I hired Shedman to build a detached garage for me (18' x 22'). They did an amazing job. Everything worked out perfectly every step of the way. The process could not have been simpler.
1. They will provide a very detailed quote so you know exactly what you are paying for. Then you can tweak whatever you want and they will readjust.
2. You get your own permit (You may not need one depending on what you are doing). In Ajax, getting the permit is not that big of deal. Just google how to get permits in what town you live in and get in touch with the town to find out all the rules and regulations.
3. Once you know all the rules you have to follow for sizing and location (and there are a lot of rules) you can go back to Shedman and get them to tweak the quote again.
4. The crew who builds the garages will come out at some point before you start spending any money to check your yard and make sure the spacing/grading etc is suitable for your build.
5. Shedman works with an Architect so she will prepare the drawings for your permit.
6. You submit your permit application (In Ajax this is not a big deal, all you have to do is fill out some basic paper work about what you are doing and scan this and the drawings over to the town and of course pay a small fee).
7. Shedman will let you know when they can start. Your work is now finished.
I was kept informed of everything that was happening-if the crew was coming over to work, if we were expecting an inspector to come over, if they were not coming due to rain, etc. Marika and Randi in the office have excellent communication.
Every person who was involved with this project was so great and easy to deal with. My contacts were Marika and Randi in the office, and Mike on the crew.
Everyday when the crew left, everything was cleaned up. You could not even tell that they were there, except for the major progress made.
Please note, Shedman only builds structures, if you want additional things such as electrical or an epoxied floor you make your own arrangements for that. They can refer you to companies who do this if that helps you. My price listed in my approximate cost is for the structure only.
In terms of pricing Shedman was the only quote I got, but I thought it was fairly priced. What really sold me on hiring Shedman was the fact that they are a one stop shop for the structure. What I did not want was to have to find my own architect, cement person, roofer, garage door installer, etc. I wanted one person/company to handle all of that for me which is exactly what you get with Shedman.
I am so glad I hired Shedman, I love my new garage so much!
- Approximate cost of services: