Tropic Air Heating & Cooling

Reviews for Tropic Air Heating & Cooling

Francesca in Toronto
Francesca in Toronto

Overpriced

I was very happy with the service I was provided. Lorne came the next morning after calling to say I needed our AC repaired. I was told on the phone that a service call would cost $135.00 and then the hourly rate was $135.00. Based on what I described, he said that he didn’t think it would take longer than an hour to fix. I had called several other places that quoted me less (some considerably less) but because I had a tenant self isolating in the basement apt I couldn’t book anything for a week. I figured the extra $20-50 would be worth it to have it repaired quickly. And then I got the bill... I was charged a total of $305 for what was essentially 5mins worth of work. I cannot understand how they can justify charging that much money for the job that was done!
I called and spoke with the office administrator and was told that is what they typically charge for a “diagnostic plus a service call” so it was not $135 like I was told on the phone it was $135+ $135 , so 270 plus tax !!! He had the unit fixed before I even returned from turning it back on. It was some debris blocking the water from draining properly and he used a pressure tool to blow it out.
I was happy it was fixed and Lorne was a lovely person BUT had I known that the minimum I would be paying was $270 I never have booked with them. I easily could have waited a week to save a few hundred dollars. It was not clear at the outset that I would have to pay that much. I’m disappointed and would recommend asking detailed questions before letting them do any service for you.

We are sorry to hear that despite being happy with the service provided and the timeliness of the work being completed, that there was a misunderstanding regarding the price structure. A diagnostic charge is standard industry practice to identify the problem and formulate a solution. As you stated, the rate quoted reflected $135 for the diagnostic component (service charge) and $135 per hour for the time required to complete the repairs. Loren’s proficiency and 28 years of HVAC experience in addition to Tropic Air’s preparedness by ensuring our technicians have the right tools and equipment on hand, enables us to resolve most HVAC problems expeditiously. In consideration of the extreme heat and as you had indicated your tenant was in COVID isolation, we prioritized your appointment and attended on Sunday morning. Additional time was also spent providing insights and information on other HVAC issues you were experiencing unrelated to the issue that was causing water leakage and preventing you from using the air conditioning unit. At Tropic Air we take pride in providing honest and efficient service to our clients and feel that the $270 fee is a fair price to resolve your cooling issues on a Sunday. It was our pleasure to be of service to you and regret the misunderstanding regarding the price structure.

Asim in Scarborough

Consistent Excellent Customer Service and Honesty!

This is the 4th time Loren has come to our rescue, and he brought the same goods as before - namely consultation, complete attentiveness to my needs, prompt responsiveness, efficiency and providing a high class solution for a GREAT price! Our A/C broke down, and I called Loren. Loren responded right away and did a thorough review of the breakdown. I really appreciate the time that Loren takes to educate a lay person like me on the basics of HVAC and a methodical approach to problem solving. Once we agreed upon the solution, the A/C was installed in 2 days, and I got a free HVAC 101 lesson:-). His crew mirrors his dedication, thoroughness and perfection in work. But most importantly, Loren and his team are one of the most respectful, personable and honourable professionals I have met.

Loren is my trusted advisor for all of my HVAC needs.

Thank you for the great review! We appreciate all the praise and will be sure to share this with our team! They always try to ensure our customers are satisfied and it was a pleasure to have assisted you in your time of HVAC need! We are always here to help! Thank you again and stay safe, The Tropic Air Team

Mark in Toronto
Mark in Toronto

A/C diagnostic mistake, but refunded all costs

My A/C broke in dead of summer so I called a company to come fix it, they did, but it broke again 2 days later so I called Tropic and they booked an appt for a tech to come look at it. the day before the appt they called to say their tech had been injured (not on the job) and so they may need to move me. But I guess they found another tech who was able to come do the diagnostic. This replacement tech did not appear to know what he was doing, originally he claimed the coolant was low (but previous guy had checked this and it was fine) so he did a few more tests and eventually said the compressor needed to be replaced and the office would call with a quote later.
I wasn't very confident with this diagnosis so I had another company come look at it and determined the compressor and coolant levels were fine and that it appears to be a problem with wiring or my Nest thermostat.
After finding out the compressor was fine I called Tropic to ask for a refund on the service call costs and once they heard my story they quickly issued a refund and apologized for the confusion and assured me that they would be talking with the technician to ensure this did not happen again.
So in the end this potentially bad story had a happy ending.

Water Heater Replacement - Amazing Experience

My water heater needed replacement in December. Called Tropic Air. Loren arrived within 2 hours of my call, and as promised completed the work within a day at a highly competitive price. What could one ask for, right? But here is more.

Loren is one of the most personable gentleman I have ever met. He was extremely attentive and patient in hearing all my concerns, did not try to oversell, offered professional advice, answered all my questions and showed me how to maintain my water heater. He also provided advice on how to store my A/C in winter and fixed my central humidifier that he noticed was not working - FREE OF CHARGE! which shows that HVAC is not Loren's job but his vocation, which is priceless.

I strongly recommend Loren Walker from Tropic Air for any HVAC services and wish him and his company all the success!

EB in Toronto
EB in Toronto

New High Efficiency Furnace

Buying a furnace is extremely difficult especially in the middle of the winter when you are not in the city where the furnace needs changing. Who the hell knows what furnace to buy? I had been completely ripped off for a new igniter by another HVAC company and i was very untrusting.

Somehow I ended up calling this company. The only review I found wasn't that great but I decided to go with the company anyways and things worked out. THey were very accommodating and got the job done for a price which seems to be the going rate or a bit less.

I did check the cost of the furnace on the internet and there is still a considerable markup but it was going to be the same thing with other companies.

The cost of the first visit on a stat holiday was deducted and they installed a humidifier. They did not explain properly the thermostat thing. I may have to install it myself and install a third wire to get the full benefit of the furnace but apart from that I was satisfied with the work. (They did offer to install a new thermostat and it was me who declined).

Sean Rodriguez from Toronto
Sean Rodriguez from Toronto

Installing a Tankless Water Heater

My old water heater died on me and I was in dire need of replacing it. I called the folks at Tropic Air and they set me up with a brand him fancy water heater and now my water works better than ever. They told me the benefits of going tankless and it was an easy switch for me. I really appreciate the speedy and effective service from Tropic Air and I'm sure they will do the same for you!

Looking for Heating & Air Conditioning pros in Richmond Hill?