Floorscapes Inc

Reviews for Floorscapes Inc

Ronda R in Calgary
Ronda R in Calgary

Basement floor repair

This review is not about the quality of work but specifically about the unprofessional behaviour of the production manager Evan who is also related to the owner. Please note all other employees and sub trades I dealt with were fantastic.

In the spring of 2020, we were in the middle of a major renovation when our basement flooded from from the spring thaw. Although I acted as the general contractor for the renovation, when it came time to repair the basement, I opted to have the insurance contractor manage the repairs in July as I was fatigued.

Only about a quarter of the basement was affected by the flood and the flooring repair was completed by Floorscapes. Given the new subfloor products are now thinner than the older products we were told that they may need to tear out the entire basement floor and replace it or there was an option to add cork or a thin plywood to level the new floor to the old.

Unfortunately the original owners built the basement walls and media unit on top of the subfloor so to demo and replace the entire subfloor and repair the baseboards, walls etc. would be extensive and time consuming. Given we had just lived through a six-month renovation with multiple trades in and out, during Covid, we chose the less intrusive and time-consuming option.

When it came time to install the new product, the installers decided to glue the new product to the old and sand down the edges where the two products were connected vs adding any additional product to level it. Unfortunately, when it was finished it was obvious that the new section of subfloor was now floating above the concrete as it bounced and thudded with almost every step.

Greg from Floorscapes suggested they could try to add something under the subfloor to minimize the bounce and suggested the repair would take about a day. He told me he would have the office call me to schedule a repair date.

Seven days passed and I had not received a call so I reached out to Gary and he told me he would remind the office to call me. Five more days passed, and I still had not received a call, so I emailed Gary again and had the insurance contractor reach out to his contacts with Floorscapes as well.

At 4:30 the next day Evan called me and told me the installer would be by on the following Thursday, but the carpet could not be pulled back into place until the afternoon or on the following day Friday September 11, which I agreed to.

When the installer arrived, he told me he would be drilling holes into the new subfloor and injecting an expanding foam under it. When he left, I noticed that he had only worked on the edge of the new sub floor. I immediately called Evan who relayed that the installer had just worked on the edge of the new floor as that is what Gary had told him to do.

Believing this was a just a miscommunication between Gary and the installer I tried to explain that as the new floor was attached to the old subfloor at the perimeter the entire new subfloor was floating above the concrete especially the centre, so it did not make sense to only fix one edge.

However, Evan immediately became, defensive and dismissive and began talking over me (I had to ask him to let me finish several times). He said he had seen all of the before and after photos so I didn’t need to explain, they were the ones with the experience, and they did what they believed would fix the problem. He went on to tell me that they were doing me a favour because I didn’t want all the floors pulled up.

When I told him that I could guaranteed that what they had done would not fix the problem, he suggested that if I was correct, they could just come back to add more foam on another day (delaying the job as it takes 12 hours for the foam to set up) and if that didn’t work, they would pull up the entire floor.

At that point I requested that the installer come back that day to work on the entire area just to be certain and to keep the job on schedule. He begrudgingly agreed.

The installer returned several hours later to drill and fill the entire area which took about 15 minutes. When he left, he asked me to check the area in the morning and if there were any low spots, to let Evan know and he would come back. If it was just a few spots they would not need to set up as long and the carpet could still be pulled into place the same day.

When I checked in the morning there was a spot that still bounced and made noise, so I sent an email to Evan. His responses were again unprofessional. For example, when I asked him if he could tell me when the carpet puller was scheduled to come in, as I needed to plan my day, his response via email/verbatim was “We do not have any time for you at this point. When we hear back from the people, we need then we can plan the times and be in touch with you.”

Was this just a grammar issue or was he really trying to tell me he had no time for me … I believe it was the latter.

I informed the insurance contractor who said he would send a note to the company. To date I have not been contacted by anyone from Floorscapes.

Basement flooring

The process of meeting Neil at our home for a quote to the installers and final product this was the BEST experience we had to date with any contractor. The options presented to us matched our home and style and the care given throughout the process was amazing. We finished our basement with carpet and tile floor/shower walls in the bathroom. I cannot say enough great things about our experience and will use them again in the future!! Thank you for providing us our new floors!!

Wow. So nice to have great customers to work with. Thanks guys.

Dean & Candy in Calgary
Dean & Candy in Calgary

Hardwood flooring on stairs

I contacted Floorscapes inc. for some advice on a job I had installed myself. There was no quote involved and I was not looking to hire a company at the time, even though Bryce responded to my call for advice promptly and offered his valuable time. All this even happened on a Saturday when other companies simply did not respond at all. I had a series of questions and Bryce helped me out and was very courteous. I will definitely keep this company in mind if I need flooring services in the future.
Thanks again for your valuable time and advice.

Thank you for your kind words Dean.

Awesome Service + Amazing Results

We were feeling very lost in the overwhelming possibilities of flooring and we needed direction and a professional opinion. The team at Floorscapes were phenomenal in assisting us with the right selection for both hardwood and carpet. They really took the time and attention to understand our vision, our style and made amazing recommendations. They weren't out to just make a sale and we felt so comfortable. Installation was a cinch and everything turned out perfectly. Love, love, love our floors!!

The world of flooring can be overwhelming. There are so many options! We are glad to hear that we made the process more manageable. The nice thing about all the options, is that with the right help, anyone can find a floor covering that suits them well. And I must say, that a customer's personal taste and style is very important to us. As design enthusiasts ourselves, we know the satisfaction of shaping your own personal space. So it goes without saying that we are glad to hear that we helped you achieve your vision.

hardwood floor refinishing

Our refinished hardwood floor looks fantastic and like new again! Very happy with the work done and the staff that we dealt with. I would recommend them to our friends.

Nothing like bringing a great floor back to its original glory! One of the many great qualities of hardwood flooring, is its lasting power. In general, 3/4" hardwood floors can be sanded and refinished at least 5 times! And to think, there are so many great hardwood floors hiding under carpet renovations done in the 70's, waiting to be restored. Thank you kindly for the review!

Elle220 from Calgary
Elle220 from Calgary

Kitchen floor installation

We live in an old house and our previous floors had been loose layed over the exsting fir tongue and groove floor. We had bought flooring for our kitchen thinking that we could do that again and found out later that it needed to be glued down. My husband had prepped and sanded the floor so it was as even as possible to minimize telescoping. We contacted Floorscapes to see if we needed to replace the underlay or choose another product. They came out to our house to look at out existing flooring. They gave us the options and the warranty issues for each option. They provided written quotes the two options we chose. In the end we decided to glue down our flooring to our existing floor. Installation was scheduled very quickly and the installer was great.
What I really appreciated about this company is their honesty. They could have told us our existing floor was not suitable and sold us a new subfloor. There was no pressure and they gave us their honest and professional opinion. This was a very small job for them and they treated just like they would a larger job. I would not hesitate to recommend this company.

Thank you for the kind review! We are glad to hear that you valued our honesty. Honesty and reliability are very very important to us; unfortunately, they are rare qualities in the construction industry. Whether the job is large or small, what matters is that we contribute to a home that is well-loved. Therefore we treat all jobs with care and respect. Thank you again!

Graham from Calgary
Graham from Calgary
1 review Brooks, AB

Laminate Flooring

The installation took place after a basement leak. This was a subcontractor's choice for the task. The initial impression was good. The fitment seamed good, plus installed quickly. However, with the increase in ambient humidity, it was discovered that owing to the large span, the expansion gaps along the walls were incorrect. Floorscapes Calgary, refused to acknowledge their mistake, and were extremely rude when having to show up and see it for themselves. To date, we have had three independent flooring experts visit and corroborate my claim of improper installation methods. The floor is buckled so bad that it's damaging the drywall and wood structure. I recommend strongly not using them. They are nice and professional until something will cost them money, ie. warranty work. Be very cautious. Also, customer service and the ability to show respect and courtesy rate very low.

Floorscapes was contracted to remove and dispose of the water-damaged laminate flooring from the basement on this project as well as and the supply and installation of new laminate flooring. All precautions were taken to ensure the concrete was dry and ready for the new installation including the installation of a vapour barrier. Shortly after that installation was completed, we received and responded to a complaint about the floor buckling. When we pulled a section of the flooring up to inspect, we found water and mould under the floor indicating that another leak had occurred and suggested the owners call their insurance company to report another loss. When our suggestion was rejected, an inspection conducted by the Alberta Floor Covering Association found that indeed the issue surrounding the flooring coming out of shape was water infiltration and not as a result of faulty installation. Our own quality assurance field personnel are always mindful to respect the views of our clients even if we are not in agreement.

Scott
Scott
5 reviews CALGARY, AB

Hardwood floor

Our old vinyl/carpet needed replaced. We had been to several flooring stores and found Floorscapes to have the best quality and value. Floorscapes large show room gave us the best selection, and the personal service provided by the entire team helped us find exactly what we needed. The installation was finished on schedule. Wide plank hardwood looks amazing.

Glad to hear you're happy with the results. We love wide plank hardwood too- it's especially rustic and natural looking. It is very important to us to help the customer find the product that suits their needs. We put a lot of effort into informing and exposing the customer to fitting options and ideas. Thank you kindly for the review!

R S calgary
R S calgary

Hired this contractor for installing laminated floor and tile flooring

Did excellent job on installing laminated floor in hall and tile flooring in kitchen. Fast service and excellent rapport. Price was reasonable!! installation material was of excellent quality.
Recommend this to everyone!!

Thank you for the review! Happy to hear that you are pleased with the results. Quality and timeliness are very important to us, and we are glad to hear you agree that we succeed in those respects. Best of luck in the future.

Curtis in Calgary
Curtis in Calgary
1 review CALGARY, AB

Replaced hardwood floor after leak

They were recommended by the insurance company after I got 2 quotes. They had a slightly higher price. The install was quick and ripped out all the old stuff and vacuumed up afterwards. There were a couple of things I would have changed but overall it was great.

Thank you for the review Curtis! We are happy to hear that you are satisfied. We do make a point to be timely and clean. As you noticed, we provide a high quality installation process, and that is why our prices are not the lowest. Best wishes.

More about Floorscapes Inc

Floorscapes is a full-scale Calgary flooring provider with over 20 years of experience. Our selection of floor coverings is both quality and vast: Hardwood, Ceramic & Porcelain Tile, Natural Stone, Cork, LVT & LVP, Laminate, Leather and Carpet. With a penchant for interior design, we endeavor to contribute to expressive, ...
Looking for Floor Laying & Refinishing pros in Calgary?