Roofmaster Ottawa

Leblanc
Leblanc
0 reviews Ottawa, ON

Fascia repair

We had roofmaster come and repair fascia, when there was an issue, they stayed true to their warranty and fixed the fascia again. The owner was very reasonable to work with.

Thank you for your kind review. We apologize for the initial misunderstanding. We're glad it turned out well in the end. Kind regards, Roofmaster Ottawa Inc

Private User reviews , ON

Roof replacement

Dominic was the sales person and is very personable which made me feel that we were going to be getting great quality in materials and workmanship. Hugo and his crew worked very hard to deliver that workmanship quality and did an excellent job even though we had several days of rain. They never left anything to chance and always made sure our roof was covered and able to withstand the rain until they could get back and complete the job. Our roof looks amazing and our neighbours have commented on it so we know that the job was what Roofmaster promised. Thanks Hugo !~

Thank you for your kind review. We're really happy everything went smoothly!

Colleen
Colleen

custom fascia/soffit

We called Roofmaster at a time when we were having difficulty with squirrels. We live in a century old home and they were chewing through the wood fascia/soffit. We were eventually successful in dealing with the problem through pest removal channels. The estimator went above and beyond and was extremely helpful with this, even though pest removal is not part of his job. After the intrusion was dealt with, we decided to forego the capping of the fascia/soffit as it was not absolutely necessary.

When we first met the estimator, he gave us an estimate of the cost of the job (approximately $20,000). He also showed us pictures of nearby/similar roofs with a clean/seamless transition from the roof to the fascia. We took some time to think about it and again, we decided not to proceed.

Then, the estimator got back in touch to say that his boss was able to secure the materials at a lesser cost and therefore, the cost of the job would be reduced. Given the new cost (approximately $18,000 taxes in) and our interest in cleaning up the look of the house (based on pictures we were shown of “similar jobs”), we decided to go ahead. The owner later referred to this as a “discount.” This was not relayed to us as a discount— just the agreed upon cost of the work, given the cost of materials.

After the installer had already begun work, he pulled me aside to tell me that he would not be able to install drip edge, as the roof had an old cedar shake roof sitting below it. I was assured that this would not impact function. I also assumed that the estimator knew this and that we were still on track to accomplish a clean and finished appearance. I was later told by the owner that the drip edge was not included in our package, so we should not have expected it. We were confused as to why the installer went out of his way to inform us that he would not be able to install the drip edge if he did not intend to install the drip edge to start with.

When the installers finished the job the next day, I called the estimator to explain that the installer was unable to install drip edge and that we were disappointed by the appearance (no clean lines, rough, cedar shakes visible underneath, seamless transition to fascia not accomplished). The estimator responded immediately and arrived to take a peak.

He agreed that this was not the look that he had hope we could accomplish. He also stated that he did not notice there was a cedar shake roof underneath our current roof until right then. Later on, during a 3-way phone call with an owner, the estimator repeated this. Both owner and estimator, however, stated that they were paid to cap our fascia and soffit, had done so, and so they had done their job. They also suggested that the fault in all of this sits with previous home owners who chose to place a new roof over an existing roof, rather than discard of the old one.

While we understand now that it is not possible and the reasons why, we were told that we were going to accomplish certain appearance for the agreed upon cost. As the roof professionals, we did expect that Roofmaster would have identified issues prior to installation. At that point, we would not have gone ahead with the project. On a call with the owner, he stated that the estimators do not necessarily have the technical knowledge to be able to identify things like this in advance. He offered us a $339.00 discount “on top of our previous discount” (the agreed upon cost to start work).

Given that there were really no solutions to accomplish a clean look, the owner suggested that we could hire a painting company to paint the exposed cedar shakes. Of course, he suggested this solution would come at our expense.

We are disappointed with the suggestion that a $300.00 discount is sufficient. We would not have proceeded with an $18,000.00 job if we were advised that it was not possible to achieve a clean or finished appearance. Roofmaster stands behind the work they have done and we agree that they have done all they can given the roof system that we have. Ultimately, though, we made an $18,000 decision based on a promise that the estimator made, almost entirely to achieve a certain aesthetic.

If you decide to go with Roofmaster, we recommend drafting a secondary contract, which clearly dictates responsibilities of both sides. If you are looking to accomplish a certain aesthetic, put it on paper.

Hi Colleen, Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We apologize that the the aesthetic you were hoping for was not accomplished. The images our estimator showed to you of a previous job was one where we did the roof AND soffit fascia work. This was also made clear to you that we did the roof and aluminum work in the images. This is why there is a seamless transition between the fascia metal and the roof. In your case, there is an existing roof where the cedar shakes (and additional 2nd roof system on top of it) are overhanging the roof edge by 3-4". This overhang is also not considered part of the fascia and so it cannot be capped with aluminum. The best way to address this is to remove both the roof systems and install new colour matched steel drip edge flashing and then new shingles/metal roof. This way the transition will be seamless. As mentioned over the phone you cannot fasten to the underside of overhanging 60-100 year old cedar shakes. The screws will barely bite to the dry brittle thin wood, and even if it did, the screws would protrude through the cedar shakes and out through the roof system risking water infiltration. Regarding discounts, as mentioned over the phone the initial discount was not just because of the materials reduction but also because we adjusted our overhead pricing as well to give you the lower price by approx $2000. The second discount was simply out of kindness when we really did not do anything wrong and no obligation on our part to do so. It may seem like $300+HST is not much but for us it can cover something such as a laborer's wage for the day and it is quite significant. I agree in the short term this has caused some pain and bad feelings but once the budget allows I encourage you to give us an opportunity to complete the second phase of the project which is the roof. Sometimes it does work out better when these things are done simultaneously because this way you will be guaranteed to have a perfect and seamless transition between the roof edge and fascia metal. Lastly we just want to thank you for sending payment promptly as well. Kind Regards, Kershan Bulsara

Philip M.
Philip M.
0 reviews Ottawa, ON

New roof

Complex roof replacement. Excellent salesperson, Dominic, was very knowledgeable and helped us choose the right materials. Work was carried out as promptly as possible during late fall weather. Site was cleaned up well.

Hi Philip, thanks for writing such a glowing review. Glad you were happy with our service. -Roofmaster Ottawa Inc

Shanti in Toronto
Shanti in Toronto

New Roof

I contracted Roof Master to install a NEW ROOF. On the May 28th 2019 the Roof Master's workers worked on my roof. On 31st May the inspector from the company returned with the roofer who did the work. There was a lot of nailing and banging on the roof.

I noticed a large bump at the end of my roof above the front step. I pointed that out to the roofer and he said it was a piece of plastic. I asked him to take that "plastic "off, he climbed on the railing of my yard and pulled off a piece of plastic.

The next day I noticed the huge irregularity was still there. I texted the estimator who told me to phone the office for repair to my NEW ROOF.

The person who answered the phone at the office told me to send a photo. I guess I was supposed to climb on the roof for proof of bad work. After several phone calls to the office the original roofer and inspector returned to my house. The roofer said that there was some rotted wood which he patched. I was not told that there was rotted wood and was not given the option for my roof. The inspector's comment was the roofer is a" young guy" and what would I expect. I told the inspector, I paid for a new roof not some patch work. The inspector told the roofer to put a piece of metal and press it down firmly.

The next day the estimator came and looked at it and made NO comment and left me an email address.

Two day later on July 25th 2019, a different inspector came to my house. Again, I reiterated that is not what I paid for and I want a smooth roof. He said he has been a roofer for 30 years and this was the best solution.

The inspector told me he was going to phone the "owner of the company" I went into my house. By now, I am more than 30 minutes late. About 20 minutes later as I was about to leave my home I saw a man climbing up a ladder to my roof. I asked him several times “who are you?”, he responded “he is the owner and refused to give his name, I said to him." That is not the roof I paid for," he told me to come up the ladder to the roof and he will show me!!

I AM A SENIOR CITIZEN. I did not.

At first he tried to convince me that it was the flashing that was bolted down. I insisted that I lived in the house for several years and there was not flashing there because I can see it from my window every day. I stood my ground saying that was not the flashing.

The OWNER called me UNTELLIGENT, MIS-INFORMED, IGNORANT AND UNREASONABLE. He continued to berate me for over 10 minutes. He said he was doing roofing since he was 5 years old and he was here to EDUCATE ME!

The Owner admitted that the roofer made a mistake and the work he did was the "best solution.

· He wanted me to sign a document saying that he would fix the roof the way I wanted it but I would lose the warranty on the roof.

· He wanted me to get another contractor to look at Roof Master's work because it was the best work, BUT, AT MY EXPENSE

· He wanted to know WHY I chose Roof Master.

· Next, he wanted my husband's opinion because he seems “more reasonable.”

· That is trying to put husband against wife. In the meantime, the roofer was walking along my street to find a house with my type of roof to show me and the work Roof Master did was efficient. He found none and came up with a solution that would fix the" Bad Work" so it's not visible from the street by installing a white piece of metal to block it is visibility form the street and driveway. However, that does not fix the problem

· I can still see it from my window everyday

· The OWNER continued to berate me and only stopped when I said I would write a review. By now I am over 40 minutes late for my work so I drove off.

· Buyer beware If you can't see it that does mean it's well done.

· When I stood my ground, I was totally abused by the owner.

· This is totally unacceptable

Shanti from Ottawa

Shanti, this is a complete fabrication and we hope you do the right thing and remove your review. We have been to your home multiple times, spend hours of time and energy, explained the situation to you over and over. Simply put, you are seeing an existing flashing that was always there since the home was built. We did not replace or touch it. Our contract was to just replace the shingles around it. We cannot be responsible for flashings installed by others that you only happen to notice after the new shingle roof is installed because you are now for the first time looking at your roof. We've given the option to pay for new flashing but you have refused and we will not replace your old flashings for no reason for free. It's unfortunate you do not have the ability to understand this simple situation. We wish no other contractor has to suffer the abuse from you trying to get things for free. The worst type of homeowner to deal with. We have discussed with you with integrity and decency and all you want is work to be done for free.

Andre in Ottawa
Andre in Ottawa
1 review Ottawa, ON

Excellent asphalt shingle roof replacement

Great experience with Roofmaster! This company is not like other roofers in Ottawa.

They are real tradespeople. They don’t employ subcontractors; their own employees do the work.
These guys are true craftsmen and deserve the same recognition as certified electricians. The job was done perfectly, they don’t cut corners and they cleaned up thoroughly.

Special thanks to Andre Charbonneau, our foreman; genuine master at his craft. He answered all my questions, provided me with solutions to areas with prior damage and inspected everything with a fine tooth comb.
He even provided me with extra 3 feet of ice and rain shield, updated my decorative trim and made most fixes without charging. He went above what was required in the contract for flashing and valleys.

I did my research, got multiple quotes, looked and reddit and google before contacted them.
I was not expecting such attention to detail from a roofing company. I was pleasantly surprised at the level of professionalism.
And shockingly they had a very competitive price for the best product on the market (CertainTeed). Dominic, our estimator worked with us to come to a reasonable price.

They even came to do the job early at my request. Highly recommend.

Hi Andre, Thank You so much for providing us such a super review!

Frank in Ottawa
Frank in Ottawa
1 review Ottawa, ON

Roof repair: Great customer service and work

I contacted Roof Master after last Friday's wind storm as I had several missing shingles. I booked a repair appointment (Tues PM or Wed AM). The roof master repair person contacted me to provide an update on when they would be at our house, much appreciated. Mark came on time Wed AM and replaced 8 missing shingles, fixed some popped nails and repaired some caulking. Great customer service and work, Thanks, Frank.

Hi Frank, thanks for taking the time to write us a review. It is greatly appreciated and we're glad your experience went well with Roofmaster!

MP A. in Ottawa
MP A. in Ottawa

Chimney/Roofing

Over the past few weeks we have been trying to resolve a persistent issue with our chimney. We have had several people in who have looked at our situation and given different diagnoses. We needed to know what the problem was.
We subsequently approached Roofmaster who had done our roof a few years ago and their representative spent a great deal of time conducting various tests on the bricks and fascia and we know what needs to be done. The issue was not where other people had thought. Roofmaster’s representative was very pleasant to work with, very detailed in his work and was sympathetic to our plight.
We would like to commend Roofmaster for all the time they took to help us. They would not stop until they had identified the issue. We would recommend Roofmaster to anyone. They are a quality company and have high working standards and excellent customer service. This company lives up to their reputation and to the Consumers Choice Award they win every year!

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I'm glad the project worked out for you and appreciate the recommendation to others! -Roofmaster Ottawa Inc.

Tasha in Ottawa
Tasha in Ottawa

Rooftop estimate

I had an amazing experience with this company. They showed up on time and did an excellent job. I had received an estimate by Tarek and found his attention to detail and professionalism was outstanding. My entire experience with Roofmaster was positive and hassle free, will definitely be recommending them to all my friends and family.

Hi Tasha, I'm glad your experience went well right from the estimate with Tarek to the final result. We appreciate the recommendations! -Roofmaster Ottawa Inc

Private User reviews Ottawa, ON

Roof, Soffit, Fascia and Gutters

Assisted Review

Personable, Knowledgeable, Professional.

Overall very satisfied with the service and product.

Our roof looks great! Even the eaves troughs and downspouts are quite attractive. Glad we went with the rain-pro product!

Roofers on site were very professional, courteous and kept the site extremely clean. They definitely exuded pride of work and company.

Extremely happy that we went with Roofmaster for our new home!

Hello, We are glad you enjoyed the experience and our RainPro eavestrough signature product! Thanks for writing a review! -Roofmaster Ottawa Inc

More about Roofmaster Ottawa

THANK YOU OTTAWA FOR ONCE AGAIN VOTING ROOFMASTER THE ONLY ROOFER IN THE OTTAWA REGION WINNER OF THE CONSUMER CHOICE AWARD FOR BUSINESS EXCELLENCE.... INCLUDING THE LAST DECADE CONSECUTIVELY!!!

*****

Additionally, we have placed twice as Finalist (runner-up) for the Better Business Bureau Torch Award for marketplace ethics and trust standards in the past few years. This recognition by the community and our customers indicate the company managers and staff really do care about the quality and service of work that Roofmaster provides. We have been in business since 1981 and completed nearly 16,000 roofing and related jobs successfully, earning ourselves an excellent reputation. Although the vast majority of our work is in the residential shingle roofing sector, we also do a number of commercial projects for engineering firms, the City of Ottawa as well as the Provincial and Federal Governments. We specialize in all types of asphalt shingles, custom steel and composite roofing types. Give us a call for FREE estimates on all your projects with written contracts and written warranties.