HomeStars  >  Builders in Calgary  >  Shane Homes Limited

Reviews for Shane Homes Limited

Khushkaran mangat in Calgary
Khushkaran mangat in Calgary

Huge Furnce problem.

Furnce blowing cold air they put in cheap Furnce didn’t work properly .Shane home didn’t done anything I spoke to other Furnce companies every one said that Furnce has only one stage Furnce they can’t do anything need new Furnce to solve the problem that cost me almost 5,500 .They are unprofessional care less not honest they didn’t stand up what they said.Shane home uses cheap quality materials I spend 50,000 upgrades . I am not happy with their service and their materials not recommended.

Bernadette demetrioff in Prince George
Bernadette demetrioff in Prince George

Home build

A major issue we are experiencing is a water leak in our basement from the foundation wall. We started seeing water appear in our basement approximately 3 years ago and it became progressively worse as time went on. Every time it rains water comes into our basement like in the image below. Very frustrated cause we called Shane about this and they didn return our call.
Skylight leak in Our bonus room (is so cold in winter we can't sit in the room) stipple constantly falls from ceiling onto my tv
The bath tub was damaged before we even moved in : big crack (photo below)
Our furnace was badely damaged before we even moved into our home and the door doesn't even close nor stay on (photo below)
Our floor creeks and makes noises even when I'm not walking in that area (caused tile to come loose and grout to crack: (photo below)
Our pipe just burst (photo below)
Our driveway concrete is dipped in the middle
allowing cold air to blow in from the seal
The very worst part is the stairs ( take a look at the photo) it is not built to code: look at the glue and wood shims that were added" how did the inspector miss that
THe worst part is that they didn't even care to fix one thing

Private User reviews Calgary, AB

Buy from Shane Homes if you want to be taken for a ride because all they care about is your money from the moment you walk in

We have owned our home for 6 months now and have had issues since day one. We were guaranteed to customize our home to however we liked and we had the drawings approved and everything was wonderful. When it came to the actual building, they told us it was not possible and there was nothing we could do about it. Until we continuously escalated the matter to management they finally decided to accommodate us for something they already signed off on and promised.

After a couple days of moving in, we realized that the layout for the door was not corrected and was causing a dent on our fridge. We took off the door knob and brought this to their attention, the issue was mentioned during our final walk through that it needed to be corrected. Problem was not corrected and we moved in. No response for 3 months even though we constantly asked and called for an update. Finally, during our 3 month walk through (which was 1 month late) the technician came in and we brought the issue back to life once more. After 2 months of getting the parts in, we finally had a technician come back to fix the door.

The first week we moved in, a City of Calgary inspector came in gave us a notice that we were illegally living in our home because it had not passed the final inspection due to the smoke detector and the furnace. I later find out that we were pushed to take possession early because Shane Homes wanted to meet their year end numbers. What kind of company jeopardizes people's lives because they want to meet year end?

Now, this is our first winter, and we have found a wet spot in the corner of our master bed room, away from the ensuite. We always turn the fan on when we shower and we even wipe our windows so that the condensation does not ruin walls. We called and spoke with the technician and they gave us an excuse saying we did not turn on the fan and turn down our humidity. I called him on this bluff because as soon as it was below 0 we turned our humidity down to 5 (which is below what is required). He promised that a technician will come in to take a look because it is still within our 1 year warranty, but instead I got an ignorant email from their office saying that they were going to do nothing about it because we caused heavy humidity within our home. We brought a friend that is a build in to ask for their expert advice and they said this is due to the wax panel being misplaced.

We are so shocked and frustrated, we have no words to describe what a painful experience this has been. Sadly, we have already made this mistake and hope that this will help any future buyers want to purchase a home from this horrible company.

Syed in Calgary
Syed in Calgary

Shane Price Grantee ( Just a joke )

I am building my house in Redstone Calgary, AB with Shane Homes.
In the beginning I was very happy but I don't like Shane home any more.
Shane homes gives you price grantee but I found it is just a joke.

I talked to Area Manager up to the president but no one try to take any action everyone is trying to pass the time.

My price would be $406036 for a 1554 SQf house ( before extension and upgrade)

Now a days the price of the same model hose on the same lot (1554SQF) is only $ 380000 but they are not giving me price difference.

They just trying to explain me the house base price is still the same.

First of all the Lot price never changes according to the builder.

If lot price remain same how come new customer paying less amount then what I will pay for same model of house in the same area and same home next to me.

I have already paid 5% to builder.

I don't know what else I can do to get this resolved.

Please advise me....

A Redstone customer (Calgary, AB)

We are very sorry for the inconvenience and frustration that you are experiencing. The people you are talking to off line are the best people to continue to discuss your concern with.

Private User reviews Calgary, AB

New home in Nolan Hill in Calgary

Assisted Review

I wanted to take a moment to share my Shane experience with you. This is the first home I have built with my husband so naturally, this was a very exciting and stressful (in a positive way- sort of) experience for us. I have built other homes with other builders but my experience has never been like the one I had with Shane Homes. While I give credit to the enterprise that is Shane Homes, I feel the need to mention a few names. First and foremost, I must mention Jeff Luif. He was our sales representative and from the very first interaction I found him to be competent, knowledgeable and helpful. He not only answered all of our silly questions but he was prompt in doing so. He was helpful in giving us feedback and additional ideas that made our house reach its full potential. He was diligent in helping us find the perfect lot, took great care in explaining protocols and processes, and helped us navigate the obstacles we sometimes encountered. He dealt with our frustration and endless visits to the show home and always made time to accommodate us. He was there on the day of possession and very often attended at our home in the various stages of development to keep an eye on things. We are truly grateful for all his help.

Next, I want to mention José Silva. While we only met José towards the tail end of the entire process during our walkthrough, his service and commitment to us was profound. I found him to be meticulous in his overall inspection of the home and I observed that he really had an eye for detail. He quite literally went over every inch of the house with me and marked down all the deficiencies I noticed in the home and committed to having the issues addressed at the time of possession. He was thorough and ensured that I was fully aware of how to change/remove the glass windows, adjust the temperature and pressure of the water, reset breakers and so on. He also gave me extensive advice on how to do a proper clean-up of the home (for example the use of dap, xylene and other household chemicals). He also took the time to show me the various paints left behind and which paint was to be used on which part of the home, if need be in the future. José was always very professional in his interactions with me and prompt in addressing my concerns. He was quite knowledgeable and was able to fix many of the issues in the home in one visit to ensure that our schedules were not heavily impacted by the repairs that needed to take place. On the day of possession, he once more did a thorough walkthrough and went over all the previous deficiencies and further addressed the new ones. In my opinion, he went over and above his duties to ensure that I was happy with the home and committed to ensuring that the issues were addressed. Even a few days post-possession, he came to the home to help me connect my dishwasher to the waterline when I discovered that it had not been done. Although the staff installing the appliances should have done it, he came nonetheless and helped me immediately. Once more, we are so grateful for all of his help as he really made our possession a positive experience. We truly felt that he was a sincere person and appreciate his follow-up.

I also want to thanks Nels and Donn for all of their help and hard work as well.

Maggie and Dale from Airdrie
Maggie and Dale from Airdrie

New Home in Hillcrest in Airdrie

Assisted Review

Good afternoon – my husband and I just wanted to say how happy we were with the excellent service Jeff Brodowski provided in the building of our new house in Hillcrest in Airdrie.

Jeff was knowledgeable, helpful and really “knew his stuff” in terms of design and planning as our house is a complete custom build (we win the garage wars as our attached garage is 850 sq ft with room for a car lift to turn it into a quad garage). This is the fifth house we have built and the second in Airdrie, and Jeff is by far the best sales person we have dealt with over the years. This is the first time I have never met the site super until we actually took possession of the house – Jeff made the building process so smooth that I think my husband met Nessir once during the whole process.

Our new house is fabulous as we are on the highest point in Hillcrest (and apparently in Airdrie) and it is like living in a tree house as the views are incredible. Sitting at the kitchen table all you see is blue skies and clouds making it seem like the house is “floating” through the air.

We are very happen with the service Jeff provided and the excellent home that Shane built for us.

airdrie homeowner
airdrie homeowner

New home

Built our house 8 years ago. Approximately 2 years ago tried to get warranty coverage for kitchen counters as color coming off and was told service provider no longer in service. Had picked counters through design center. Toilet tank broke within five years. Replaced two toilets due to cheapness and because handles were discolored. Bathtub drainage ring corroded. Paid a premium for house so expected better product. Flooring was replaced under warranty through service provider Siding has been replaced under warranty through siding company. Floors squeak and very little/if any insulation between walls. This is our 3rd build. 1st build with Shane, worst experience

homebuyer from Calgary
homebuyer from Calgary

Project

I think I need to let other home buyers know our experience with Shane Homes Ltd. My wife and I decided to build our brand new house with Shane Homes. After chosen the floor plan, exterior and interior design, the cost of building our house is more than $590,000. we thought we would receive good customer care throughout the entire process. However, we found out our kitchen cabinet was not what we were given in their design center. In the cabinet selection sheet, it was stated as Oak. When we were trying to pick hardwood floor, kitchen countertop, hard railing, tiles... the designer always pulled out the Maple cabinet with the same wood stain. This led us to choose maple wood species for our hardwood floor, hand railing, mantel. This makes our kitchen and living room inconsistent. The wood stain colour will be inconsistent too because the same wood stain on Oak shows darker than the one on Maple. When we tried to solve this problem with them, they just refused to help us. They kept telling us that once cabinet selection sheet signed off, there was nothing they can do for us. I think they should take responsible for showing the wrong cabinet , and not raising problems for us when we did interior design for other items(floor, hand railing, etc) They just covered each other and let their clients unhappy and suffer. We paid $590,000+ and received such unprofessional service. I think about every day I wake up and see my kitchen and don't like it. This will stay with me for long time... I think their goal is TO MAXIMIZE their profit rather than helping people to build the house they want. Please avoid Shane Homes if possible.

Wendy & Ben from Calgary
Wendy & Ben from Calgary
1 review Airdrie, AB

Bought a new home in Hillcrest

Assisted Review

The whole experience was easy. You trusted them. You were always welcome.

Our Area Manager, Jeff, told us, "Wendy, you can have anything you want, we just have to work out how we're going to do it." We felt Jeff was genuinely interested in what we wanted and were doing. We were given hard hats and we could visit our home while it was under construction after we signed in at the show home. We didn't feel like we were imposing on him or making too many changes. It was just a very very easy process.

More about Shane Homes Limited

The Shane Homes Group of Companies is an award winning home builder and residential community developer in Calgary and Airdrie. With a diverse product line ranging from condominiums and street towns, to duplexes and single family homes, Shane Homes continues to deliver innovative design, superior craftsmanship and exceptional customer service.

The Calgary based company founded in 1979 has built a legacy of excellence upon the foundation of a strong belief in family, home and the community as set in place by its founder, Cal Wenzel. This strong belief continues to be carried on through the generations and marks Shane Homes among the finest homebuilders in Canada.
Shane Homes Group of Companies has three core business units: Shane Homes, Shane Multi-Family and Shane Communities. Learn more at: www.shanehomes.com