Blue Grass Nursery & Garden Centre

Reviews for Blue Grass Nursery & Garden Centre

R in High River
R in High River

Loam

There seems to be a problem with consistency. Last fall I ordered 2 cu yards of loam from Blue Grass. The delivery and product were both very good. Unfortunately my estimating was not and so I ordered another 2 cu yards of loam in May. The delivery was fine, however this time the product contained a very high percentage of clay and pebbles -- not at all what I would have considered "loam" to be. Lacking the time and budget to have it hauled away and replaced, it has now been spread, something I will probably regret for a long time.

Justin MacCallum in Calgary
Justin MacCallum in Calgary

New Trees

I purchased two trees for approximately $1400 in June of 2016. One of the two trees died a little over six weeks later. I contacted Blue Grass regarding my concerns (via email) in August 2016 and I was told that the tree was fine and that it will come back in full the following spring. The tree did not come back from the dead so I had to go through the process of selecting another tree. What the sales people failed to mention when I originally purchased the trees, was that if the tree dies, you must repay for the services (delivery, planting, etc.) for the new tree. If they stand by their product they should not make a customer repay for the services that clearly failed the first time. I reluctantly paid, being assured that "they would make it right", and plant the new tree. I arranged to have the tree delivered in the late afternoon on May 26. I called back on May 22 to confirm that I did not need to do anything additional; again, I was assured that they would take care of everything and the tree would be planted and that the delivery would take place in the later part of the afternoon.
May 26- They delivered the tree at 8:30am (not really late afternoon last time I checked), and removed the old tree. Instead of planting the new tree, they put it in the old hole that was nowhere near prepped for the new tree. I phoned Blue Grass and spoke with Avi in dispatch. He said the drivers made an error and that they would go back and fix it by planting the new tree. I received a phone call a few hours later from Scott who reluctantly agreed that the driver should not have put the new tree in a hole that wasn’t adequately prepped and that they would come and remove it (but absolutely would not plant it). Scott could care less that I was assured on three separate occasions, from three separate employees, that the new tree would be planted. He told me I did not pay for the planting even though the guy who sold it to me said that it was the full service they offer. THESE GUYS ARE TERRIBLE!! They clearly do not stand by their word, nor their product. I will use their competitors in the future and not Blue Grass. When I asked to speak with the owner, Scott said “good luck getting a hold of him”. Wow…great customer service from top to bottom.

Frost Hanlen from Calgary
Frost Hanlen from Calgary

Landscaping

In 2014, I extensively landscaped my backyard. I Bought everything I could at Blue Grass, I was there many, many times Spending over $3000, which included $1400+ on shrubs, and a tree. This spring (2015) I was happy to see all but three shrubs return. Everything was leafed out (even the hostas, and ferns were up), except for three shrubs. They were in three different beds, planted beside several more of the same shrub. They weren't even showing signs of budding. I decided to replace them. I took them, along with my paperwork to Blue Grass. The guy at the service desk didn't respond to me other then walk over to the shrubs inspect them, and say
"I won't warranty them". I'm standing there with my son, and other customers, and he says
"you shouldn't have dug them up, what a shame"
I would have left the shrubs sitting there, but he insisted that "they're very resilient, they're not dead, just late". I carefully replanted the shrubs, but they never did show any signs of life, and have since been replaced.
In my mind, even if I was gardening neophyte, and was mistaken in thinking they were not going grow, and premature in digging them up. I should be given some sort of consideration. Instead of consideration, I got a shaming!
I'm now about to begin landscaping another portion of my yard, and estimate $2000+ for plants, and another $800+ for soil, and mulch (this year). ALL of which will be bought at somewhere other then Blue Grass. For $90 or less (retail) on a $1400 order...what a shame.

Charlyn Stang from Airdrie
Charlyn Stang from Airdrie
2 reviews Airdrie, AB

hanging plants

went in early June for hanging baskets for our house; was approached quickly by a salesperson offering to help me. I explained that I was not a "green thumb" and the salesperson helped me choose plants that lasted and looked good all summer.

That is wonderful and we are so happy to have helped you! I hope your hanging baskets also survived the hail. Hopefully we will see you again in the spring! From the Blue Grass Team

Tina from Calgary
Tina from Calgary

Sod

We purchased sod for our new home from Blue Grass. Great service from ordering to delievery. We ordered over the phone, they emailed us a receipt and it arrived on time. The grass looks great!!!

That is fantastic Tina, we are so glad we could help you with making your yard look amazing!

Vic Delamont from Calgary
Vic Delamont from Calgary

large tree

Our 10M evergreen had been wind damaged and was dying. We needed a large tree to replace it. We purchased a large tree at a half-price clearance at Blue Grass. Before we could get it delivered, an arborist siad that he could save our own tree. I called Blue grass, canceled the order and promptly received a full refund - politely and with no reservations!

Michelle from Calgary
Michelle from Calgary

tree planting

The selection of plants was great and the customer service was awesome. They were able to help me get pick the right tree for the type of backyard that we have.

DP  from Airdrie
DP from Airdrie
6 reviews Airdrie, AB

landscaping

The selection and quality of trees, shrubs and flowers is really great! They have some really knowledgable staff that have directed us in the right direction many times. Lots of neat garden stuff and giftware

Thanks for the review! Glad to hear you like our extensive selection and we hope we can help you again in the future with any other projects you may have. Thanks from the entire team at Blue Grass!

Tamara from Calgary
Tamara from Calgary

Sod

When we laid sod in our backyard, we ordered from Bluegrass. They definitley have the best color and most beautiful grass that we've ever used. Our yard looks great!! :)

Thank you for choosing Blue Grass for your sod, we always strive to have the best sod and hope your yard continues to be amazing. Keep us in mind for you next project and please tell all your neighbours. Thanks for the great review, from the Blue Grass Team!

Jordan Bosch in Calgary
Jordan Bosch in Calgary

Sod Laying

Purchased Sod through Blue Grass - Very easy to order / arrange delivery. They dropped off the sod exactly when I asked, and the grass quality is excellent. Just make sure to order during there spring sale and you save some money.

Looking for Garden Centres pros in Calgary?