Invisible Tuckpointing

Reviews for Invisible Tuckpointing

Stefan and Alex from Toronto
Stefan and Alex from Toronto

Repointing outside brick

The brick on our 130-year-old home needed to be repointed and repaired in places. I called Mario after speaking with a prominent contractor who specializes in restoring Victorian homes in Cabbagetown, as well as reading reviews of his work (and a recommendation) by the Cabbagetown Preservation Society. We were told he was the best in the city and a true artist. He proved that with the incredible work on our house. Inside of a week, our entire front face of our house was brought back to life - replacing individual bricks that were cracked or beyond repair, refinishing (and colour-matching) bricks that were crumbling, all while carefully colour-matching the mortar to match the existing, original mix. He and his partner are meticulous artists and the house now has a time-kissed look. Mario showed up exactly when he said he would and was incredibly clean and conscientious of our plants/gardens. They even washed the windows on the front of our house when the job was complete. If you're looking for a cheap and quick patch job, Invisible is not the company for you. If you care about restoring and preserving the look of your house for generations to come, do yourself a favour and speak to Mario. A true artist, deserving of a very sincere 10 rating. Highly recommended!
P.S. We reviewed ratings on Homestars before signing the contract with Invisible. The one (lone!) negative rating here was obviously an outlier, and not at all a factor in our thinking. You can't please cranks - and from the long list of positive reviews, and now our own experience, we can't recommend Invisible Tuckpointing Ltd. highly enough.

Stefan and Alex,

You are the quintessential 'Invisible Tuckpointng' customers.

You knew exactly what you wanted: a company that would match the existing bricks and mortar exactly.

When you searched the web and couldn't find that company, you decided to walk through city neighborhoods until you found it!

I'm glad we connected. Sandy and I loved you guys (and also the cat! :-)

JF from Toronto
JF from Toronto

Tuckpointing, Brick Staining

Mario is completely dedicated to his work. He kept to the schedule he provided and was extremely tidy despite this somewhat messy work. He is meticulous and one might characterize him as an artist in his profession. Our house has never looked better.

Hi JF,

From the moment we met back in 2008, I've enjoyed your sense of humour, which you've made liberal use of throughout the relatively large project we did for you and your wife at that time. I am glad to have been able to be a service once again.

ray hanley from Toronto
ray hanley from Toronto
1 review Old Toronto, ON

brick repair

Mario is a consummate professional. The work began and was completed exactly as promised. The restoration of the brick work on our Victorian Town Home exceeded our expectations. You cannot tell which bricks Mario restored and which bricks are original. At the end of each work day the entire job site was completely clean. The price for the work was more than competitive. I am a very demanding customer to work for. My expectations have been labeled unrealistic by more than one contractor over the years. Of any contractor I have ever dealt with Mario's attention to detail is second to none. He is more of an artisan than a brick layer.

Ray you were great to deal with. You are a class act all the way. I cannot imagine you coming across as too demanding unless the contractor wasn't competent enough or sufficiently customer-oriented.

Downtown in Toronto
Downtown in Toronto
27 reviews TORONTO, ON

So-so on heritage tuckpointing

I used Invisible Tuckpointing on my 120-year-old house on recommendation from the city's heritage preservation board. I should have been suspicious when Mario was always available, sending me text messages saying he had time again. He says he used to have year-long backlogs, but no longer. I've since discovered some of the city's heritage architects won't use him because of his reliance on brick patches. He was quick to criticize my neighbour's wall as 'cement' mortar, but after quoting me a 'lime-based mortar' started mixing in good quantities of cement himself. Mario is one of those contractors that believes he is always right, but the whole thing did not look or feel right. The photo shows how the brick patching turned out (not great)... Mario will go to great lengths to explain, in his scholarly way, how everything he does is perfect, but I don't agree and apparently others don't either. Think twice before engaging this company.

Review has 1 previous version

He didn't agree with my proposed method to restore his house.
In his words, he had thought me to be an artisan only to "discover" that I wasn't.
At that point all he wanted to do was to abort the contract. We were a little over the halfway point.
All the preparation work of removing the old mortar had been done by then and what was left was to apply the new mortar. The contention was about what the ingredients that comprised the replacement mortar should have been.
When I provided several documents that substantiated the rationale of my approach, he rejected them all.
It didn't matter that I had remained courteous, that I hadn't asserted my rightness and that I had expressed a willingness to work with him to reach an agreement.
He simply wanted out of the deal. He was completely shut off in terms of exploring any other option.
My word-for-word response at that very moment was: "Fair enough, I will take full responsibility for obviously having failed to properly communicate what I was going to do, and so I'll pack and leave and you owe me nothing".
I don't know about you, but I have never met anyone else in my life who would have said what I have told him.
He didn't reflect this fact in his review at all; instead he gave me a 2 out of 10 and he even made slanderous comments about me to boot.
He did pay me something on his own accord, to his credit; however, I got paid a fraction of what he owed me for the work up to that point, not to mention that I would have had the right to a breach-of-contract settlement should I have insisted on it and pursued it. I took the high road.
It should be noted that the brick patch he refers to wasn't finished. He fails to mention that I had sourced out a reclaimed brick that was close to the original units on his house, but he didn't like it. He told me he was the most picky individual I would ever meet in my life.
The job has since been completed by someone else and, from what I can see from looking at it from the street, it certainly doesn't look better than the result I would have achieved. The part that was left to be performed was the "gravy" portion of the contract; and so he's probably saved himself a chunk of cash in the process.

Rob Howe from Old Toronto
Rob Howe from Old Toronto
2 reviews Old Toronto, ON

Brick Restoration and repointing

Invisible Tuckpointing undertook a brick restoration on my Victorian Cabbagetown house. The brick and pointing was originally in poor shape, with major cracks and gaps. The work and service was excellent. Mario walked me through every step of the process. The finished product is beautiful, with replaced and rebuilt brick and new pointing. Excellent colour match. No problems with the work after two winters. Highly recommended.

We did two large jobs for you and I want to thank you for that.

In addition, it was very rewarding emotionally for me to restore your house, as it has a beautiful architecture, and all too often homeowners don't go to the extent that you've gone to bring back the exterior of their houses to former glory.

And you were fantastic to work for.

L. Maniscole from Toronto
L. Maniscole from Toronto

Historic brick and mortar restoration

Mario and Sandy were consistently professional, knowledgeable and highly skilled in restoring my Cabbagetown house facade. They met every request and more, respecting the original character of the bricks, mortar and rebuilding the brick foundation. They cleaned the site daily and were careful not to damage any landscaping. I am thrilled with the result.

You were a pleasure to get along with and you were so appreciative.

I'm still very fond of having worked on your house and I get reminded every time I drive in front of it.

We still cherish the piece of art that you were kind enough to give us. Thanks again.

Alison
Alison

Restoration : Masonry, Tuckponting, Heritage House, built 1888

Mario Cantin is in my opinion the best person to restore your heritage masonry. He is kind, caring and a consumate professional. He does his research and works to achieve what the Homeowner wants and needs. He actually does a "custom" job --- he finds the masonry adaptation that best suites your home. He came recommended to me by Heritage Preservations Services of Toronto as well as several of my neighbours in the East Annex. I walked around and looked at their houses --- very good work and the neighbours raved about him. He uses several tints to match the mortar and a variety of old techniques to match the bricks. You arrive back every night to a spotlessly clean work zone, and he works with your neighbours to limit disruption, noise, dust etc. I must confess I was moved to tears (of joy) when the completion of the restoration of our Victorian home was revealed to me. The work is beautiful ---- it exceeded my expectations. So much so I engaged Mario Cantin again this past month to restore the side and back of the house : again a wonderful experience. I highly recommend Mario Cantin and his team at Invisible Tuckpointing. They are a 12 out of 10!!

Alison, now weren't you such a sweetheart!

You are a sensitive, beautiful soul.

The kind of spontaneous, honest reaction you had to our work is why I still love this business.

I consider you and your husband as friends.

Restoration of brick and stone on Victorian heritage houses

Mario restored the brick and stone on multiple houses on Draper Street and also re-pointed them using limestone mortar. The houses were completely transformed by this work and remain visible for all to see. Also, Mario's work ethic and interaction with customers was excellent. He provided accurate estimates of the duration of work and always executed on time. Mario has been a very important part of the recent transformation of Draper Street into a beautiful historic enclave.

You efforts and the initiative you lead to bring a large segment of Draper Street to agree to undertake a restoration is commendable.

That street looks different because of you.

It was such a pleasure to get to know you and your wife.

Dean in Toronto
Dean in Toronto

Brick restoration/Tuckpointing

Mario is a professional. He provided a quotation, set a date, turned up on time, and completed the work exactly as promised. Quality of workmanship was exceptional. My level of satisfaction led to another major project at a seperate property .. where we had exactly the same experience.

I have a lot of respect for you Dean, the type of career your lead, how you carry negotiations while remaining very fair, etc.

Dealing with you was exceptional.

I also realize that if I hadn't delivered, you probably would have chewed my head off, ha ha ha!

More about Invisible Tuckpointing

We specialize in aesthetically pleasing brickwork restoration of vintage brick buildings using compatible materials. The goal is to blend the repairs so well, they become invisible. We also aim at creating near-perfect, glitch-free experiences so as to have elated customers as a result.
Looking for Tuck Pointing pros in Toronto?