Invisible Tuckpointing

Reviews for Invisible Tuckpointing

Kristin in Toronto
Kristin in Toronto

Damaged Brick & Mortar Repair & Replacement

We are very happy with the work Mario & Sandy did repairing the areas of damaged brick and mortar around the foundation, along the roof line and at a few other spots on the walls of our 1907 Annex home this spring. They did a superb job blending in the new work with the original brickwork. We love that our historic home has lasted so well over the years and we are so pleased to have found Mario with his depth of knowledge about historic masonry to do the restoration work necessary.

I should add, Mario demonstrated good up-to-date safety practices for working-at-heights and Mario and Sandy were pleasant to have around while they did the work and left the work-site very clean after each workday. We also felt lucky they were so comfortable with and tolerant of both our dog and the neighbour's dog (when they had to access the neighbour's yard for some of the work). I would strongly recommend them to anyone who values good craftsmanship and a safe work-site.

Hi Kristin, Sandy and I have very much enjoyed bringing back your beautiful vintage home to her former self in the areas that we've addressed; and both you and your husband were a pleasure to deal with. Thank you.

liang  in Toronto
liang in Toronto

Chimney Repair on my Victorian house in the old cabbage town

The bricks on my chimneys were loose. This caused concerns of loose bricks falling down from roof. I came to know Mario and his work because he restored our family home in the old cabbage town. That was extensive work and he did a great job to make the house look beautiful again. That's why I hired him to repair my chimneys.

They Chimneys are about 7 feet above the roof shingles, and the roof is about 35-40 feet above the ground. Very difficult to access and to work around. It took him 2 days to properly set up the working platform. and over 3 days to do the repair.

Before began his job, Mario explains to me the steps that he would take to do the job, including setups, safety, and some technical aspects of the ancient chimneys.

As he was removing the loose bricks, he noticed more bricks need to be removed, hence rebuild even more. He did it without extra cost to me. very good gesture.

Overall, this is a job well-planned and well-done. I would recommend him to anyone with brick works.

Liang, it was a pleasure getting to know you and performing this challenging project for you, which certainly kept me on my toes safety-wise. I appreciate all the great conversations we've had and you giving me the opportunity to do more work within your family.

Tuckpointing

Hello everyone,

Over the course of the Summer, I spent 3 months educating myself on the masonry trade in Toronto as well as requesting multiple quotes for tuckpointing on my 100+ year old home. I quickly discovered that there was a rather large gap in pricing, quality and service between the companies that perform tuckpointing services. My home possessed varying shades of coloured mortar that was significantly degraded particularly on one side of the house. Mario from Invisible Tuckpointing was the only person to step forward and state that he would match the coloured mortar of the house. Moreover, the duration of the job stretched for 2 weeks vs. the 4 days that I was quoted by all the remaining companies. In the end, I am absolutely delighted that I chose Invisible Tuckpointing for the following reasons:

1. Perfect colour matching between old and new mortar. The work is truly "invisble" to the eye
2. Sandy has "Michelangelo hands" and provided perfect tuckpointing
3. Mortar grinding was precise and Mario's cleanup was timely and neat
4. All activities were safely performed with strong sensitivities to my neighbours and the plethora of vehicles that made the job very challenging
5. Mario was meticulous and examined every square inch of the house while providing key advice
6. Went above and beyond by using acid to soften the look of rough bricks and a plethora of tints to match mortar and brick colour imperfections. In fact, Mario changed the new mortar colour up to 12 times to match the old mortar
7. Very professional and worked long hours and weekends to complete the job

In my opinion, Mario is truly an artist and his skills are unparalleled. He brings a value proposition to the table which goes far beyond just tuckpointing. For example, Mario spent a significant amount of time remedying damaged and broken bricks or mortar imperfections while making everything look perfect. It truly felt like Mario treated my home as his home, and this showed through his unbelievable attention to detail which you will rarely find in any trade.

Mario and Sandy did a superb job on my home, yet I find the one negative review on Homestars to be truly puzzling and an outlier considering my most recent experience. In fact, the brick and mortar on my home looks harmonious and brings a smile to my face every time I look at it. The job was so well done, that Mario was inundated with estimate requests from my neighbours and I still have people knocking on my door requesting Mario's contact details. I would not hesitate to recommend Invisible Tuckpointing to all my friends and family. Thank you Mario and Sandy for the wonderful job.

Peter

Thank you Peter. I have very much enjoyed having met you and working for you. I've felt we connected on many levels, for example our mutual interest in the Technology Sector, and many other things. Thank you for the business and for your appreciation of the effort we put in to your project. This was a great experience.

Agata in Summerhill
Agata in Summerhill

Edwardian brick home repointing

I am very happy with the work that Invisible Tuckpointing did on our brick home. We had a problem with different coloured mortars that had been poorly applied in a large number of areas. Our home is over 100-years-old and I was concerned about hiring a mason who would make the brick and mortar look new. I like the character and age of my Edwardian home and wanted the repointing to reflect that. Mario and Sandy gave me exactly that and more: beautiful, careful, high quality workmanship that restored and enhanced the look of my home. The mortar now looks unified and tidy and suits the age of the brick. Mario selected a mortar color that was very close to what the original mortar color would have been. He also managed to impressively fix a number of problem areas on the bricks themselves. Before we selected Invisible Tuckpointing, we looked at the homes several tuckpointing companies had done, and the quality of Mario’s work was far beyond what anyone else was doing. Invisible did cost more than the other companies we received quotes from but, in this case, you get what you pay for and it was well worth it. They were reliable, professional, and took great pride in their excellent work. I would highly recommend them.

Thank you very much Agata. It was a pleasure dealing with you.

The masonry trade in Toronto, along with many other business sectors, is undergoing a process of deflationary economics; which means it's a buyer's market at the moment. It therefore makes sense that you were careful when reviewing all the options for this project, as there would have been a wider spread than previously between my price and the "general market".

There are reasons why I charge what I charge, and I am delighted that you've opted for the result that I produce. I always feel a sense of responsibility to deliver at a high-level and I keep my own feet to the fire, as you now know.

It means a lot to me that you were happy with the overall experience.

Again, thank you.

Jason E from Toronto
Jason E from Toronto

Minor Brick Re-Pointing and Doorway Opening Restoration

As an engineer who often inspects buildings (many with awful looking masonry repairs) and a respect for maintaining century old construction, I was very hesitant to hire just any mason to undertake repairs to my 100+ year old solid brick home. After researching many masons who specialize in historic and heritage construction, Mario (the owner) of Invisible Tuckpointing was very quick to meet, review my walls, and provide a fee proposal. Residential work appeared to be too small-scale for most other masons who specialize in historic and heritage construction; most of whom did not even return requests for quotes. Invisible Tuckpointing's quote included repairing all settlement cracks and failed mortar joints.
Mario's attention to detail and perfectionism is unmatched for a contractor, since in my professional experience, most contractors simply "don't care". As an owner-operated business, Mario displayed more concern for the finished product than I.
During the course of the work, under my own initiative, a request to expand the scope of work was made. Mario provided a fair and reasonable quote for the additional work. This work involved replacing bricks that had been significantly damaged when the previous owner had a patio door opening created, where one did not originally exist. The bricks to either side of the door had been poorly cut and were parged over. Horrendous!
Since my bricks (a rare cast concrete as opposed to a more common fired clay) were of an unusual size and a unique texture, it was difficult to source replacement units. Mario found a brick imported form Europe, which had similar dimensions. The final product, while not an "exact" colour and texture match, looks great. It surpassed my expectations, which are realistic based on my profession. Invisible Tuckpointing even rebuilt some bricks at the door jamb that could not be replaced.
Refer to attached photos for the "before", "during" and "after" of the door opening restoration.
We are very pleased with the outcome and intend to hire Invisible Tuckpoiting back to complete another masonry job later in the season.

You were great to work for. The communication between us was always fluid and felt very natural to me. I've also enjoyed our casual conversations and your general disposition as a person. It was a pleasure meeting your wife as well. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to inject back some character into this unique type of brickwork.

Tegwaan in Vaughan
Tegwaan in Vaughan

Brick Facade Restoration - Heritage Building

I searched for a couple of years to find a brick professional I felt comfortable with and was an "Old Style Craftsman" who took deep pride in his/her profession. My home is one of the oldest in the City and the brickwork had become seriously damaged after 150 years of battling the elements and previous sandblasting efforts. The brick was powdering in numerous spots. After being disappointed a few times by 'non-shows', Mario at Invisible Tuck Pointing was recommended to me by a couple of Cabbagetown residents who had used his services on both larger and smaller jobs. Mario gave me several addresses to check on his previous work, and some of the addresses his competitors had worked on. I visited them all, and negotiated a contract with Mario.
Mario and his partner showed up exactly as promised, but actually finished the job almost a week sooner than they had promised and it was done professionally and with minimum disruption to myself or my co-joined neighbours. Mario worked meticulously, putting in incredibly long hours to beat the onset of winter weather, but still took the time to show me the exact formulas and techniques he was using, which he had researched in a 110 year-old English bricklayer's manual. He also gave me advice on other repairs which I intended doing which were honestly given, with no thought of him benefiting from the other (non-brick) refurbishments still to be required. He also volunteered to come back after the doors and windows were replaced, to do any touch-ups that may be required to the brickwork thereafter.
In my opinion my house looks better after Mario finished than it probably looked when it was new, and I am extremely satisfied with the result and it has prompted me to move forward on other repairs needed to match the great 'new' brickwork. I would have NO HESITATION in recommending Mario in spite of what one complainer wrote below (who I suspect was just trying to renegotiate the price after the fact!)

Both you and your lovely lady were a pleasure to be around. We've also loved the neighborhood's good vibes. Furthermore, your sense of humour and wit were appreciated; I've even been borrowing some of your lines. Lastly, it wasn't lost on me that you are genuinely passionate about your home and that you don't pay lip service to getting it restored to its former glory. That fact has motivated me to do my utmost best to try and deliver a remarkable result that was a the top end of my capabilities. I've very much enjoyed getting to know the both of you.

Khannas in Toronto
Khannas in Toronto

Tuck pointing

We hired Mario to fix the cracks in our exterior brick wall. Prior to hiring him I got some cheaper quotes but all the people said that they wouldn't be able to match the cement colour exactly. We wanted to maintain the beauty of our home so we were specific about hiring someone who wouldn't do a patchy job. Mario came in confident about his workmanship and he certainly delivered on his promise. We are very happy with the work that was completed. He is very honest and hardworking. All the work was completed according to the timeline that was provided. While working Mario also pointed out some other areas of our home that needed repairs. He wouldn't have benefitted from sharing that knowledge but he did that from the goodness of his heart. My husband and I are very pleased with the work that Invisible Tuck Pointing did and would highly recommend him to everyone.

It was a real pleasure working for you and getting to know you, your husband, your kids and your mom. You provided a welcoming, relaxed and laidback atmosphere for us to work in, and I cannot tell enough about how we've appreciated that. Even though the weather was really hot, it was refreshing working on your property :-)

Michael M from Toronto
Michael M from Toronto

Tuckpointing

I spent 10 years looking for the right tuckpointer and finally found it in Mario and his crew. His work lives up to the name ‘invisible tuckpointing’ as he can very closely match the colour and texture of the mortar so it’s hard to notice old from new. He can also die the bricks to refresh ugly work that was done before where mortar got onto the bricks. He removed all the previous patchy work which was the right way as the house is now restored to its original look. His crew is very precise and they are both ‘artists’ in my opinion. I will recommend him again going forward.

Hi Michael,

Your reaction means a lot to me. It was a pleasure dealing with you.

Have a great summer.

Best,
Mario

Borland Sackville street, Cabbagetown
Borland Sackville street, Cabbagetown

Brick Restorartion/Tuckpointing on Heritage House

We were very satisfied with the work Mario did. It has totally transformed the look of the house for the better, and it is not possible to tell the original bricks from the newly installed ones
Mario always turned up at the arranged time, and left the work site extremely clean each evening.
We wish him well with his future projects, and would be more than happy to be used as a reference.

Hi, thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure to work for the both of you and making the façade of your house get back to its Victorian self.

Clare from Toronto
Clare from Toronto

Tuck pointing and brick repair

After much research, I finally found Invisible Tuckpointing, and it was well worth the search. My home looks fantastic with the help of Mario's professional and artistic skills. Mario was dedicated, meticulous and knowledgeable. He removed a wall and repaired a column that now look as if they were never in disrepair. He carefully matched the mortar colour and applied it so that you can't see where he worked - it truly is invisible. One of my main concerns was the patchy look that older houses get where you can see where repairs are done - Mario has outdone himself - my home now has a consistent and spectacular cohesive feel to it. Thank you Mario and Sandy for the great results.

Thank you Clare.

I have very much enjoyed our interaction. Your emotional response to the final result was very heart warming.

You were a pleasure to work with.

More about Invisible Tuckpointing

We specialize in aesthetically pleasing brickwork restoration of vintage brick buildings using compatible materials. The goal is to blend the repairs so well, they become invisible. We also aim at creating near-perfect, glitch-free experiences so as to have elated customers as a result.