Kingston ON

Reviews for Mike Schur Home Inspection Ltd

AJ in Toronto
AJ in Toronto

Pre Purchase Home Inspection, Kingston

Excellent home inspector, extremely thorough, almost over-thorough (that's a good thing)!
Mike explained everything extremely clearly, used some smart techniques to test plumbing, made suggestions as to my next steps before buying, and other suggestions as to what to do if and when I take over the property.
He also made himself available later in the day and the following day by phone to answer further questions. Great service, good guy, knows his stuff.

Private User reviews Kingston, ON

Home Inspection Fail

Mike completed our home inspection. 2 weeks after moving in, during the first rainfall, there was obvious water dripping into the basement. Turned out to be caused by an improperly installed deck. The insulation along that wall was completely soaked through and had to be replaced. Two separate professionals I had in to assess the problem identified the cause immediately, and said it was obvious to them. After looking more closely, I found three other leaks through another basement wall. Two were caused by foundation cracks that on the outside extended above ground. Mike had pointed them out during the inspection and stated that they were not significant, and would not cause leaks. The waterproofing specialist was speechless when I told him this, but said that there are many not so great inspectors out there. The other leak on that wall was caused by faulty caulking, something Mike had missed. We later found other, less significant deficiencies that were missed, but you get the idea. When he was contacted about these issues, Mike just kept repeating that an inspection is not a guarantee against current or future defects, and refused to consider refunding his fee. When he was offered the opportunity to come and see the issues for himself so that he could at least learn from what he missed to benefit his future clients, he refused. Incompetent and unprofessional. The issues eventually got (almost completely) resolved at no out of pocket cost to us, as everything was still under warranty, but it took a lot of time and aggravation to get it all sorted out, with no help from Mike. I assume our property value also took an immediate hit. Our real estate agent hooked us up with Mike. I didn't want to use someone recommended by the agent, but I agreed against my better judgement because my wife just wanted to get it done with. We won't make that mistake again. If your agent recommends an inspector, just decline politely. Do your research ahead of time so that you know who to call right away when you're ready to put in an offer on a home.

Private User reviews Kingston, ON

Home Inspection

Excellent home inspection. Took the time to look through every detail of the home we were purchasing, and found a number of issues. Broke them down into issues that need fixing now, or can wait, or don't need fixing but he has to point out for safety reasons. Very clear, concise, and excellent communicator. Saved us from a lot of stress is purchasing a home that showed beautiful, but had some major electrical, plumbing, and roof issues. Used him again when we found another home and would recommend to anyone needing an inspection.

Patt Tuckett from Kingston
Patt Tuckett from Kingston
1 review Perth Road, ON

pre-purchase home inspection

613-539-8425
Kingston

very superficial inspection, particularly with respect to heating system, water system, fireplace. Several expensive and unpleasant 'surprises' discovered afterwards. Perhaps I should have asked more questions. However, I would've thought it was a home inspector's job (for example) to know or advise about checking for class action suits on heating / electrical/ water systems rather than finding out myself later by google. Were my expectations were too high?

Jon Vincent in Seeleys bay
Jon Vincent in Seeleys bay
1 review Kemptville, ON

Did a home pre purchase inspection on my home.

They found the following:
1 - The 2 piece bath is not vented anywhere and when the toilet is
flushed you can smell it in the basement
2 - The back wall is rotted in the 2 piece bath
3 - Where the oil tank is located it needs a retaining wall
4 - There are rotten floor joists in the basement
5 - When you want to adjust the temperature of the shower you have
to go to the tub to do it
6 - No venting in the roof
7 - Even though there is a sticker on the furnace that says Haven
2006, the furnace is 14 years old

Here are the facts:
1 - The two piece bath is vented in the back of the closet in the bath.
Smell is from the lift chamber.
2 - The wall is not rotten it is an old exterior door. beside washer that
was going to be used for dryer vent then finished.
3 - Retaining wall? Has been that way for 5 years no problems. Has nice pea
gravel to look like English garden. (personal want)
4 - Rotten floor joist have been doubled up and repaired. Was done before I
bought.
5 - Set the temperature before you get into the shower.
6 - The roof has a hidden ridge vent. To vent a roof.
7 - The sticker is on duct work from when I Changed it around so you could
walk by the furnace. I also changed the main heating duct. Furnace is
getting TSSA certified and works.