We received three (3) quotes for a complete main bathroom renovation for an older semi-detached home in the High Park area, that would strip things back to the studs. Since we had shopped at Pollock’s Home Hardware in the past and found both the sales staff (especially Vince!) and service to be excellent, we decided to go with their quote which was the middle range of the bidding process.
The ‘Project Manager’ was very eager to get started on the project, and quickly arranged to have the renovation ‘team’ come for measurements and inspection of the room to be renovated. We attended their store to special-order any and all items needed in the renovation and had them on hand for when the workers were to start. This team turned out to be ‘a’ sub-contractor that came and went when he pleased; removed renovation items from the home that we both paid for and were supposed to have been used in the project. This included: sound insulation for an interior wall; and several ‘rubber pipe caps’ to block off old pipes that would later be hidden behind drywall.
We understood that some of the ‘exterior work’ and final touches would be completed once the warmer weather would arrive, but found out that the ‘Project Manager MIA’ had signed-off on the project (without inspecting it) and paid in full the sub-contractor. This despite him and the owner being alerted to problems regarding the exposed pipes and missing insulation, both of which were witnessed when we removed a small section of drywall prior to the tiles being installed.
Of concern regarding the intent to drywall and then tile over exposed pipes in the wall, it is a health concern.
Throughout this process I had to stay away from most of the exposed work due to an auto immune related illness. I was able to smell a ‘gas-like’ substance once the drywall had been completed and I asked the contractor if the pipes had been capped off. I was told that ‘yes’, they were all capped off. Only after a small section of drywall had been removed to show the exposed pipes (and lack of insulation) that it was corrected. I am left to wonder what else had not be correctly done throughout this process…