Danny MacDonald Contracting

Hm smith in Newmarket
Hm smith in Newmarket
1 review Newmarket, ON

Bathroom/Kitchen renovation

We contacted Danny after we received a referral from a friend to see his skills and craftsmanship and they we exactly as my friend said.
His attention to detail was exceptional and he took many minutes out of his day to explain all of the needed steps that we will take. When we ran into a issue with the framing his was able to find us a quick and cost effective repair.
We were concerned about permits and wsib, he took all steps to make sure we were covered. We also received the copies to submit to our insurance.
I would highly recommend him to do any renovation that you may have.

Aurora home in Markham
Aurora home in Markham
1 review Aurora, ON

Kitchen Renovation

We contacted Danny after our friends had there kitchen done by him and they were very pleased from the first meeting to currently he stays in touch with them to follow up and we are having the same experience. There team pulled all of the needed permits so we could remove load bearing walls, and everything went without a hitch. Our needs were exceeded and furthermore he saved us a few dollars by helping us with the applainces and extending a discount. I would highly recommend him to anyone that is in the market for a great job, honest and very clean crew. Chris D

Julie Myles from Whitby
Julie Myles from Whitby
2 reviews Whitby, ON

Repair and paint kitchen ceiling.

Danny sent a worker to paint our kitchen ceiling who obviously had never done a job like this before. He did not remove or cover our light fixture, which left paint all over it. When wet I was unable to tell the quality of coverage and was assured when dry it would be uniform' which was not the case, it is very blotchy. On close observation after I discovered what a mess the job was, I found specks of oil based paint all over my wood furniture, coffee maker, glass canisters etc. I informed Dan and he told me that we would work something out. He would have it done to my satisfaction or refund my money. He also said he doubted the damage to the light was done by his worker, but if it was, he would replace it. Weeks went by and he never came by to see the mess. Numerous emails sent back and forth. Months went by and I never heard from him or got any response to my attempts to contact him. Finally I recieved an email stating his wife had died and he iwas sorry for the lack of response. I went on Facebook because I didn't really believe his story and it appears he went on a holiday with his wife after he told me she had passed away. If he was telling the truth, he still has a company to run. I put no time constraints on him to finish the project, I just wanted it fixed or my money back. It has been months since his last response. I guess I am out $400 and the cost of replacing my light. To this day, Danny has still not seen in person the project, but I did send him these pictures which speak for themselves. DO NOt USE OR TRUST DMC Contacting or Danny MacDonald!!

South Aurora
South Aurora
1 review Aurora, ON

Full Basement Apartment

The project was delayed many times both at the beginning and during the construction with poor communication, we had to chase him for answers, sometimes not hearing anything for weeks. Some of the work that was completed was done well and his workers were very kind. He's a great painter, had some great ideas and started off the project with great workmanship. However, products that were discussed during the quote were downgraded when installed including the heated floors and fixtures. Some products were defective like a pocket door which was promised to be replaced but never was. We had the same problem with the tile job as listed in another review. There were lots of extra costs he added during the project that we had to pay even before the other work was done or even started. There were big expenses included in our quote that were not done. The kitchen was sub-contracted to another company and they never received payment from Danny ^last name removed -- Ed, (which we paid Danny but he never paid them.) The kitchen company came back to us looking for the money so we ended up PAYING TWICE for the kitchen which is not a cheep expense. Danny ended up disappearing near the end of the job leaving a widow in an unfinished project and out lots of money. So would we recommend him...not a chance, unless you want to pay big bucks for a job that may not get done.

Danny, its been over 3 years, we've driven by your expensive truck many time biting our tongues. If you ever want to clear your debt and complete your promises we welcome you with open arms.

Faddled in Newmarket
Faddled in Newmarket
4 reviews Newmarket, ON

Kitchen and Bathroom renovations

While we ended up "mostly" satisfied with the results, we ended up paying way beyond the relative value for what we got, in comparison to other work done and estimates received. Workers were nice people but I have had much better quality and have paid a lot less for similar renovations in past homes. Kitchen floor (20" porcelain tiles) was not laid straight and we have to live with the results. 20" is hard to work with, and we had contractor remove 4 of the worst tiles and relay, but there are still many uneven areas. Also, be careful of "additional work" that is tacked on. I came home one day to discover I was being charged for electrical work that had not been agreed upon. Whether there was a problem with wiring or not, I needed the choice of who to work with on my electrical issues. I already had an electrician doing work at lower cost than what I was charged. I didn't argue the point because there were other things I needed arguing energy for. I should have argued that point and a few others. However, when in renovation land, one often feels a hostage in their own home.

Toffee in Markham
Toffee in Markham
3 reviews Thornhill, ON

Bathroom renovation

Start date was delayed significantly. Project was estimated at 6 weeks and took over 12. Cost was %15 over.
Deposit was too large and payment schedule was unrealistic, it was totally biased towards the contractor. Communications were extremely difficult (sometimes no answers for over a week) and often times nasty notes were sent.
Depsite the fact that the contract indicated that all "extra" work would be agreed to up front that never happened. On more than one occassion extra costs appeared and I was charged for things that weren't explained or agreed to. This included charging me for things that were IN the contract and included. I had to agree to the new numbers or the job would be delayed.
What was quite appalling was the manner in which materials were purchased. They seemed to buy just what was needed for that day. This caused a problem half-way through the job, but the contractor was lucky enough to be able to find supplies he needed.
To summarize, my job was completed and the bathroom looks nice but the business practices employed by this company simply negate any good they could have done. A simple project shouldn't have been this stressful. I'll be trying another renovator next time around.