Natural Landscapes Inc.

Landscape Contractors & Designers
Calgary AB T2J 1K2

Reviews for Natural Landscapes Inc.

Diana
Diana

Backyard Landscaping

Natural Landscapes completed a couple of projects for us this year (2019). The first one was a large scale, backyard rebuilding, that took place in the spring. We had previously done some extensive excavating for a home renovation project, and as a result, the backyard was completely destroyed. Doug and his team were tasked with site re-grading, building new cedar planter boxes, a retaining wall around the patio area, supply and installation of patio stones and steps connecting the upper portion of the yard to the patio, supply and installation of adequate drainage system, as well as sod and planting a variety of plants, bushes and a small tree.
The second project consisted in refinishing two concrete posts that were cracked and re-building the stairs on the front of the house in order to bring them up to code.
Both projects were completed efficiently, within budget and on schedule. Doug and his team are very dedicated, hardworking, professional and take pride in the final product. In addition, we had to rely on Doug’s expertise a few times to come up with some creative and cost-effective solutions and we were not disappointed.
We highly recommend Natural Landscapes for any landscaping needs.

Thanks Diana,
It was a pleasure working for you and your husband. I especially like to do gardens for young families
so they can spend many hours outdoors spending family tie together. I hope you can enjoy your garden for many years to come.

Private User reviews Calgary, AB

Backyard Update

We recently used Natural Landscapes to update our backyard after using them seventeen years ago to do a complete yard installation. Their initial vision for our yard matured beautifully, but over time our needs changed and we wanted to have some updates. The changes were done with the same care and attention that we initially received years ago. We were happy to recommend Natural Landscapes to our neighbour, who is now also refreshing and updating their landscape.

Thank You for your kind words. It is not very often I get to go back and see yard 17 years
later.All the plantings filled in beautifully,my favorite part of the yard is where the pine trees are growing over the waterfall creating a very tranquil area.

Private User reviews Edmonton, AB

FULL BACK YARD DESIGN- AMAZING!!!

Doug came highly recommended. We had an extremely difficult , drastically sloped property on a hill. We needed someone good. Doug definitely was it!
Doug completed our budgeted designed project phase 1 (back yard) in 5 weeks of Aug 2017. Handled Slope stability issues, 50 tons of Rundlestone, 100 huge Boulders, waterfall, Flagstone Patio and fire pit area. 17ft Spruce trees, shrubs etc.. We made a few changes on the way, which Doug accommodated with no issues. Doug and crew are easy and positive to work with. The following summer we lost a couple of big trees which Doug agreed to replace immediately.
In May this year we start phase 2 ( Front yard) Much the same as Back yard, 27 huge boulders, curb work, pathways, Shrubs, large trees and Fencing.
People LOVE and always comment on our back yard . I would ABSOLUTELY recommend Doug and Natural Landscapes. Everyone we have recommended him to, are all really happy with the service they received.

Thanks for your kind words.It is a pleasure to work for you,we have a lot of laughs working
together even when we have stressfull decisions to make. I love how you are kind to all your trades people
and treat them with respect.It is refreshing to be part of. I will be sad when your project is finally
complete,but I'm sure you we find something new to work on once your house is complete. see you soon for
phase 2.
Doug

Landscaping Nightmare

Save yourself a lot of trouble and look elsewhere for your landscaping needs.
My neighbor and myself hired Doug to design and complete our landscaping work in 2014. We are still trying to get Doug to fix the defective work he did. Read on for the full Saga.
We gave Doug our landscaping budget, and paid him to do a complete design for our landscape. Doug came back with a design priced at 3 times our original budget (in case you think our original budget was unfeasible for the size of our lot, our neighbors budget was triple our original budget, and his design for theirs also came in 3 times their budget). After paying for design work completely out of line with our budget, Doug convinced us he could still work within our budget. He wouldn't be able to do the design he first presented, and wouldn't provide a new design, we would just have to trust him that he knew what he was doing (Doug would frequently respond with "trust me" when we would ask questions about the work, I've since learned that "trust me" means "I have no idea what I'm doing so I'm just going to wing it and hope it works").
For some reason we still hired Doug for the work. After waiting months past when he had initially committed to start the work, he finally showed up with his crew, too late in the year to complete the work, so our schedule ended up drawing out an additional year.
The work itself was shoddy. The cedar fence he installed blew over in the wind multiple times, the steps he installed were uneven, and one was even broken, the slopes he retained had large gaps where soil continues to spill out and looks ready to collapse at any time, and areas of sod are still missing.
We have learned to live with most of these defects, as the alternative of further dealings with Doug would be even more unpleasant. For some of the more major issues we have requested remediation, for the last year he has promised he will come by "next week" to take a look, but continues to make excuses for not showing up. When questioned about his promise to stand behind his work, he claims he does stand behind it, but apparently only as far as the 1 year warranty extends, and once he has put it off past that deadline, he's free and clear.

Thank you for your feedback. We pride ourselves on doing a excellent job and I know that the quality of our work can substantiate that. Unfortunately I do not recall getting any requests regarding deficiencies for work completed until after the warranty period. Please note that there is a 1 year warranty on all work completed. It is surprising to hear about something like this years after work has been completed. We did a design for the whole project including all the problem areas, so you would know what the total price would be to solve all the problems. We then decided on what work was most important and could be completed within your budget. We originally were hired by your neighbor and you realized that if you were to get your yard fixed it would need to done first or you would lose access to your yard. It was an extreme project with an extreme slope which definitely could have used a larger budget. We discussed what was important to you and what your budget was. We completed what you wanted within your budget and the remainder you were to complete on your own. We put your neighbors project on hold until we completed the work requested by you. We feel we went above and beyond to solve your immediate needs. We like to make sure all our customers are happy. If there is anything we can do to help you please contact us at 403-236-4636 or email at info@naturallandscapes.ca.

Paradise in Strathmore
Paradise in Strathmore
1 review Strathmore, AB

Our small piece of paradise

Thank you Doug and Team for our very own little paradise. Your expertise in designing our small front and backyard far exceeded our expectations as to what was possible . We so appreciated your quick response to the email sent and a design plan with in a week.What a terrific design you came up with!!! The dry riverbed in the front with the rocks, trees and plants was breathtaking. The comments from neighbours, friends and family were so positive . People driving by were slowing down to have a look. Coming from a Farm, you took in our concern for some privacy in the small backyard.

Thank you Doug and Team, for our own little piece of paradise. You exceeded our expectations as to what was possible for a small front and backyard. The phrase good things come in small packages is so true.Your response to my email was so fast. Within 5 days you came out ,had a look, & came up with a design plan.Some rain did play in my favour. We sure appreciated your expertise in design and knowledge of plants and trees. You asked for our input and then went to work. The dry river bed out front with rocks, trees and plants was awesome. Our neighbours comments were so positive and non stop.You created a backyard for us that included everything i desired with a patio, trees for privacy, plants and of course grass surrounded by a border for our special fur baby. She loves it. You completed the work in a timely fashion despite mother nature throwing rain , extreme heat and smoke your way. Thank you again, Highly recommend natural landscapes.

Hi Elizabeth,
It was an absolute pleasure working for you and we all appreciated your kindness with the cool drinks and
delicious sandwiches. You defintely have a gift of hospitality. I was sad to finish your project because I looked forward to working at your home everyday and I will miss playing with your puppy. Thanks for the kind words,I hope you get many enjoyable years from your garden.

Private User reviews Calgary, AB

Backyard landscaping

We had Doug draft up landscape plans for our front yard and backyard and he installed two garden beds in our backyard and made & installed 3 veggie boxes. I have never worked with a landscaper before however, any expectations I had were exceeded! Doug took my likes and dislikes and turned it into a better plan that I could have described myself. He as extremely considerate of our family's budget and needs. His staff who worked at our house were clean, polite, and went out of their way to check that we liked what they were doing. Many of the spaces were designed with my children in mind and they even asked my daughter's input on her favourite flower colours! I could not be more impressed with the process, and the final project and we've had nothing but compliments on everything. I would highly recommend Doug for any project and hope to have him back at our house at some point to finish our front yard!

Thank Youfor your Kind response,it was a pleasure working for you. How did your raised planter boxes work out?
We has a bountiful harvest of mixed squash that grew up our trellis. Everything seemed to grow better in our
raised gardens! Doug

Nancy in Toronto
Nancy in Toronto

Landscape front yard

Wanted a rugged design that would tolerate both shade and drought conditions. Doug drew a design for my approval prior to beginning the work & it was meticulously followed by his crew. They were there when they said they'd be & did a super job of cleaning up after themselves. Now my yard is the envy of the neighborhood. Beautiful!

Hi Nancy ,
It was a pleasure to work for you,we love to work with boulders and when all the plants grow in it will
look amazing. Thanks for choosing Natural Landscapes and enjoy your new garden.

Finlay in Calgary
Finlay in Calgary

Modern Front Yard Makeover

Doug’s creative skills quickly turned a mundane front yard into a modern masterpiece. Doug and his staff were friendly and professional at all times and executed the project per the plan, adding a couple of last minute improvements at no extra cost. I would highly Natural Landscapes if you’re in the market for a quality landscape contractor.

Hi Finley,
Congratulations on the new baby! Now your new garden will be easier to care for match well with the modern
feel of your home. It was great working for you.

debbie in High River
debbie in High River
1 review High River, AB

Mixed bag, disappointed with the finishing

I have used Doug twice before but on jobs that were limited in scope - collaborated on design and completed the hard scape - rock positioning and loam supply and grading. Very very happy with the results although aware that Doug is passionate but a little disorganized. The latest job was a big one - full landscaping for a new build. Overall the results are good but the areas that were very special to me, enough that I would sacrifice other things for them to meet our budget, were poorly handled. Doug starts off well and then gets pulled in many different directions on other jobs leaving inexperienced staff to handle some things that are beyond their skill sets. Really disappointed with how Doug handled some small items at the end that needed a rework. It tarnished all the good work he did. I would recommend Natural Landscapes but only with a cautionary addendum.

Since writing this review we have had more disappointments. And I would like to respond to Doug's response below. The initial problems we said we would handle ourselves because Doug told us we would have to wait until he had free time to do it which could have been weeks. More problems arose since then, erosion, more sinking of lawn, edging...we had to do a ton of remediation work. When we tried to contact Doug he refused to answer so all in all a very unprofessional manner of handling a job that went bad at the end.

Thanks for the feedback.you are 100% correct that the final details were not handled the way I would like. This was definetly a challenging project from start to finish. With the weather being horrible in April most contractors were behind right fromk the start. The concrete guys were finished a month later than we wanted to start so we had to take another project in the mean time. When you expressed your frustration with not having a finished yard I dropped everything, brought the whole crew over,working late several nights just to give you some
finished portions of your yard so you could feel like things were wrapping up. Towards the end of the project we had four thunderstorms in 4 days which made finishing the final grading in the front difficult because it wouldn't
dry out. When I said "if you could wait a week to let things dry out I will be happy to finish the final details..."your comment in frustration was' don't worry about it, we will finish the details ourselves.There are a lot of challenges in contracting including,meeting people schedules, budget constraints, weather etc.I feel like we went over and above to deliver a quality product in a timely fashion under difficult circumstances. I acknowledge your frustrations during the project ,and now that it is complete I hope you can enjoy your garden for many years to come.

Jen Bartlett in Calgary
Jen Bartlett in Calgary

Cranston Retreat

We hired Doug and his crew in 2016 to landscape our front yard. After we saw the results, we immediately hired them to do the backyard. We had some ideas of what we wanted, but Doug took those ideas to the next level!!! We were blown away, and still are, every time we step outside. We loved that they showed up when they said they were going to, and kept the time line promised. We were also very impressed at how they cleaned up every night before they left. We would highly recommend them to anyone we know. Doug and his team were amazing and we actually miss having them around and making lunches for them. Thanks Doug and team for all your hard work!!

Hi Jennifer, We had a blast working with you guys! All our staff appreciated your kindness, feeding house and
genuine hospitality. We were all sad to leave your place. I hope you get alot of enjoyment from your new yard.
Now you just have to keep George out of the pond so he doesn't track his muddy feet into the house.

More about Natural Landscapes Inc.

Doug Burgoyne had his start in the landscape industry with his maintenance company. To increase his technical skills Doug attended Old's College for three years and became a Journeyman Landscaper and Established the company Natural Landscapes. Now after 25 years in the industry Doug is best known for his extreme ...
Looking for Landscape Contractors & Designers pros in Calgary?