Heritage Hardwood Flooring

Review for Heritage Hardwood Flooring

Pat from Victoria
Pat from Victoria
6 reviews Victoria, BC

Hardwood Floor squeaks and moves, no warranty

Joe McLean (owner of Heritage Hardwood Flooring) laid a Peruvian Acacia Hardwood floor in my house. Within 5 weeks the floor started to squeak and move beneath your feet. This progressively became worse the more floor was walked on. As well, some of the boards had to replaced because they were cracking on the edges. He called Europlex International (where Joe had purchased the hardwood) and it took them a couple of months to get Ken, their representative, out to assess the situation. Joe had agreed with me that the wood should not be behaving like this and that there was something wrong with it. Ken came and told Joe and I that my house was too dry (in Victoria in the Spring-Summer). Joe had his own hygrometer which showed my house to be between 30-42% humidity at the time. I have since purchased a thermometer/hygrometer at Lee Valley which shows my house to be between 50-60% humidity (too high). Ken told Joe that once the humidity was higher , the floor should not do this anymore, unless I had already damaged the floor (which had only been down for about 6 months). Joe finished laying the rest of the hardwood floor in my house. Within 4-6 weeks, the new part of the floor started to do the same thing. I withheld the last money owed from Joe and told him that when he gets me a new floor from Europlex, I will pay him the balance. I told him that since he (Joe) sold me the floor, it was ultimately his responsibility to stand behind the product that he sold me (and made a profit on) and the floor laying work. I have never heard back from him. My floor is now 2 years old and is worse, not better. It squeaks everywhere that you normally walk and moves beneath your feet. It is also lifting on the edges and splitting. Apparently, that is a fault with Acacia Hardwood. The product that he sold me is terrible and he never fixed the situation.