McWilliams Moving & Storage Ltd

Moving & Storage
712 The Kingsway Peterborough ON K9H 6W6
HomeStars  >  Moving & Storage in Peterborough  >  McWilliams Moving & Storage Ltd

Reviews for McWilliams Moving & Storage Ltd

mygrrls$1 in Waterloo
mygrrls$1 in Waterloo
1 review Waterloo, ON

What a nightmare

My experience with McWilliams Moving in Cambridge was a complete nightmare. It started out as would be expected, with a very nice gentleman who came to my home and took an estimate of what would be needed. The problems started on the day of the move when a very small truck arrived to move my 2000 sq. ft. home. The movers were shocked at how much stuff needed to be moved and indicated that the truck they brought was not nearly large enough to move our stuff.

They proceeded to order another vehicle and the 3 men started moving stuff out of my home. It took about 9 hours for them to completely empty my house onto the trucks. They didn't have any food for their lunches so I felt somewhat obligated to provide food to them as they didn't even really take any breaks.

The delivery of my contents had to be done the following day. The smartened up and sent an extra man to help with the off loading although it didn't help much and 8 hours later the trucks were finally offloaded.

The real problems started after that. Obviously the quote I had received was a complete underestimate and from $1500 my bill was now $2500. While they did give me some money back I don't feel that it was my responsibility to cover the additional costs since they were the ones that quoted inappropriately. But I paid anyway.

After the whirlwind of the 2 days I finally had a chance to check on the damage to my items. There were many large scratches and dents to my wood furniture, they broke my bbq, the movers dropped my compound mitre saw in front of my face, and they drove on our lawn and ripped a significant chunk out of it. After contacting them, they sent someone out to repair my furniture but have yet to repair any of the other damage.

After speaking to Mr. McWilliams today, he told me that my claim has been settled and that they are not responsible for any other repairs as they are my fault or that the items were broken before the move. I am disgusted by the response. He was neither kind or understanding and didn't even take the time to allow me to explain myself.

Think twice before hiring them. The customer service is atrocious.

Doug C in Peterborough
Doug C in Peterborough
1 review Peterborough, ON

Terrible move.

Absolutely terrible move.
Contractors put huge hole in our wall and left us to fix it.
They picked up my 911s two days late. When it arrived in Canada they had broken the key off in the ignition, run the battery dead and it was empty on gas. They put 247 mikel on it JOY riding !!
Our belongings arrived 10 days Late. TEN!
Driver said Late because they waited until they had a full truck to maximize profits.
Owner said we would get a large insurance claim ( 5K, it was a 23k move) and he would help as long as I paid in full.
Once I paid he wouldn’t return emails or phone calls. I got a couple hundred.
Without a doubt the most inefficient and greedy business I have ever dealt with. An embarrassment to the city of Peterbough

1 review Jasper, AB

I am not a demanding person who needs that much to keep me happy but ...

...this was the stand-out single worst customer service I have experienced on my 41 years on this fair planet:

* This company damaged our irreplaceable century home doorway on the way out, in front of our eyes (when I took pictures, which is the only reason they sent us a claims cheque, but for a mere $150 after originally suggesting to agree to what I thought was a modest $300 over the phone)

* we never got a firm answer on a date when our stuff would arrive - weeks after we moved cross-country, we got a call two days in advance from a different moving company we never heard of who claimed were in possession of our stuff and needed to deliver it on Christmas Eve (when we were not in town) The person swore at us and tried to lay a guilt trip on us, saying he would not be able to get home to his family for Christmas unless he could deliver our belongings

* we eventually got a different date, which was then cancelled and rebooked to two different dates, depending on who we talked to (at this point, we were dealing with at least three different companies) The movers who eventually showed up with half our stuff were very professional but seemed like they had hardly heard of McWilliams and didn't seem to have much co-ordination with them (I had to let them know we had yet to pay for the move and that this was their only chance to get an in-person COD from us)

* the other half of our belongings arrived a week later - part on the day promised (after two rebookings), and part a few days after that, unannounced with almost no time to prepare to be home

* on the way out of the property, the moving truck snagged a power line on our property, knocked out power to our drinking water well, and would have electrocuted the driver (possibly to death) had my brother-in-law not screamed at him to stay in his vehicle until he could turn the power off and move the live wire off his truck

In the end McWilliams rarely had a clue where our stuff was on any given day, who they had passed it off to, how they were dealing with us, what dates they were giving us (they often gave us dates that conflicted with ones we got before or after from the company actually moving our stuff) and almost never called back when they said they would.

I waited to write this review until we had successfully received all our belongings and paid them for fear of more mishaps

Good....effing..grief...

sbarclay in Toronto
sbarclay in Toronto
2 reviews Peterborough, ON

Fantastic move!

The initial quote to move my mom from her huge 4br home after 43 years was for 4 men for 10 hours. We knew it was going to be a long day and were prepared for it.
Mike and his crew arrived just before 8am with two trucks and were all so polite and professional. They cared for my mother's belongings (including many antiques) by wrapping everything very carefully and dis-assembling if necessary. They had the trucks fully loaded in 2.5 hours!
By 1:30pm (the bill was for 5.5 hours), everything was moved in and re-assembled in the new condo. They were happy to re-arrange and reorganize as we tried out a few things with the furniture too.
24 hours after moving in, my mom feels entirely at home in her new place. Thank-you McWilliams for making the transition that much easier.

1 review Whitchurch-Stouffville, ON

Poor management!

This company has a "survey" scheduled prior to the actual moving. The survey was conducted by a senior staff member, who then send a quote including the details of the services required for the entire move. It sounds a great idea.

However, during the move, a manager would walk in and commanding what the moving crew should do and what they shouldn't. The end result was, they didn't complete our move, in fact far from it. We had to hire another truck on another day.

It's truly disappointing that the same company who sent the "survey" staff would not take the survey quote into consideration at all (which should be seen as a contract!).

The company's poor management suffers from not hiring right kind of personality - the manager who walked in at the moving site even showed his arrogance, which was truly shocking!
Again, a total disappointment!

krista in North York
krista in North York
1 review Castleton, ON

moving

The movers help to move a gentleman that I look after to Montreal this past week they sent three of the nicest gentlemen to do the packing and loading. They showed a lot of respect and patience with this gentleman. They did a wonderful job at this end and I received a phone call from the gentleman after they had unloaded in Montreal, he told me he was very happy with their service at the other end and that they even stayed A little later and help him with some unexpected little jobs that he was unable to do him self. The only unfortunate part was that the weight was underestimated so the
quote was off. My only suggestion is that
when quoting they should always try to go on the higher side of things so that
customers are not disappointed. But I will definitely be recommending McWilliams movers to others

Denise S from Brampton
Denise S from Brampton

Move

My 80 year old parents were moving out of their condo to a home up north. They were very nervous about the whole process. The crew from McWilliams was Great! They were very efficient and careful as well as kind and respectful to my parents about their concerns. Absolutely ZERO damage and less than quoted - my parents were thrilled with the perfect move!

Chris Westlake from Cambridge
Chris Westlake from Cambridge
1 review Cambridge, ON

Move

Under quoted and overcharged by $2500...movers were great and very respectful. When we paid quoted price, company wants more, threatening to sue and put lean on our house. Be aware! what you are quoted is not what you will be charged! Very disappointed in this company.

frank@East End
F. K.
3 reviews Peterborough, ON

moving household goods

Three of the most pleasant and thoughtfull moving men we have ever met.They also went to the storage unit to pick up stuff.All this was to move us from Toronto to Peterborough!.PLUS they give Air Miles.What more do you want? even the price was LESS than the quote.This experience was so well planned by McWilliams that the whole move was totally painless.This outfit really knows their stuff.

More about McWilliams Moving & Storage Ltd

McWilliams Moving & Storage Ltd. is a member of Mayflower Canada and a top quality award winning mover serving all points in Canada & the U. S. A. McWilliams specializes in Corporate relocations, Residnetial Household moves, commercial and High Value product delivery.