The Home Inspection Co

Reviews for The Home Inspection Co

Ben N from Ottawa
Ben N from Ottawa
2 reviews Ottawa, ON

Single family detached older home

Ted Gilmour, the principal of the company, did the inspection of our planned purchase of an older single-family home in the East end of Vancouver near Main and 17th. He kept all his meeting times and report filings on time. He warned us about a few issues we might want to up-date or have repaired. Among these was a potential asbestos issue, which he recommended we have professionally tested. We did this and were happy with the results as it helped us deal more effectively with the contractor who did a few updates for us after the purchase. Ted definitely helped us make an informed and confident purchase decision and we had no surprises after we took possession. I would highly recommend Ted and his company for a professional, very complete and accurate report on a property. His knowledge of construction procedures is also a definite plus.

Hi Ben,
I'm very happy you have touched base with this testimonial. I have to admit when I did the inspection on your home I could not imagine anyone other than a contractor making this purchase. The home was an accumulation of hippie adulterated renovations, yes they were groovy, spiral staircases and all, in many cases totally unsafe and the opposite of what the previous owner, I'm sure with great pride assumed to be “home improvements. “
Much to my surprise you have taken it on and are progressing through the many repairs and alterations required to make it a home. I'm also happy to hear that you have benefited from my inspection and report, using it as a guide and taking out the proper permits to ensure compliance with the city but it also assures that the home will be done with a substantial degree of function, safety and longevity.
Congratulations, you have achieved success against great odds.

Private User reviews Vancouver, BC

Hire this inspector if you really want to know if you should buy a house.

Ted is a very knowledgeable expert in home inspection. I consider it a blessing that he was referred to me. He is absolutely a one of a kind professional who has exposed how the industry cares more about rubber stamps of approval rather than really estimating the deficiencies in a house.

The real estate situation in Vancouver has turned those of us who are desperate to own a home into fools who will rush into buying without knowing the responsibilities of home ownership. Let me break it down for all of you: Spend hundreds to save thousands.

Hi,
Wow most home-buyers hire me for the reasons you have described but till now have never been so blatant. Yes everyone wants the sale to complete including the home-buyer, there's nothing wrong with that except if you don't know what this house is going to cost you in the next year and beyond it could impact your lifestyle quite dramatically. The entrusted responsibility of the home inspector (not me) is to maneuver around these player (real estate agents, homeowner, etc.) influences and present the home in a favorable light, paving the way to a smooth subject removal. Yes everything can be fixed; your real estate agent can get your roof fixed for $150 or the blocked sewer pipe for $250. Real estate agents have a list of service providers who can rush in to put Band-Aids on any home inspector’s discoveries. Real estate agents like to think they save people money when in fact quick fixes only fix the realtor's bottom line by greasing the skids to a successful sale. Remember both agents stand to lose if the house doesn't sell, getting paid sooner is always preferable to getting paid later.
Thanks for your acknowledgment.
Happy Trails...

Stephen in Vancouver
Stephen in Vancouver

North Vancouver Condo Inspection

Ted was very knowledgeable, professional, personable. He showed up on time with a wide rand of equipment. He strongly encouraged that I stay with him during the inspection, which took a few hour but was well worth the time. I am a first time condo owner (have owned houses previously) and have learned an incredible amount of detailed information that will help us with planned renovations and future maintenance. I am confident that the slightly higher price up front was well worth the investment. His help answering questions after the inspection has also been invaluable.

Hi Stephen,
We ask for strata documents, a strata depreciation report and engineers reports, they did not deliver more than 2 yrs of sketchy strata minutes. A bit of a red flag. When I showed up I saw they had done rain screening to the North and East elevations which historically are the 1st building coordinates to fail as in “Leaky Condo Syndrome ”. The portions of the building that had been Rainscreened appeared to be above average retrofit quality and the remainder of the building had been painted which is often times a negative treatment that merely hides moldy staining but also is part of a face sealed system which if water gets in cannot get back out again as water or vapor. There's probably a good reason why they don't make submarines out of stucco, any cracking from building movement will allow water penetration, water penetration leads to catastrophic failure eventually.
I did not discover any moisture on these original exterior walls from the exterior or interior. I just hope that’s true but if it is not you should have $50-$75,000 socked away, even better, if you can find out what the previous rain screening costs were, add 10% or 15%.
There's nothing wrong with buying a potentially problematic building so long as you are aware of the future possibilities. It was a little scary knowing that the strata appeared to be concealing/withholding vital information about your building. I would recommend in your email program to create a file to store all the correspondents you had with the sales project. Basically if you ask for available information that was later determined to reveal serious problems. Yup, you guessed it, they are liable for concealment which in other words is outright fraud.
Long story short- the current painting strategy might last for 10 to 20 yrs. Face sealed Building Envelope/Building Enclosure will fail eventually just as the North and East elevations failed prior to rain their targeted screening.

AlexKatie&Margo in Port Moody
AlexKatie&Margo in Port Moody
1 review Port Moody, BC

Home buying inspection

Ted Gilmore helped us making the biggest purchase in our lifetime - our first house. He helped us a lot to take an informed decision and weigh out all the cons, identify valuable price negotiation points. Ted was very flexible timewise and managed to accommodate our inspection on a short notice. He was very patient helping us to get acquainted with the house and understand crucial maintenance aspects. The report was very detailed and became our maintenance bible.
Ted was very supportive after our move in and consulted us over the phone on seasonal adjustments months after we settled in.
Ted Gilmore is a pleasure to deal with and we highly recommend him as home inspector.

Alex, Katie and Margo

Hi Katie, Alex and Margo,
I get a real fuzzy feeling when people say things like “I was a real pleasure to deal with”. Yeah, that's bound to earn you some brownie points, for sure! You were also a pleasure to work with. When homebuyers are keen to learn about their new home I will spend the time to explain: what's going on, what and how to do deal with it, when to do it and an approximate cost. Many Home inspectors tell you that they want you to follow them during the inspection so they can explain things to you. The trouble is their entire inspection is finished in 3-4 hours including the report with photos. The reality is you tag along behind watching the inspector take photos with his tablet computer and inserting them in the boilerplate template. Basically the inspector is so busy working on the report that he has very limited time for explanations. I would add; the inspector would have very little time for actual discoveries as well within the targeted allocation of time per inspection.
I am one of the only inspectors willing to spend whatever time it takes to discover most everything wrong with a home. When most other inspectors are racing to do 2 inspections per day at $500 per you have to wonder if this is actually a legitimate profession. In my opinion it's not a professional advocacy the way home inspectors have raced to the bottom to maximize profit in as little time. When most every inspection company endeavors to be the cheapest and the fastest it becomes the norm. This does not represent the profession that I thought I was joining. With every new wave of fresh home inspectors entering the workforce I believe we lose a little more integrity. The new breed of home inspectors believe that home inspection toys are the way to lead an inspection. These toys should be used as a confirmation and a method to illustrate particular problems. Experience is what leads a professional, you cannot get experience when you're running through the house with a tablet checking off an inventory of stock components.
As you know I am waiting for your questions.

N. Warnock in Vancouver
N. Warnock in Vancouver

Home Inspection

We are very satisfied by T.H.E. Home Inspection Company who did a thorough inspection of our home that was built in the 1900’s.

In 2007 Ted Gilmore provided us with a professional inspection
after which our family did some home renovations.
We hired Ted Gilmore again to do an inspection this year 2018 as we are planning to do more home renovations. Ted has always provided an easy-to-read step-by-step inspection that includes a presentation of illustrated digital photos. . We highly recommend T.H.E. Home Inspection Company.

Thank you Ted!
Sincerely, The Warnock Family

Hi Warnock family,
Yes we do have some history and I'm always grateful when people choose me to inspect a 2nd time. A typical home inspection is only accurate for the day it was conducted, yeah sure some issues will remain the same but there are so many things that I cannot see until they reach an historical milestone which may reveal telltale indicators of deterioration/failure. Your 1st inspection revealed a multitude of serious problems where the lesser issues took a backseat in my reporting, not neglected just not as prominent in their urgency. Your 2nd inspection almost 10 yrs later of course revealed some of the same issues but also brought to light others that were not apparent due to weather/time of year or overshadowed by the volume of more serious priorities. Yes I do try to provide a chronological roadmap to repair or sustainability but that also requires your ongoing input and collaboration with me to assist in your making better choices and repair scheduling.
I remember your late father Joe, he was a very interesting man, he took a very keen interest in this home and was hopeful that the family could and would maintain it for their own use which you have to some degree. Joe was old school, as I recall he was a Prof. most teachers and professors have a very stringent yardstick for giving perfect marks. Even though he was thoroughly impressed with the service I provided he only saw fit to award me a 9 out of 10 stars. I totally respect that as being a 15 out of 10 stars in the world of Home Star reviews.
Thank you Joe and family, it has been a real pleasure to serve the generations.
Your advocate.
Happy trails,

Holly in Vancouver
Holly in Vancouver
1 review Richmond, BC

Detached home inspection in Richmond

Ted is an extremely thorough inspector. In the past, we have used other inspectors who use a binder checklist. Not Ted! He went through every aspect of the house with the us, taking as much time as needed to answer all our questions and explain to our satisfaction what he found. It was definitely an eye opening and learning experience for us. Even after the inspection, Ted was happy to answer any questions we had (even months later when we finally moved in and had more questions!). Ted takes his time to do a complete and meticulous job, pays attention to detail, and puts his clients first. His report contains pictures with captions and labels, and detailed not only aspects of the house, but also provided other sources of information and links that were relevant to the property (e.g. when discussing the hot water tank, he linked information regarding tankless systems because we had discussed it during inspection). Thank you Ted , for doing such an amazing job!

Hi Holly,
There is a trend in the last 5 to 10 yrs where homebuyers are looking for a bargain home inspection or you might say a”good deal”. In the last 10 yrs houses have almost doubled in price and buyers are looking for a cheap, fast inspection? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me so I assume salespeople are somehow convincing people they do not need to do their due diligence because the market is so hot. (There should be legislation to give every homebuyer a legal right to do their due diligence but there is a very strong lobby against this novel idea) From my experience it doesn't matter how hot the market is, you still want to do your due diligence. You mentioned previous home inspectors you've used who utilized a binder checklist system. Nowadays the same home inspectors have purchased computer software that has the equivalents of a checklist style home inspection except you can add photos. These programs are so slick that using a tablet computer they can walk through the house and take pictures that are immediately inserted into the report template with the corresponding boilerplate description/advice. The previous standard model was 2-3hr inspections using checklists. Now it's 3 to 4hrs for a complete inspection turnaround, yes that includes the report which is generated after all the obvious, generalized and superficial tasks on the computer program have been completed. Had you gone with another inspector you would never have known the depth of the inspection or the actual utility of the report for negotiating but also to maintain your home. You don't know how sorry I am to say that in my opinion and experience, real estate agents have gained such a hold over 95% of the home inspectors. Home inspectors are more than willing to go along to get along. And that means generalized fast inspections. The reporting systems have come a long way from the scratchy paper checklists to the now photo enhanced boilerplate. If you were to get a 2nd inspection on another house and done by another inspector using the same computer generated report system you would find very little difference between the 2 houses.
When I started doing inspections 20 yrs ago I worked for another company who used an industry leading checklist system. It didn't take me long to realize these checklist systems simply did not have the categories or clarity of the written word and they certainly didn't have photos. I was embarrassed to handover these flimsy pieces of paper as representing the depth of my investigation. There simply wasn't the language to describe or to assist the homebuyer in taking the next step towards ownership and that's exactly what the sales industry was looking for. After 2 months of working for this company I struck out on my own and never looked back. I simply was not able to sell my clients a bill of goods, after all, their potential future hinges on my inspection and communication clarity. Back then, as today, home inspectors are simply used to rubberstamp a buyer's attempt of due diligence. How should homebuyers know when this was/is the industry state-of-the-art and their trusted agent doesn't betray the scam. I call it a scam because in my opinion home inspectors are not professional they are simply agents of the sales community, they are team players. Home inspectors are dependent on real estate agent referrals, anyone who bucks the system is blackballed by everyone involved. Nobody wants some Maverick shining a light on their nepotism or “professional” incompetence. Home inspectors have simply lost perspective with the task they are entrusted to perform. An inspector's true client is the realtor.
Holly thank you for writing this account of my services, my clients are my one and only client and source of future work from referrals by satisfied clients, and not (necessarily) satisfied real estate agents.

Hoda from Vancouver in Vancouver
Hoda from Vancouver in Vancouver
1 review Vancouver, BC

Ted saved us hundreds of thousands of dollars!

We have used Ted’s services about 4 times to purchase condos in Vancouver. He has always advised us objectively about the pros and cons of each property, giving us enough details so that we can make an informed decision.
Recently we fell in love with a view property in a building that was built in the 1980’s. Knowing that Vancouver still has a large proportion of leaky properties that have not been rainscreened, we were quite concerned about the state of the building.
Ted to the rescue! He pointed out all of the building’s deficiencies with cause and required repair scenarios, while providing a range of eventual rehabilitation costs. He also agreed with our suspicions that when the strata declined to commission an engineering or depreciation report, it was quite apparent after Ted's critical observations, they were trying to hide the actual state of the building. In the latest case, it became obvious that the strata was busy putting out fires, (pressure washing, painting and caulking) nearly every year. The strata had accredited the "health" of their building exterior to the diligent annual building envelope inspection, pressure washing and repairs by a window washing company.
Ted explained that a good building does not require this level of diligence to maintain a healthy exterior and therefore must be fighting off inevitable and costly failures. Ted's explanations were detailed; changing our ignorance to a more advanced degree of building enlightenment. Ted explained that our previous experiences were not EIFS exteriors (somewhat good-looking exterior even today) relieving our embarrassment for choosing a troubled building after all our previous educational encounters.
If we had bought, we would have been heavily burdened with huge assessments in our retiring years; we would rather keep our little nest egg for future travel and possible emergencies. Even though I am disappointed, I appreciate Ted’s honesty and commitment. He is one of the few independent inspectors in Vancouver who cannot be bribed or influenced by realtors to produce a kinder inspection report. He is working for you and you alone! He may be more expensive than the others, but considering the cost of Vancouver real estate, does it make any sense to hire a cheaper inspector to do a quick inspection and report?

Hi Hoda,
It was so good to work with you again, you are my perfect kind of customer; keenly interested in the details of every corner of the home/property.
What is scary and you pointed it out was; there were backup offers, yes somebody will buy that condo unit with a little nudge from their agent. The strata has diligently buried critical information regarding their building’s history. They do know what is wrong with the building because even real estate agents know enough about early EIFS exteriors to offer a similar assessment as we discussed. They have painted that building so many times that water blisters behind the stucco like exterior skin cannot drain and cannot breath. I understood the real estate agent was quite upset for wasting her time. What she's not considering is had you purchased without subjects or with a less experienced inspector, you could've been saddled with a very diminished future than what you had in mind. She is also not considering the grief that you would have experienced had you purchased this property, she's forgetting that her job is to provide access and to facilitate your needs in the purchase, you are the one that should be upset for the waste of time and money.
Yippee, Dodged another bullet to live another happy day.

Miriam from Vancouver
Miriam from Vancouver
3 reviews Vancouver, BC

Home inspection, detached home in Vancouver

Buying a house is stressful, and the subject removal period is probably the most stressful time of all. Having a knowledgeable and trustworthy home inspector at your side is critical, at least if you are like us, and like to do your due diligence before buying. Ted has inspected three homes for us, and every time the experience has been amazing. Ted communicates clearly before the inspection, telling customer, real estate agent, and any other party that might be involved exactly what to expect, and how to prepare. On the day of the inspection, he likes to arrive early, take a tour of the outside, and then inspect the inside systematically from basement to attic. He prefers that customers are present throughout the inspection, and if you want to know how your house works this is highly recommended. Expect Ted to stick his head into every corner, pull back carpets and sniff for mold, and crawl into the attic (no matter how little space there is). This takes time, more time than the usual home inspection, but it's worth the investment. By the end of the inspection, you will have learned a lot about how your future house works, and what needs to be fixed before you can move in (or why you really shouldn't buy it). But the best part of all is Ted's report. Expect approx. 40 pages or more of high-resolution photos with detailed captions and descriptions. Importantly, Ted does not just focus on the flaws, he also points out what's good and new, and won't need your attention for years. He gives a detailed "how-to" guide to the home, ranging from where to shut off the main water to how to install a better lock on your front door. And that's not all. If you decide to buy the home, rest assured that Ted will be available to give you advice when it comes to repairs, whether you want to do them yourself, or hire someone to do them for you. We recommend Ted in the strongest possible terms to anyone interested in learning everything about their future home. He is an outstanding home inspector who takes his business very seriously, and provides the highest quality of report.

My what a detailed account of your home inspection experience. Regarding real estate agents, your testimonial almost implies that real estate agents might be shadowing the inspection. As you know, I never allow agents to be in the same room if possible when I'm doing an inspection. Your inspection is your private business, privacy allows us all to speak freely and candidly. The last thing I would want would be for an agent to explain my report as is common in the industry. When I have finish the inspection process including the report review I try to make sure my client understands most everything I've told them and in the context of firsthand, tactile involvement. What happened and I'm sure that this is what you meant: when everyone arrives I explain the Home inspection process and what I expect or prefer from my clients and their agent. I simply ask the agent to give us privacy during the entire inspection, most of this is quite clear to real estate agents if they know their code of ethics and standards of practice they quietly slip into the background or leave. A home has many stories to tell, some interesting stories and some less critical, the details are so numerous that it's nearly impossible to report on all of them and that is why you are here with me; I identify everything I see in terms of: intended function, it's maintenance requirements, its degree of failing, cost and anticipated timeline. I can't do all that for every item in a report, it's often sufficient to explain at the time of discovery. There is a lot of information and I am always eager to review our findings when it comes time for you to deal with them. When it comes to serving the best interests of my clients I have found that the more I know the longer the inspection takes and generally involves more digging than average. When I compose the report it is not a boilerplate template, it's simply abbreviated plain language with enhanced photos. My time spent inspecting and composing a report are for the explicit benefit of your home buying process. If you do purchase the home, you will be very comfortable with all the things we discovered and needing your attention.
Thanks Miriam, I do appreciate feedback.

Christina in Vancouver
Christina in Vancouver
1 review Surrey, BC

Home Inspection

I am a first time home buyer who knows very little about my new home. I need a home inspection and my relative recommended Ted who is an independent home inspector and is unaffiliated with any realtor. He provided me with very honest comments and professional information during the inspection. Although he charged slightly higher than the market average, he spent about 3 hours to inspect my place, together with more than half a day to work on the report. The report is customized with very clear pictures of my place, detailed comments about each problem, both apparent and potential, as well as general information for home maintenance. The whole inspection experience served a highly educational purpose and I learnt a lot from Ted’s demonstration, explanation and guidance. He was very organized, easy to work with and is open to any question after he has completed the report. I highly recommend Ted to all home buyers!

Hi Christina,
I'm truly gratified to learn of all the positive characteristics you a have attributed to my inspection service.
Home inspections have been reduced to fast turnarounds and for around $4-$550. Does this quick service represent the height of home buyer diligence? I don't imagine a service that has been designed to rush through an inspection for the sake of clearing the way to a quick closing is in a buyer's best interest and yet agents often promote various home inspectors as being really fast and cheep. The scope and duration of the average home inspection has been determined by successful agent referrals, yes every successful agent has a corral of successful home inspectors. Generally speaking, for a real estate agent to be successful, it is not always predicated on homebuyer best practices. If a home inspector creates too much trouble by their negative findings for agents to steer the buyer around. If the deal goes south, so do future inspection referrals.
If this sounds too preposterous to be true I've been to real estate agent training courses where they explicitly described how any inspector poisoning the sale in any way will find themselves on the black list and not just with that agent but the entire brokerage.

Special note: I'm always amused when clients say I was there for a full 3, 5 or 7 hours when in fact I am on site for an hour before my clients arrival. They tend to count the hours they are there. I mention this because the more time spent investigating the more likely your inspector will make discoveries of any previous repairs, owner cover-ups or deferred maintenance leading to significant future repair/replacement. Any inspector who can hand you a completed inspection report (computer generated- as the name implies it is a superficial inventory of the home's components) in the industry average of a 4 hour turnaround may well be hastily rushing through your report and not making critical connections to subtle clues or evidence.

I'm very pleased that you were not dissuaded by your real estate agent to go with your agent's favorite inspector.

Emily in Surrey
Emily in Surrey
1 review Surrey, BC

Home inspection in Burnaby

Ted did the home inspection for our first single family house just a few days ago. We highly recommend Ted to anyone who are looking for home inspection. The difference between Ted and some other inspectors is that he is an independent home inspector. He does not work with any realtors. The price looks high, but the hourly rate is very low. He spent maybe double the normal inspection time (in our case, from 9:30 to 5pm) to check the house very thoroughly. Then he spent another day to work on the customized report (not software generated) and another 2+ hours to go through the report with us. Plus, he is so willing to help us to answer any ongoing questions by phone calls and emails from renovation plans to even our insurance questionnaire. Do the math! The price is definitely reasonable considering all the services we got. We're very happy to have him to inspect our house. Since this is our first house and it is an old house (32 years), we have almost no knowledge about it. Thanks Ted, we have a much clear picture about what we are getting and have a better idea how to improve our house in the next few years. Note that English is not our first language. Although many house-related words are out of our vocabulary, Ted is very patient on explaining them to us. Thanks Ted. A big thumb up.

Emily & Daniel

Hi Emily & Daniel,
Yes, incredible as it sounds, the 2 issues you site are unbelievable. Independence from Real Estate Agents and their referral practices of rewarding some of the worst inspection companies with referral work. They may have great credentials and even endorsements but the bottom line is they know that if the sale is not successful they are taking a great risk with future referrals. The other critical issue; in a typical 3-4 & ocasionally 5 hour industry inspection turn around there simply isn't enough time to do a thorough investigation while filling in a checklist style boilerplate, computer generated reporting system. Speed might be necessary in some transactions but if your real estate agent is properly advising you, you should book your inspection immediately following an accepted offer, you may well need extra time to get repair/replacement estimates before proceeding to subject removal. If you suspect the agents are conspiring to railroad you, you could well be right. No one tells you what the rules are or what your rights are, your home inspector may be your only friend unless the inspector is dependent on realtor referrals. By the way some inspection companies claim to be independent, in these cases independent meaning they do not work for a franchise inspection company. There are many deceptions, subtle deceptions in this industry, do your inspector shopping early. Ask what they did prior to becoming a home inspector, not many have yrs of industry trade experience. You cannot substitute experience for classroom time.

More about The Home Inspection Co

The real goods; no Bull! http: / / tedgilmour. ca/ realtor-versus-inspector/
Looking for Home Inspection pros in Vancouver?