair/renovation

We have an 83 year-old home which had a range of issues with the windows, including broken sash cords, missing hinges, misaligned stops, etc. We had been thinking we would have to replace all our windows, but then learned of Paul's work in renovating windows in other older and heritage homes. So we consulted with Paul, and are very glad that we did. Within just a few hours, he renovated all eight of our windows that had the issues, including installing new weatherstripping and waxing sash channels for smoother operation. Now our windows are as good and efficient as new, and much more long-lasting than new windows would be, at a fraction of the cost of replacing them. Our restored windows are also much more suitable to the architectural style of our home than any new windows would have been. We would have no hesitation in recommending Denys Builds Designs.

I am always amazed that with a little intelligent effort and energy that we are able make a troublesome window or door function as easily as the day it was installed.

Chris Lawson from Ottawa
Chris Lawson from Ottawa

Living room renovation

Paul is diligent, efficient, articulate, neat, and totally reliable. He's a great designer as well as an incredibly skilled builder. You couldn't ask for a better contractor. He's a great communicator as well.

It's impossible to remove all the risk and stress from getting work done on your home, but Paul Denys is as close as we've ever come to having that happen.

Beautiful work every time with no surprises.

I can't say enough good things about him.

When I renovate, I have my client’s best interests at heart. I am always thinking, if this renovation was to happen on my home, what would make the experience better. I believe, if the renovation experience is easier and more transparent, even first-time renovation clients will feel more satisfied with what was accomplished. I have worked with Chris on multiple projects with great results.

Brenda Primmer from Ottawa
Brenda Primmer from Ottawa

Rebuild of Front Porch on Century-Old Home

My neighbor and I hired Paul to undertake major repairs/rebuild of the front porch of our semidetached house. The original porch was still standing after 100 years with minimal maintenance so it was need of some serious work. Paul was the only contractor who was willing to undertake the job in stages over two calendar years - every other contractor insisted the only way to do this job was to demolish everything at once. Paul and his assistant Sandy worked efficiently & swiftly without compromising their craftsmanship. Their attention to detail was superb. I have received many comments from both friends and strangers about our new front porch, particularly the steps on both sides. I like to tell people who stop to admire the work that I'm seriously considering moving my furniture to the porch as it's now the nicest "room" of my house. Finally, Paul is to be commended for his after-sale service. Unbeknownst to myself or my neighbor he has been monitoring the condition of our porch roof as it awaits its final repair next spring and has been doing his best with temporary repairs to keep the squirrels out. The man is a gem and I am looking forward to working with him again.

L. Stewart from Ottawa
L. Stewart from Ottawa

Redoing of Ceiling

Paul Denys did an excellent job of redoing a ceiling at my home. It looks great and is harmonious with the style of the rest of the house. The work was carefully and tidily done and carried out on schedule.
Paul provided excellent advice and works in a collaborative way to achieve the desired result.

Dani in Lowertown
Dani in Lowertown
1 review ,

Bathroom Renovation

I had the good fortune to hire Paul Denys of Denys Builds Designs to renovate my bathroom. Paul's knowledge, expertise and attention to detail ensured that the end result is as functional as it is beautiful.

I would strongly recommend Denys Builds Designs to anyone looking to collaborate with an honest and knowledgeable renovator whose is committed to achieving a high quality end product.

lgm
lgm

Various restoration projects

Found Paul after a lot of research and asking questions - and what a find. He has done various projects for me from small to large and never hestitates to bring a knowledge and professionalism to the job. I have recommended him on more than one occasion and would not hesitate to do so again. Am looking forward to the new project we are starting shortly

Catherine in Ottawa
Catherine in Ottawa

Repairs

Paul has done a number of projects over the years. Big or small, the work is done well, on time and in a professional manner. His most recent work here involved repairs; he has also done large renovation projects. Paul and his assistants take care to minimize disruption to the home. I would definitely ask Paul to do future projects and would highly recommend him to anyone looking for quality work.

Jennifer in Barrhaven
Jennifer in Barrhaven
1 review Nepean, ON

Basement Renovation

It was a pleasure having Paul and Robert here to my home for my recent home renovations. They were very friendly, professional, and the job they did was superb. I am going to refer Paul to many friends and would hire him again. I was thrilled with the outcome of the job they did!

More about Denys Builds Designs

I have a passion for renovations of all sizes and love sharing my experience. I enjoy fixing door knobs to completing home renovation make over.