Excel Homes

Reviews for Excel Homes

Joe
Joe

New House

Had our new house built just about two years ago. Overall, the house is great and we love it, the sales process was excellent but starting from the build to after sales care I have to say my experience has been trending downwards from my initial experience with this organization.

Anything you want changed / done get it done before they get that first check. After they have that check, the only way you can get anything changed is if you forgo your deposit and cancel the build ...

I think another review said get everything in writing ... seriously ... get *everything* in writing.

The TL;DR version ... sales process is great, overall build quality is great where it matters, get everything in writing, post sales support is mediocre at best.

Just a few examples of where things started going south for us ...

1. We had a spice kitchen where we ended up with a 2 ft by 3 ft cabinet that can only be accessed via an 8 inch door. Effectively making the storage space useless. Understood that it was a code change that made this a necessity but verbally by the sales person we were told that something would be done to make this space useful. But once the build commenced it was left as is and to be honest no one really ever said anything to me besides that they personally could not help me with the matter or refer me to anyone that could potentially help. The cabinet company they used is super unresponsive, I reached out to them a few times for accessories and maybe to help me with some sort of fix but they have been less than helpful as well. Someday when I have a bit of money I guess I'll sort this out myself.

2. There were damaged sub floors that we caught during one of our initial walk-throughs. We directed Excel's attention to the matter and nothing was done. Carpet was laid over it and you could feel the dip where the boards were broken. Fast forward to our 1 year inspection, Excel finally decided to do something about. They cut the carpet in a new place, pulled it back, cut out the broken piece and then jammed a random piece of board in the hole. You could obviously see that there was a bump in the spot now as the fix was not flush to the sub-floor. I just gave in to be honest and said fine good enough; was just tired of dealing with the issue and couldn't afford any more time off of work. We got the lowest end carpet with the plan to replace it in a few years so the heck with it, I will fix the sub-floors properly when I do that.

3. Master bathroom glass shower doors were crooked, upon further inspection realized the top door frame was cut too short. First attempt to fix was prying the bar off, centering it and then using silicone to fill the gaps. Didn't work. Finally came back a second time to replace the defective part but the guy who did it just made a gigantic mess with the silicone. Excel's response was that's good enough. So I did my best cleaning it up and add it to the list of things that I'll get sorted my self someday.

4. Front landscaping. This one is funny and I'm not really bent out of shape over it just thought I'd mention it. I guess the developer decided that all of the properties needed landscaping in the front. We took possession right on the day of a big snowstorm in October, landscaping had been done too late. Grass is dead, slope is all messed up, whatever, I didn't have to pay for it will fix it next summer.

5. Driveway, gotta love that less than 10% damage means that it's okay rule. Driveway started peeling the first few months, according to Excel it was salt which is weird because it was only in two specific spots and no where else. There were also massive cavities on the side of the driveway where the pad didn't go all the way to soil / landscaping - which made a perfect home for a family of some type of small rodents that I'm still fighting off. They fixed it after a bit of back in forth but it was like pulling teeth to get it done. Best part of this one is that an Excel representative told me not to seal the driveway for the first year and then when it peeled same due said to me why didn't you get the driveway sealed. Get everything in writing.

6. Basement window didn't have gravel in it and was filled with construction debris. This one got on my nerves, the first person we dealt with didn't want to do the outside inspection due to the snow storm. By the time of the next inspection that guy had quit, the dude that took over from that point on started using "Should have noted this during the move in" as a mantra for any issues on the outside of the house. Wanted me to clean out the window well so that the gravel could be done. Took a few months but eventually the gravel was put in.

7. Que the "Should have noted this during the move in" mantra ... there were a bunch of drill holes on the siding on the garage obviously from the installation process but they wont fix them because we didn't do the exterior inspection.

8. One more for the "Should have noted this during the move in" chant ... They added a fake awning at the behest of the developer that I personally did not want or like but what can you do - architectural allowance. So they put it on but the thing was crooked and loose. Got "fixed" when the thing fell off the side of the house. I say "fixed" because they basically lag bolted the thing into the side of the house so hard that it warps the siding now, the bloody thing is all dinged up and scratched. Not too beat up about it, if they compromised the envelope and water gets in New Home Warranty can deal with it. Tried complaining about how ugly it looks but b/c it's functional according to Excel it's good enough. So add it to the pile of things I'll just fix myself later.

I could go on but it's pointless ... just wanted to give a small sampling of the after sales Excel vs. before sales. Before the sale, the customer service is amazing. After the sale, they start from the position of "can't do anything for you buddy". As long as you expect that, don't get tapped out like I did and just start giving you do get a pretty well built house for the price.

The floor plans, initial build, adherence to budget, timelines, etc. are great. It's just they are a very rigid and inflexible through the build process and to be honest once the thing is done, they are done with you as well.

Not worth it

I waited for around a year and a half before providing my honest review about Excel homes in Calgary South East.
So here it goes…

We decided to buy a NEW home just because we didn’t want to deal with fixing issues with a pre-owned home. We decided to buy a house in south-east Calgary. We had several options (Builders) to choose from and zeroed in on Excel mainly because of the price.

Our salesman back then was very efficient in relying to emails and messages. I never waited for more than an hour during working hours for a response. This part was great.

The buying process however felt a bit rushed and the selection of all your options were literally done in the basement of the show home. Some may like this as they have limited options as compared to other builders. I found it extremely hurried and chaotic as you had to decide then and there.

Here is the important part - MAKE SURE YOU GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING
Let me tell you why…
We decided on a color for the Granite in the Kitchen on the day we signed the offer.
Everything was fine until one fine day I decided to follow up on the status of the house and not sure why wanted to confirm the color of the granite and I’m glad I did. The color they had was totally off. Now you will hear this a lot that the color of the granite will differ from the sample which I agree but this was way off like black and white!!! Lucky they were able to stop the order before the granite was cut and installed thus me saving the builder thousands of dollars. The irony is I got a faulty island as a thank you.

The island issue was pointed out as a deficiency during our final construction walkthrough and the construction supervisor said they will fix it. We took possession of our house under the impression that this issue will be fixed. At the 6 month walkthrough the customer service manager installed some blocking in the basement but that did not fix the issue at all.
So we contacted customer service again and were informed that this was a known issue with this model of excel homes and that the island was built by code.

Now remember this word cause you will here is a lot. Build as per CODE.
That is how you will get a response to most of your complaints after you take possession to problems excel homes cannot fix.
The cherry on the cake was I was told to contact new home warranty…. For a brand new home!!!
They too confirmed that it was as per code. But if this was a known issue why was this not brought to our attention when buying!

There were several other issues which were identified during our walkthrough and after moving in.

The garage door was faulty and the tech came in and rewired it but still gives us issues till today.
He did not know what the issue was but told us that we will be charged if we call him again even though the issue was not resolved.

The water heater did not work when we moved in and we had cold water for 2 days due to a faulty part.
These are supposed to be brand new equipment and appliances which the builder should have checked.
Can you imagine no hot water after driving and moving for 12 hours! Since it was a non-emergency as per Excel we had to wait 2 days for the issue to be fixed.

The Furnace was leaking 2 times within the first 2 months and the HVAC had to come in to fix it.
The washing machine stops working and we had to do a hard reset several times.
There was a problem with one of the gas burners within 9 months which the service tech fixed.
We have our fingers crossed now that the appliances are out of warranty.

Apart from this …

Several walls not painted properly. A lot of paint flashes and drywall discrepancies.
Be aware if you have a drywall issue or cracked paint they will only fix the drywall after you take possession. We already have several paint cracks on our walls and we were told the contractor will only fix the crack and not paint it. We were not informed about this earlier and had to cancel the appointment. Make sure you identify any paint issue on your final walkthrough or else you will have to fix it yourself later.

A window frame cracked within 6 months but was replaced. Hopefully this was a one off because if anything breaks now it’s out of warranty.

Screen in the basement and bedroom were missing but were later installed.

The toilet bowls were wobbling and they fixed it using a shim!

There were several other issues that were identified but fixed as we caught it during our walkthrough so pay good attention.

On the bright side the customer service representative we dealt with was amazing and extremely helpful. She went above and beyond to help us as we were first time home owner and knew very little.

So the bottom line is we decided to go for an Excel home because of the price as compared to other builders in the area but we definitely paying the price for it now. If I knew I had to settle for a new house I would have taking my chances with a pre-owed or gone with another builder.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Excel Homes takes all feedback very seriously and we are sorry to hear that you are not happy with us. We want to assure you that Excel warranty staff are committed to approaching every home with care and attention and completing all warrantable repairs. When our team makes recommendations to contact Alberta New Home Warranty, it is to provide an additional third-party inspection for your piece of mind.

We apologize that post drywall repair paint touch ups are not a part of the warranty program and do try to be as transparent about this as possible by including it in the information provided to you at possession. As the introduction of new environments to the home happens throughout the first year, we are unable to guarantee a paint match and therefore do not complete any paint or texturing touch ups.

We would be happy to follow up on any outstanding warrantable items, including re-inspecting your island concern with our trade partners and Warranty and Service Manager. Please feel free to contact us at customercare@excelhomes.ca with the details and your address and we would be happy to follow up.

Warm Regards,
The Customer Experience Team

Damien in Toronto
Damien in Toronto
1 review Cochrane, AB

Excel provided us with a beautiful home but the sales lady caused tons of unnecessary stress. Price was changed many times,and she gave us lots of incorrect information . If you do buy build with excel get everything in writing as the sales lady verbal

Can not stress enough to make sure everything is in writing, as in all finishes, upgrades and discussions. Sales lady has no word and does nt care once she has your money. She caused us so much unnecessary stress. No ways professional. Let the team down big time. They have moved her to another location now. Lots of fellow excel purchasers we have been talking had same experience. Not good enough when you are parting with so much money. You need to get what you are being told you get for your money. Not the case. Once you ve parted with your deposit there is no changing things so just be careful and read and verify all ,and put verbal agreements in writing. We were also give a 3 month build guarantee by the same lady however she forgot to let the construction team know so we did nt get this guarantee either . Major room for improvement in communication

Many issues

Garage pitted in less than year
Garage door opens and massive viberation felt on 2nd floor
Paint coming off already
Garge door safety sensor inoperative ( reapir person looked at it at 1year warrenty appointment for random Garge door opening issue) guess what safety sensor does not work after that.

Poor customer service

Very poor customer service. Have had to fight for the service that the promise in the purchase agreement. Six month walk thru issues still outstanding after one year. One year walk thru done but no response or follow up by excell. All in all the worst company I have dealt with regarding warranty of it product and service.

T&G in Walden
T&G in Walden

Sub Standard Driveway - Refusal to Repair

We moved into our new home in December, 2017. We were unable to seal our driveway due to winter weather. By April when the snow finally melted the driveway was pitted all over. Excel refused to repair as it wasn't over 10% of the total driveway affected. Other builders in the area took responsibility for sub par concrete work and had the driveways sandblasted and sealed. We now have a 10 month old home with a driveway that requires expensive repair work. Excel has been a challenge to work with. They are certainly willing to fix small items, paint chips, damaged lights, etc. but not anything major. If this is what Excel considers acceptable work, I am very concerned about the overall quality of our new home.

Sekhon Savinderpal in Calgary
Sekhon Savinderpal in Calgary

Worst home buying experience

Worst home buying experience
Paid much than my friend
And got alot frustrating
As every problem with home is said to be normal
No one even hear what you want they have only no
Never care for your feelings
Thanks and Sorry if this hurt someone

Hi Sekhon, We are so sorry to hear that this was your experience with us. If you would be willing to discuss your concerns further, we would love to look into them and try to make things right. Thank you.

LL in High River
LL in High River
1 review High River, AB

VERY DISSATISFIED ABOUT AFTER SALES CUSTOMER SERVICES

On the day of they came for the "11 month warranty assessment", I report my damaged driveway, the Excel Homes staff refuse to fix it and said "Excel Home can do nothing about it, it is your problem not to maintenance well the house." THEN HE LEFT! until now, no staff come again to do my 11 month warranty assessment, they just pass it.

Hi LL, We are so sorry to hear that you have items in your home which have not yet been inspected as part of your 11 month walkthrough. If you could please get in touch with us at: customercare@excelhomes.ca with your address and information, we will set up an inspection for you right away. Thank you.

Savanna Calgary NE

The quality is not up to the standards. I island in the kitchen wobbles even if kids walk 6 feet in the surrounding. The floor feels like card board as it is too noisy in bigger rooms. Their rep initially realized that there are issues bit later he said its normal. I have checked my friends house brand new from Homes by Avi there is no such issue with the island. I was already doubting the way the finished the house in no time and hand it over to us. The back side room on top of garage was shaking like in earthquacks when the wind was gusting only 60 km/h. Again their rep said next time please make a video or let us know if there is any crack occur.
I m contineously following up with him but he is using delaying tactics with me.

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that this is the experience that you have had. Could you please reach out to our Customer Care team at: customercare@excelhomes.ca and provide them with your information so that we can have your concerns investigated further? Thank you!

Rodricks in Calgary
Rodricks in Calgary
1 review Cochrane, AB

First Time Home Buyers

We are first time home buyers and had a lot of questions, but Charla, Macy and Josip were very helpful throughout our homebuilding process. They were very patient and had an answer to all our questions. We love our new home but we really wish some of the changes/choices we wanted to make were considered instead we were told they are builder choices and cannot be changed. I would still recommend Excel Homes as its a painless buying/ building process.

Thank you for sharing your experience and for your kind words about Charla, Maci and Josip :) We hope you are settling in well in Heartland, and welcome to the Excel family! :)

More about Excel Homes

Excel Homes is a forward-thinking, energetic company, committed to creating innovative and thoughtfully designed homes. Since building our first house in 1988 we’ve focused on the evolving needs of our homebuyers to provide unparalleled value.

Looking to minimize our environmental footprint, and find new ways to add value, we joined the Built Green® program in 2007. To date we’ve built over 2,200 Built Green® homes, are the second largest registrant in Canada, and are the proud recipients of a Built Green® Champion Award.

With 25-years of experience, over 10,000 single-family homes built, and 50 builder awards for design excellence, Excel Homes is honoured to be one of greater Calgary’s leading builders.