Golden Windows

Windows & Doors Installation & Service
1112 March Road Ottawa ON K2W 1B6

Reviews for Golden Windows

glass insert replacement

We had our windows and doors installed by Golden Windows when we first built our house in 2005. Last summer we noticed there were some fog in the glass insert in our back door so we contacted Golden Window in Sept to enquire about warranty and cost.
Customer Service told us that an installer will come to give us an assessment and determine whether the door is still within warranty. Depending the year and the model, they provide 10 to 20 years of warranty
I called them 2 weeks later as no installer has shown up; customer service said she will follow-up with the local office
Another 2 weeks passed, still nothing. Customer service said she will contact local office again.
Another week, customer service said I should contact local office myself. So I called and local office said they never received any request from customer service. If I want to know the warranty service, I should call customer service.
Called customer service again and she insisted that an installer needs to come to our house for assessment to determine 1) whether glass is still under warranty, and 2) whether the glass is still being manufactured. She said she will talk to the local office again.
By the end of Nov we still have no info if we can get our glass insert replaced.
We finally went to the local office and we’ve been told that we need to contact the customer service as they are the one having access to the price list.
We contacted the manufacturer of the windows ourself (Masonite) and they confirmed that the style are still being made and we can send the link to the dealer if we want to place the order.
So we called Customer service again asking if we can get a quote now we know we can order the same glass insert. She said she needs the thickness as there are 2 thickness in the glass insert. We asked if we can get a quote for both types. She said she will get back to us. Then the local office called us back and try to schedule an appointment with us for the assessment. And also we’ve been told that our door was not in their system so no warranty will be offered.
This info is new to us. We had all windows and doors installed by Golden Windows with the receipt. We took picture of the door which is the same pattern as rest of the doors. Warranty is offered by the manufacturer and we pay for the labor anyway. Staff told us that it does happen that sometime the order get changed and the changes were not reflected in the system for some reason. Just because someone at GW did not entered the receipt or description of the door properly, why should we be penalized?
More importantly, with computerize inventory and price system, how hard is to provide a quote? And the inconstant info, the constant follow-ups and time lag from service request in Sept until now on trying to get a simple answer (warranty yes or no and quote for replacement) is so frustrating.

Dear Private User,

I am sorry to hear about your negative experience with Golden Windows. We have been in business for over 50 years and take a lot of pride in our products and service. I would like to learn more about your experience. If you can please contact me with your name/phone number at your earliest convenience, it would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to speaking with you.

Amanda Soltys, Marketing Specialist
[email protected]

1 review Guelph, ON

Window Replacement

Terrible. Customer Service is bad. "technicians" don't have a focus on quality. Poor product, poor installation and NO follow up from them. On my email to them complaining about deficiencies and handprints over the windows their response was that "Our technicians don’t typically clean the windows so as to not introduce chemicals (cleaning agent) to the silicone beads so that they have an opportunity to cure properly." ... really?? Did I pay that much to have dirty windows installed in my upper hall?

Hi,
We would like to apologize for your negative experience with Golden Windows. We have been in business for over 50 years and take a lot of pride in our products. We’d like to learn more about your specific situation and make thing right. If you wouldn’t mind giving me a call at 800-265-2290 ext. 241 or sending an email to [email protected] at your earliest convenience, it would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to speaking with you.

1 review Kingsville, ON

New Build

VERY POOR QUALITY. We will most likely need to prematurely replace all windows after our builder chose to deal with this company. Leaking, exterior paint wearing off (after only a few months), replacement slider door handles required. Customer service is extremely poor and service is incompetent. Job still incomplete. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Hi

RP in Toronto
RP in Toronto

Patio Door

I ordered a large picture window from this company a year ago and though it took months to receive i was happy with the product and service.
I ordered a patio door through this company more recently based on my positive experience. I followed up 2 weeks before scheduled delivery and was told everything was on scheduled. I followed up the day before to find out it was going to take another week. So i rescheduled the installers.
Finally the day arrives and i get a call from the delivery person saying they won't bring it up to the stairs to the house as a matter of policy. I repeatedly told the rep that there were stairs in all correspondence. i also reminded them of the last delivery as i know it can be an issue moving things. in the end, we are scrambling to get this large patio door off the curb of a major thoroughfare in Toronto. No compensation or anything offered.
Very poor service stemming from ill-informed reps in their office. Not sure if the $4400 patio will even be intact by the time i get home today. If they get this wrong after repeated warnings they could get anything else wrong. Go anywhere else for windows and doors.

Patio door leaks

We purchased a new construction house in 2012, and the door/window supplier was Golden windows. Around 2015, we started to notice that the door leaked when it rained. There was also water in the door threshold, and the glass insert was also leaking. I contacted Golden Windows in summer 2016, and they came to try to seal up the glass insert and replaced a weatherstripping. However, that didn't fix the problem.

Now is 2017, and one day when it rained, the door leaked again, and the water got to the basement. I then took a closer look at the door myself and it seems there is a lot of water in the door threshold when it rains, and the threshold doesn't drain well. It also appears that both ends of the threshold have gaps, and I see water dripping to the basement through the subfloor directly under the area of the door jambs, especially the right side. I'm wondering if there is something incorrect or missing (e.g., drain pan) in the original installation, and the service repair appointment a year ago didn't solve the leak issue.

I have since emailed the service repair department, but the responses have been slow. I'm not sure if they are willing to or have the ability to fix the leak issue.

Based only on the after-sale service, I won't recommend Golden Windows to anyone.

Can you please email me directly and I can look in to the matter that you are experiencing
We at Golden Windows take these matters seriously
[email protected]

Window installation

Poor service and sales staff. Job only partially completed 3 months after taking full payment. The only thing done quickly was taking the down payment.
Definitely stay away from this company.

Dawna from Fergus
Dawna from Fergus
1 review Fergus, ON

Golden Windows installed beautiful wood windows but some started to rot within 5 to 10 years. They charged $40 to do an assessment and charged full price for replacement - definitely not worth the cost for an inferior product.

We appreciate your feedback; however we would like to point out a few things related to your post. You purchased these products in 1999 (15 years ago) and stated that they began to “rot within 5 to 10 years”. Had you contacted us when you first noticed an issue, the units would have been within our warranty period and we would have been able to avoid the level of issues that were ultimately incurred at no or little expense to you. Since the warranty had expired when you contacted us, we do have a $40 charge to perform an assessment. Had you decided to proceed with the suggested repairs, the $40 is deducted from the total cost of the repairs, which was approximately $2,200 not $22,000 as you reported, allowing the assessment to be completed at no charge to you.
Our assessment of your windows did indicate rotting, which is generally the result of lack of interior and exterior maintenance. Windows are like all other consumer products and require general service and maintenance or at a minimum, a visual inspection and operation performance check to ensure the longevity of the product. Repeating the above statement – had you done this and reported it when it originated, you would have been within our warranty time frame.
We respect your opinion; however we wholeheartedly disagree with it. Our products are used all over the world and quality and service are the cornerstones of our company. We take pride in providing Golden Windows and Doors to the new construction and replacement markets that have proudly used our door and windows in their homes up to and including multi-million dollar estates for the past 53+ years.

Kay Oh from Ottawa
Kay Oh from Ottawa
15 reviews Ottawa, ON

Supplied and installed entrance door and all windows

Golden Windows is a little shop on March Road that will be easily missed if you are not paying attention. Having never been window and door shopping, I wasn't sure what to expect. Once I walked in, it looked a little disorganized but it gets better once you past the first few feet of the store. They have some samples of doors and a lot of catalogs to see what fits you best. The staff is particularly helpful. I wanted a double door entrance door for the extra width, but I didn't realized there would be so many choices (i.e., 1/4 glass, 2/3 glass, full glass). I liked one of the patterns, but wasn't sure if I wanted to splurge on the full glass or just the 2/3 so the staff member offered to show me what it looked like by taking me the only person who had this design in full. This extra step helped me decide to just take the 2/3 glass. It worked out great! They are flexible in payments. I had to put down 30% on my credit card, I believe, and then paid pull later on. Once it was delivered to be installed, they came and did their thing.I had a screen ripped a couple of times, though not sure if it came like that or one the guys working on my house got a little aggressive. They exchanged it, but it took a couple of months though. They said they hadn't put the order in for a replacement and not sure why it wasn't put it in. We eventually got it. I wished they would somehow seal the windows a little better, though. I can feel the cold air drifting (my house face against the wind). Also, make sure your subcontractors don't damage the casing or the window, because Golden Windows will not change it up for you. We had a huge crack around the plastic/metal and they said it was not their responsibility. Overall, nice doors and average windows, but onsite service could be a little better.

More about Golden Windows

With Golden Windows, you can reinvent your home and save money by replacing under-performing or drafty windows with new, maintenance free options. Installing energy-efficient windows and doors is an important factor in lowering your energy bill. Our aluminum, wood, and vinyl windows are vanguards of efficiency and easy maintenance. We ...