University First Class Painters

Paint & Wallpaper Contractors
3667 Strawberry Hill Street, Unit 101 Halifax NS B3K 5A8
HomeStars  >  Paint & Wallpaper Contractors in Toronto  >  University First Class Painters

Reviews for University First Class Painters

Private User reviews Edmonton, AB

Exterior window painting

Had University First Class Painters to do my upper exterior windows in July. painters arrived at 8:00 am and started work. shortly after they came to me as something appeared to be wrong with my paint. Turns out they never checked to see if it was mixed and it wasn't. then 2 guys spent 2 hours taking cans to paint store to be mixed. returned and by noon the job was done?. Turns out they waited 5 minutes between first coat and second coat. didn't read paint can specs which call for 24 hour dry time. was told they cant follow paint can specs because they will not make any money. Far from what I expected from "professionals. will wait to see if paint peels.

KatyaW in Victoria
KatyaW in Victoria
1 review Victoria, BC

Deck and trellis staining, backyard

Rob was very professional when he came to give an estimate on the job. He seemed knowledgeable about the materials, gave lots of detail in the estimate, and didn’t pressure me to make a decision.
He responded promptly to email requests for information. His painters showed up when he said they would and did a good job of protecting property that was not to be stained. I requested a final walk through at the end of the job as a few spots had been missed. His Production Manager showed up promptly and took care of some minor finishing touches on the spot.
Professional, and good customer service.

Irena in Langley Township
Irena in Langley Township
1 review Langley Township, BC

Exterior painting

Estimate was done within an hour
Pice was reasonable
The workers were showing up at 8 am and worked 8 hours
Very accurate
All the problems that I pointed to Matt were fixed right away
Matt was very helpful with choosing colours and fixing some bad spots
Thank you Matt and your guys for fast and accurate job
I will definitely use you in the future and will recommend you and your company to my friends and neighbors
Irena Odintsova

Bianca96 in Delta
Bianca96 in Delta
1 review Delta, BC

Messy and Incomplete

Around the beginning of September 2017 I solicited quotes from 5 painting companies. I realized it was late in the season, but my life changed and it seemed important to protect the house. Two other companies refused to quote because they felt the weather would not hold out and would want to wait until next spring.

I chose University Painters because they seemed to have a professionally prepared quote. They said they would have no problem working around the weather. Their price was the middle of the five. From what I got out of the quote was that they were going to wash, scrape, prime and paint. They did wash and they did scrape. But they did no priming.

The exterior of the house is about 85% cedar shingles. The house was painted about nine years ago, so the existing paint was chipping and flaking off. UFCP scraped off the loose paint leaving two finishes on each shingle – part smooth and shiny from the old paint and part rough, bare shingle, deteriorating from age. They applied Dulux Wood Pride 100% Acrylic Siding Stain. One coat was applied. The rain came shortly after they did the east side of the house and washed a large amount down on my finished concrete patio, which never got cleaned up properly. They had to do that side again. They never really did a full second coat anywhere else on the house – patch work at best. Upon closer inspection, when I went up a ladder, ( the house is a split level rancher, so nearly 2 stories), I found missed spots and old paint still flaking off on its own , leaving bare shingle as it originally appeared before the painters arrived. Now the shingles are Storm Gray (mainly), but still part smooth over the old paint and rough shingle. The bare part of the shingle did not get covered. It is just about as degraded as it originally was.

I asked Adam about priming and was told that with what he was using, the house did not need it. I went to Dulux in Tsawwassen and spoke to the manager and showed her pictures of the shingles. She suggested that the house should have had the bare spots on the shingles spot primed, and then use Dulux Diamond Exterior paint. This would have helped to even out the discrepancy in the look of each shingle, giving a smother look and filling out the bare shingle properly. The shingles still don’t look like they will hold together over a severe winter. They don’t look much different than they did before UFCP came, except blue and scraped. The Dulux Diamond Exterior paint, although a little more expensive, goes farther and works better in colder, wetter weather.

The door and window frames were done with “Approaching Storm” 1650 Deluxe Diamond E paint. A very messy job was done around the door frames. There were no clean edges, just slopped unevenly around the corners. This paint was also used on the 2 x 10 railing along the patio into the house. The dark brown acrylic paint that was originally on it was not primed. About a week later, I lifted grocery bags from the car up onto the railing, and then took them from there into the house. Later that day, I noticed that the blue was rolling off. That’s where I had put the bags. Grocery bags shouldn’t have done that. It really pulls off. Adam said it need more time to cure/dry. It had been a week. It is still rolling off if anything is moved along it.

Part of the house has vertical 1x5 tongue in groove. A section was dry rotted and I had it replaced. The boards were put in place with a pneumatic nail gun which left visible holes. Adam painted the wood as part of the contract with one coat of the Wood Pride 100% Acrylic Siding Stain (Egret). This was bare new wood, but it was not primed. All of the nail gun holes are still visible and spaces in between got no paint.

With the exception of painting the new vertical wood, Adam did no painting. He delivered the paint and the painter. At the end he walked me around for me to point out problem areas. No more clean-up was done. A few spots I could see immediately were taken care of. But I am 70 and don’t move quickly and shouldn’t be going up a ladder to find spots.

I don’t pretend to know much about painting, but I don’t like the look of the results and not sure the shingles are any better protected after painting. I didn't get what I thought I was paying for.

I cannot recommend University Painters at all. This at best was mediocre.

Dear Bianca - UFCP aims to provide a positive and professional experience with ALL of our customers. We would be happy to inspect your job and correct any deficiencies.

Private User reviews New Glasgow, NS

Job Well Done

Bailey Ferguson of Truro, and his team of five students, are dedicated and adept. The scraping was thorough, and the painting was done carefully. He paid great attention to detail, and was punctual, courteous, knowledgeable, and trustworthy. In every respect his management of the project was "first class".

We are so glad you are happy with Bailey and his teams job on your painting needs. We will make sure to pass along the wonderful review. Please keep us in mind for any future projects and have a great summer!!

Private User reviews Calgary, AB

Exterior painting - partial house

The team was prompt and courteous. Good effort and results. They listened to our concerns with certain areas (trim) and did the job right. Would recommend them and use them again.

Glad you were pleased with the work and the team. Please keep us in mind for future projects. Have a great summer!

Kevin p in Sherwood Park
Kevin p in Sherwood Park
1 review Sherwood Park, AB

Whole house 3 floors

The boys did a solid professional job. Showed on time, worked a full day. Had job done in required time. ALSO very curtious and careful with moving and taking things down.

Thanks for the great review Kevin!

Private User reviews Calgary, AB

Deck painting

Worst painting service ever do not do it avoid avoid avoid. Untrained. Unmanaged. Totally garbage company avoid at all cost never have I seen a company so bad please avoid at all costs

We have taken customer satisfaction very seriously for our 30 plus years in business and we would like to remedy this situation. We have contacted all of our local Calgary representatives and none of them are aware of a deck job that was problematic. We unfortunately have no means of identifying you or the problem that occurred. If you can please provide us with further information we will make every effort to address and resolve the issue.

Waginwheel in Langley
Waginwheel in Langley
1 review Langley, BC

Painting inside carriage house

Ryan exceeded my expectations for this job. The painting was so clean and detailed, and Ryan’s execution of everything we talked about for the project was perfect. Ryan arrived when he said he would - every time, he left the job clean after every painting coat,. I recommend and will call Ryan again.
Chris

Looking forward to doing more work for you!

More about University First Class Painters

Since 1982 our university and college student painters have been painting thousands of homes and businesses for satisfied clients across Canada. Painting the entire exteriors of homes and businesses, as well as smaller projects such as stucco, decks, steps, fences, window trim, trim boards and much more. We also paint ...
Looking for Paint & Wallpaper Contractors pros in Toronto?