Handiman 4U

Allison from Whitby
Allison from Whitby
1 review Whitby, ON

replacing posts

I hired Claude (Handi4U) to replace three posts (one on the veranda, two on the balcony). He assured me that he had 35 years experience and that it would be no problem for him. The contract stated that he would be done within 5 days. He started on a Monday, and he did not show up Wed, Thurs., Friday. When it became apparent that he was not coming on Friday to finish, I called him and he said that his supplier ordered something in the the wrong size and he would be back the following Monday. He did not call me to let me know this.
On Monday he returned and capped the posts. He then told me there was a problem with putting the balcony railing back as it didn't reach anymore. The posts he installed were skinnier than the original ones so my current railings were now too short. Also, the aluminum ceiling now had cutouts that were too large (see pictures). When asked about fixing these issues, he said he "didn't do that". He did quote me ANOTHER job for putting in a brand new railing though! When I asked why he didn't predict that this would happen because of the skinnier posts, he proclaimed "how am I supposed to predict that?"
The upstairs posts still had a wooden box around them that needed to be capped. Claude decided (without asking me) to put a "drink ledge" on both posts to keep water out. When I asked if that would make it more difficult and expensive to cap, he said No. He was incorrect and now I have to have those ledges removed or cut off before they are capped.
I have since had two contractors come out to quote the job that Claude left unfinished. Both contractors were baffled by the job he did, stating that it was very sloppy work. One asked me if I got the "handyman special".
In summary, Claude, although he constantly claimed to be one of the "last honest contractors", left me high and dry with an unfinished ceiling, boxes that were difficult to cap, and NO railing which is very unsafe.
Would I recommend him? Absolutely not.

DaniaC from Pickering
DaniaC from Pickering
3 reviews Pickering, ON

Tile floor

Claude was hired to replace our tile floor on the main floor (approx 800 sq/ft) of our house. When the job was "done", the tiles were uneven, and kept coming loose. Claude recommended that I cover uneven areas with an area rug. Plus large areas of grout kept falling out. When I vacuumed my tile floor, my grout would come out.
When he would try to fix the loose tiles, his "repair" job would make the problem worse or the tiles were raised compared to the other tiles.
I also ended up with grout all over my kitchen cupboards. Plus they put holes in my walls when removing the old tiles and base boards that they promised to repair, but never did. They also never closed off the area in my house where they were working, so I had enormous amounts of dust/ mess all over my house. His worker also walked with his work boots into other parts of my house that they were not working in and scratched my newly finished hardwood floors.
I finally stopped calling Claude to fix loose tiles and grout issues.

Michael from Antero's Urban Wood Designs

416-937-1948
1035 Toy Avenue, Unit 19
Pickering
L1W 3N9

Claude came highly recommended and did a great job in bringing our vision to reality. He stayed within budget and although it took a little longer than originally expected, that was due to issues out of his control. We've gotten so many great compliments!

More about Handiman 4U

Handiman 4U is a one-stop resource for all your home maintenance needs. We specialize in home repairs and renovations. With more than 30 years in the home building trades, founder Claude Mainville has a simple philosophy: there is no job too small for Handiman 4U! Small, inexpensive repair and maintenance ...
Looking for Handyman Services pros in Pickering?