Toronto Roofing Industries Ltd

Reviews for Toronto Roofing Industries Ltd

brottomath in Toronto
brottomath in Toronto

Gaf Timberline High Defintion shingles and flat roof over garage

Hi, I am a first time home owner and I am taking the time to write thos review because this roofing company deserves recognition for the excellent professional job they did on my house roof and flat roof on the garage. My interactions with everyone had excellent customer service. The installation crew are certified master elite contractors by GAF and I have to say these guys knew exactly what they were doing and installed my roof shingles and flat roof with great attention to details. These guys worked straight 12 hrs shift until the job was done. Thank you Toronto Roofing we are very happy with everything you have done for our roofing needs.

arundel in Toronto
arundel in Toronto

New flat "cool roof" - excellent job!

My flat roof was a mess and I was constantly worried that it would start to leak. I was also interested in "cool roof" options to reduce heat gain in the second floor of my older Toronto home. A big black roof just soaks up the heat and a cool (white) roof reflects a lot of the sun's energy and stays much cooler. This type of roofing is common on commercial buildings. Upon asking other contractors about cool roof options they just said "we don't do that" so I moved on.

I contacted Tim Mulroy and he was very receptive to my request and we ended up using Soprema Soprastar cap for the flat roof and Certainteed Landmark Solaris Platinum asphalt shingles for a small patch of adjacent pitched roof. The cost to upgrade to these products was around $750 over conventional products, which was reasonable to me, so I signed a contract with Toronto Roofing Industries.

Due to rain, the work couldn't start right away but once the team started the work, they were at my home continuously until the work was complete. The job also included new fascia, soffit and gutters which was part of the contract but the work was done quickly and to my satisfaction by a subcontractor.

A cool white roof may not be for you if aesthetics is an issue. No part of my roof that is white can be seen from the ground so it made perfect sense in my case.

Review has 1 previous version

Flat Roof Botched

I would strongly discourage anyone from hiring this company to conduct any work. They completed a botched job and we have had continual leaking ever since. They continue to evade and deny any wrong doing and refuse to redo the job. We are hiring a new company to redo the roof and we will be taking this company to court to get our money back.

The job in question here was done in 2012. It is a 3 story flat roof with a sliding glass door. The difficulty on this project is the sliding glass door is FLUSH to the roof substrate. A door sill should be raised above roof level a minimum of 4" as per basic Ontario Building Code requirements. In spite of the obvious challenge here AND with a clear understanding with the owner regarding "limitations," Toronto Roofing Industries tried to make good what has proven to be a near impossible situation. However, it has not been for lack of trying. The company has returned to the job on FOUR separate occasions over the past 4 years in its resolve to bring the matter to a satisfactory conclusion. It should be noted, each time it achieved some degree of success; albeit temporary. Toronto Roofing Industries owner, Tim Mulroy was on-site as early as May 2016 to meet with the complainant (tenant) who is speaking here for the owner. Our position now is to insist that the door be raised before any further work can be done. It has been communicated in no uncertain terms that we are fully prepared to redo the flashings at our own cost once the door is raised. Toronto Roofing Industries understands fully that successful business depends on reputation. We are very proud of our reputation and take it very seriously.

barbara talbot in Toronto
barbara talbot in Toronto

A good local community business!

We first used this roofing business for a new roof for our previous house about 9 years ago and were very pleased with the professional job they did. And since that time we have used the same company a # of times to do minor roof repairs on our current house, as well as a replacing skylight. They always stayed within the quoted amount and do the work on time. Based on the number of time I have used this company I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending them as a reputable, reliable and trustworthy community based company.

Paul Cowan from Toronto
Paul Cowan from Toronto

Partial roof, aluminium soffits/facia and cedar shingles on dormer

My experience with TRI was positive.

The good:
The quality of the work is great and the professionalism of the crew was top notch. TRI was very responsive to my request for quote, called me while going through the requirements for the job and provided great detail in the estimate. Their pricing was mid range, landing in the middle of the various quotes I got. When we encountered some issues, they stopped work and had me come home to look through what needed to be done to make sure I understood where cost over runs would be incurred. The crew was articulate and took pride in their work.

The Bad:
Cost overruns were not officially quoted. In an old house like mine, I expect there to be repair work or something crazy from a renovation previous owner and I budget for this sort of thing. My original job quote was $7500 and I had overruns of $1500. I typically expect anything outside of a 10% variance to be quoted and signatures required. I was verbally provided a "up to $1200" overrun - so not having anything officially to sign off on and minimal back up when invoiced the bothered me.

The Ugly:
The clean up was poor. There was lots of aluminum left from the soffit/facia work and cigarette butts (mainly on the road). The aluminum was particularity concerning as I have small kids and it posed a high risk for cut feet. It should be noted that I did not call to complain as I cleaned it up fairly quickly.

Kathy Kinnear from Old Toronto
Kathy Kinnear from Old Toronto

new slate roof on historical house in the Annex

This roof job was a major and costly undertaking and it is very difficult to find competent slate roofers, but Toronto Roofing Industries did a first rate job. Their workers were professional, hard working and careful. Follow-up was excellent. We had a couple of minor issues after the main job was completed and TRI was always willing to come back and find the right solutions. Even now, 6 years after the main job, any time I call them with a follow-up issue (such as adding additional features) they respond immediately. I have no hesitation in recommending TRI to friends and family.

bob from Toronto
bob from Toronto

roof, siding

I joined Homestars just so I could review this company since I read others' reviews before I hired them. They came recommended by a friend who'd had some roofing done. From start to finish they were thoroughly professional and from what I can tell (2+ months after the work was completed) did a great job. Their estimator (Russ) was prompt, provided a detailed estimate with an upgrade option for the shingles. When I called with a couple of followup questions his answers were clear. By the way, the quote was modest in comparison to some other contractors who were, in my opinion, proposing very over-engineered solutions. The work was scheduled - no deposit, required, payment after the job was complete - and as it approached the projected start date I called to check on the schedule. I happened to mention we had a small bare patch where racoons had peeled away the old shingles and I wanted to make sure the work was done before some recent snowfall melted. The person on the phone offered to send someone over to tarp the bare patch until the shingles arrived which, to me,was service above and beyond the call. I got a 2-3 day notice before the work started. The crew (Kirk and a couple of others) were there on time. They introduced themselves and got to work. Very nice guys - polite, well-spoken. And they were hard workers - it was early January, they started at 8 and worked until 6 - well after dark. Cleaned up at the end of each day. The roof and siding look fantastic. I did call after the job was complete because I'd noticed an icycle where there hadn't been one before and someone was over a day or two later to make an adjustment. Overall it was a totally positive experience and I'd have no hesitation recommending them.

Thanks for taking the time to post your review!

SC in TO
SC in TO

Roof repair

When I contacted this company for a roofing job, I asked them to take pictures of the top of the roof, you know, “Before” and “After” pictures. I can’t get to the top of my flat roof and I wanted to get some pics, which in the age of cell phones should have been super-easy to do. They sent me four pictures in total: 2 of the front and back of my house taken off the street days after the job was finished (after I insisted on getting the pics) and 2 close-up pictures of wood off a stripped roof. My roof? Someone else’s roof? Who knows? When I said to them that these pics don’t really show what the job looked like before and after (no pictures of the top of the flat roof), instead of owning up to it right away, Tim proceeded give me these half-apologies: He was sorry but in in 30 years they never were asked to do this, what did I want the pictures for, etc. After ten minutes of conversation where I was just getting increasingly angry at him not taking responsibility, he finally admitted that, yes, they did not do what I had asked. Then he offered to give me pictures of my roof from Google Earth. Really? You go on their website and it’s all this stuff about how the customer is king but when they make a mistake they don’t own up to it right away – they try to make you feel that you were at fault for even requesting it. The pics should have been ready right after the job was done if they had indeed had been done. Not taken days later off the street. Obviously, the workers did not take them then and there and the company was trying to cover their tracks. When people are honest and they have nothing to hide, they are usually plain-spoken and upfront. Not being upfront makes me question the company and other areas where stuff was not done. Hopefully, the roofing job will be okay but only time will tell. There are plenty of roofers here with 10/10 ratings – go with them.

We apologize for the confusion with regards to the pictures requested and provided of this job. The office assumed before pictures meant "in progress" pictures, not pictures of your house before work began? We do our best to accommodate over 1000 customers each year and regret that this has soured your experience.

Janet from Toronto
Janet from Toronto

They have not finished the job and they left garbage in my driveway. They did come back and correct some errors, and some omissions (did not apply ice shield) but after almost 2 months I am still hoping they will finish the job and clean up.

Review has 1 previous version

Toronto Roofing Industries has been waiting for direction from the design authority. An amendment to the original plans has been forwarded to include new custom fabricated sheet metal. All other work including flat roofing, asphalt shingles and aluminum soffit fascia and trough to a third story addition is 100% complete.
The new work order was approved and awarded this week to Toronto Roofing Industries. We will now be able to schedule the final work for completion as soon as possible, tentatively next week immediately following Christmas.
This project was part of a bigger renovation under the supervision of an architect and general contractor. Both the original architect and general contractor were replaced midway through the project. The new general contractor appears very thorough and professional.
Toronto Roofing Industries regrets leaving debris in the driveway that, admittedly, should have been removed immediately. It was set aside and covered by a tarp on the construction site. We certainly had not intended to add frustration to what must be a very difficult situation living in your home while it is undergoing a major renovation.
Ice and water shield eaves protection (underlayment) is not required on mansard wall surfaces as per Ontario Building Code section 9.26.5.1 (d). The very simple reason for that is ice back-up CANNOT occur on a cold wall surface where the temperature remains constant to the outside and does not enter a heated area. Therefore it serves no purpose whatsoever. Reference article on ice damming at www.torontoroofingindustries.com.
When approached on this matter by the homeowner who had been speaking to a "roofer friend", Toronto Roofing Industries was already 85% complete on all shingle work. Rather than take a defensive approach we suggested she talk to her architect for clarification or have her roofer friend meet on site to discuss the matter with both her and Toronto Roofing Industries together. For unknown reasons, none of this was to occur?
Toronto Roofing Industries removed the completed shingle work to install ice and water shield and new shingles to keep our customer satisfied.

More about Toronto Roofing Industries Ltd

Residential roofing, shingles, flat roofing systems, alumunim siding and eaves troughing contractors.
Looking for Roofing pros in East York?