Builders

Reviews for Arista Homes

European Goddess
European Goddess

Vaughan Valley Estates Woodbridge

i have lived in my arista home for the last 6 years and i have never had any issues other then minor wear and tear. similar homes in my area from different builders sell for alot less then my home. yes they are expensive but trust me you get what you pay for and the only people who complain are those who choose cheap finishes. if you budget for quality upgrades like i did you won't be dissatisfied for years to come. i wish they would make more homes in the king or vaughan area so i can buy from them again.

Muhammad Waqas from Milton
Muhammad Waqas from Milton
1 review Milton, ON

Service

Terrible after sales service. Been trying to reach them for a month regarding an issue with water pipe but they say that they will send someone to take a look but they haven't send someone yet. They do not like to respond to voicemail messages either.

Ivan Smith from Markham
Ivan Smith from Markham

Upper Union Ville

I brought an Arista homes because the model looks nice. But was I wrong. The service people only talks about good service but did the opposite. I did a review for my home with an Arista person for cable and telephone installation. I notice a big hole in the wall of a bedroom in the second floor.. This is before they did the installation. I asked if they could patched this big hole in the wall. Their reply was that this was not a structural problem and they will not fix it. In fact they will just cover it with insulation. I was very disappointed with this response because I was truly hoping for better.

Imagine they cover up the problem for the ones I see. Imagine what they will do for the ones I don't see.

Gary from Markham
Gary from Markham

New home in Upper Unionville

I regret buying this house. They gave us a house with broken items, made mistakes repeatedly and almost cost my mother his life (went to emergency, had to treat for severe clots for 6 months) since their mistakes include making giant holes in the middle of my lawn. When I asked them why this is, they were amazingly silent. Then they littered coffee cups, coke caps and ROCKS all over my lawn for questioning then. I have the pictures of it if people are interested. PLEASE DO NOT buy from this builder. You are worth more than that...

Sameer Sekhon from Woodbridge
Sameer Sekhon from Woodbridge
1 review Woodbridge, ON

New home in Vaughan Valley Estates

Arista has been a terrible experience from the first day. The only thing these guys did properly was take our deposit. From the worst price negotiations, to not returning phone calls, to not taking responsibility of their own mistakes, they have taken no action to satisfy the customer. Once I sell my home, I will never go with Arista Again.

newhomerdoh! from Markham
newhomerdoh! from Markham

New Home Upper Unionville

905-660-5000
3811 Derry W
Hornby

I read some of these reviews, but only after I put in an offer. Wish I had done some more homework earlier...

Likes:
- they have been good to follow Tarion deadlines, they usually return emails but some people don't and some not often...
- they underpromise on things, only to deliver or add features later

Dislikes:
- head office was unprofessional with timing, sign backs, and return calls; some even don't have voice mail
- decor centre: like previously commented, if you don't upgrade, they give you the lowest quality materials that don't even match! (pure crap)
- they contract out to shoddy workers: poor paint quality, messy washroom installations, and sometimes written instructions are not followed
- they don't build everything to code, e.g. light switches behind doors and won't fix unless you push hard

Tip: 1) don't rely on only Tarion awards to tell you whether the builder is good or not. Tarion is moving more towards supporting builders than owners, though some new rules are improving.
2) trust some of these comments and don't assume you'll be one of the lucky ones.
3) don't trust their features sheet w/out seeing samples before you put in offer.
4) really do consult a lawyer before you purchase. Arista's link to purchase offer was broken before it opened.
5) don't ignore red flags to most important purchase of your life

George Jucan in Woodbridge
George Jucan in Woodbridge
1 review WOODBRIDGE, ON

Buyer beware of what's behind the walls!

I purchased a house 12 years ago from Arista, but never did any major renovations until couple of days ago when I tried to change the backyard door. As soon as I removed the frame I smelled mold, and no wonder – there was no water barrier installed and the exterior plywood, as well as the subfloor toward the kitchen, was all rotten. That is on top of a main support beam that was in 2 pieces, without even a mending plate to connect them.
This shows not only extremely poor craftsmanship from the trade people that did it, but especially lack of supervision from the site supervisors and inspectors – things like a cut support beam and missing exterior water barrier should have never passed inspection! I am scared of what else would I find if I ever open up a wall again!
Lastly, I called Arista customer support to provide them a chance to do something about it – and was refused politely but firmly on the account that the house passed the 7 years structural warranty period.
So, if despite all the above, anyone still decides to buy from Arista Homes, be prepared at 6.5 years to rip apart all the walls and check what’s underneath or be ready to undertake very expensive repairs once 7 years have passed.

David in Milton
David in Milton
1 review Milton, ON

New Home

I was in the building industry for 10+years and have experience purchasing homes directly from a builder.
My Arista home is generally nice. The materials used fit the price that was paid however there are many small design items that are only noticeable after you move in. I would purchase a resale Arista home again however if I was purchasing a new I would look at other builders. The amount of money needed immediately to upgrade and fix-up the home was way larger the expected.
The service follow up has been terrible. After my home was closed, there was still work to be completed inside and out. I was bounced around from one department to the next with nobody taking full ownership of next steps. Finally I had a 30day walk through and had many items to discuss. The person from Arista Service argued on ever item and it was obvious that her/his entire objective was to reject as many items as possible and complete this walk through - not customer service. (I had a Mattamy home before and the difference between the 30day walk throughs was staggering). There were a few items that Arista needs to confirm and he/she indicated that they would call me back within a few days with the details. However, 7-10 days later the 30day form was hung on my doorknob and there was no direct communication was given.
Here is an example - There are 2 entrances into my house, through the garage and front door. When you enter through the garage/mud room you immediately walk to into my kitchen. Well, there was no switch for the lights in the kitchen when entering that way and we would then have to walk through a dinning area and kitchen to turn on a light into the house. At nighttime this is a serious safety hazard for my wife and kids. I asked about adding a light switch so that I can turn the lights on in the kitchen when entering through the garage. And this is still a battle when it should be more common sense.
These are the little things that you cannot plan for when purchasing a home and should be standard items….however they are not with Arista.

Andrew in the GTA
Andrew in the GTA
6 reviews Etobicoke, ON

New Home

The home was great at first, and Arista was very intent on getting everything right....until the 30 day form. Part of our purchase agreement was that the water damaged sub flooring in the family room would be replaced. They did replace some of the sub flooring, but did not ensure it was level! We have an area in our house that slopes... Tripping hazard! Also, on the 2nd floor, the entire hallway was warped, and creeks, and in one of the bed rooms, the floor creeks like crazy. This happened right away after we moved in.

Arista at first said they would redo the sub flooring in the 1st and 2nd floor, but then Milan (a worker with Arista) said that it would be best to wait a year before doing this work. He said he confirmed with the site manager Sergio that this would be okay. We agreed, and they had us sign the Tarion form stating everything was okay, and we would wait untill the 1st year form for the work to be done. BIG MISTAKE. Also, for other home owners to know, once you sign in good faith, Tarion does not care if a builder acts in bad faith. Once you sign, that is it.

We filled out the 1st year form in December 2010, and called Arista, and emailed them to let them know we needed the work to be done. My wife was on mat leave and they could have come at any time to repair the flooring. Arista employee Glen came out with the hardwood flooring company twice to "review" the flooring (once in January, the second time in February), then didn't show up again. We contacted Glen again in April to see what was going on. When he came out a third time with the flooring contractor, he talked to my wife and refused to fix the subflooring saying there was no dip in the floor, and even tried to deny there was any issue on the 2nd floor. The representative from the flooring company is the one who told Glen that there was an issue with the floor, and that no amout of humidity would have caused the problems we had. Guess what? Glen didn't call us back for several more months... We emailed and called his supervisor Nat.

Within a couple hours Glen was at our door. When he came out, I was there and he told me exactly what he told my wife, that our floors were fine. I took 12 cups of water and poured on the floor and it all pooled in the area where there was a dip in the floor. Only at that time did he admit there was a dip in the floor and made an excuse that he always saw it. Pathetic! We have had four people almost fall walking over this area. I told him Milan (who still works at Arista) told us that Arista would fix the floors. Glen would later call back and state that Milan had no memory of this...

The only thing Arista did was replace the hardwood (which did nothing to solve the problem which is with the subflooring). In fact on the 2nd floor, after re-installing the hardwood we now we have a second tipping hazard at the top of our stairs!

We were very happy with the house (aside from the floors), now we are so angry we just want to move out and never have anything to do with Arista again. I told Glen flat out, it is too bad they are unwilling to fix the floors because otherwise it could have been a good house. Fixing the floors was even in our agreement to buying the house. 2 years later, were are going to have to pay out of pocket to fix these floors. Unbelievable.

If people think all builders are like this, an example of a builder that knows how to do it right is Cachet Reid homes in London, Ontario. Our friends had a similar issue. Cachet Reid ripped up most of the first floor, to solve the problem.

Regarding the people who give Arista 10 on home stars, look at these people's other reviews, they give everyone 10 and are very generic. Probably employees of Arista trying to boost up their rating.

More about Arista Homes

Arista Homes is an award-winning company that has built over 8, 500 new homes across the Greater Toronto Area GTA.
Looking for Builders pros in Vaughan?