Chimney Build & Repair

Reviews for Top Hat Chimney

Grace in Toronto
Grace in Toronto

Upsell and Overpriced

I originally called Top Hat because my chimney damper was stuck, and they came to clean the chimney. They originally told me that it would cost $75 fix the damper + $155 to clean the chimney. Everyone else just said they would clean the chimney, and so when I asked Top Hat just for a chimney clean, they agreed.

When the technician did come, he had to play around with the damper and ended up charging me the $75 again anyway....fine...

What bothered me was that he pointed out all these extra things I needed to get done.

Later on, another technician, Mike, called to quote on these extra items. He was extremely rude - when I told him I didn't need one of the items, he insisted I did. I told him I had consulted a building inspector as well as a fire & code consultant who told him I didn't need those things, to which he rudely exclaimed, "Well they're WRONG!"

Then, when I asked him to quote me for a chimney cap, he said it would be $350-$450. Two other quotes I got were for $175, half the price! One other company even said they had cleaned the chimney for the previous owner and said it wasn't necessary to have a chimney cap since my chimney was so tall.

I definitely did not appreciate all the up-selling and the rudeness. I would not recommend using them.

Hi Grace. I'm sorry that your experience with our company was less than expected.

A Basic Visual Inspection is part of our regular chimney sweeping appointment. Aside from the actual cleaning, informing the homeowner of any potential issues with their wood-burning system is an important part of our service, and most homeowners are welcoming of this information.

As far as our pricing on additional work, we find that we are always competitive with the other couple of ESTABLISHED companies in the GTA. In general the only companies that can offer a lower price do not have our level of experience or expertise, and can't offer a meaningful warranty.

In defense of Mike, he is has been with Top Hat Chimney for over 20 years and I can honestly not remember the last time that I received anything but positive feedback about him or his work... I really think this may have been an unfortunate case of miscommunications.

In any case I am happy for your feedback as we are always trying to offer the best service possible.

Owner

PS. All chimneys should have a rain-cap on the top regardless of height.

Chimney Repair

This company was well priced. They arrived on time, and worked through the heat. They cleaned up after they'd finished, even washing down the driveway. We are very happy with the finished results, and would definitely recommend them.

Dear in2book,

I'm glad that you were impressed not only with the work, but also with the workers cleanliness. We are always very conscientious of people's property!

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Mark in Toronto
Mark in Toronto
2 reviews Richmond Hill, ON

Chimney fix

I used HomeStars service to look for a chimney fix. Top Hat Chimney was one of the companies, who responded. They made competitive price and come after few days to make a job done. They fixed chimney and fixed a minor foundadtion defect which a have on one of the house corners. All work done in a timely manner and very clean. Below pictures before and after. I hightly recommend them.

Dear Mark,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review! I am always happy to hear that our efforts have led to a satisfied customer.

Owner/Operator

S.Wilson
S.Wilson

Chimney repair

Very pleased with the work done; chimney now stable for many more years. The rebuild was done in 3 days inspite of the rainy weather and all areas left clean after job completed.
On site and office people very pleasant to deal with. Will recommend.

Dear Ms. Wilson,
Thank you for taking the time to post the great review! It is very rewarding to everyone in the company to know that our efforts are appreciated.
Company Owner

Joe from Toronto
Joe from Toronto

Great friendly service

Adam was great. He removed a squirrel’s nest and cleaned the chimney and now we have fire! He was prompt, professional and very friendly. He offered some suggestions, alerted us to some safety precautions and was just genuinely nice. We will use them again next year for sure.

Hi Joe.
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I started this company 40 years ago, and am now getting my son Adam ready to move into a leadership role. I am very proud of him, and happy to know that he is so well received by the customers. Cheers.

Raymond Ray
Raymond Ray

Good Services

They did very professional services and clean our chimney also did some extra work under same cost they also inspected chimney interior very very professionally . We definitely recommend this compnay to every one.

Mr. Ray - Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review! We look forward to working for you again in the future.

Chimney Rebuild

I have requested quote from a total of three companies to rebuild the top half of my chimney and Top Hat's quote was the most competitive. They showed up on time and did not leave any mess behind. I am satisfied with its workmanship. They even gave me a free metal rain shield.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We always appreciate the feedback.

Michelle in Toronto
Michelle in Toronto

Chimney Sweeping

Efficient, thorough and informative. Adam was great and so was response time when I called for booking to my appointment. Will use them again as we use our fireplace a lot!!

Thank you for the review Michelle. It will be a pleasure to work for you again in the future... we often offer discounts in the spring for past customers.

Ben in Toronto
Ben in Toronto

Chimney Sweeping

Steve and his wonderful team have now cleaned my chimney twice. Just when I thought there was no way they could do better than the first time, they came and outdid themselves the second time. They are cost-effective, leave no mess, and are pleasant to deal with. I'll never use another company!

Wow...I think that I could use you in our marketing department...LOL. Thank you for the great review !

Debs14 in Toronto
Debs14 in Toronto

Chimney Sweep

I was extremely satisfied with the service provided by Top Hat Chimney. It was very cost effective and the service was still top quality. I will definetly recommend and use Top Hat Chimney again in the future.

Thank you for the review Debs. Much of our business comes from word of mouth, so any recommendations to others are always appreciated.

More about Top Hat Chimney

Standing above the roofline, chimneys are fully exposed to rain and snow and are affected by winter's freeze/thaw cycles. They are therefore one of the first places on a house to deteriorate. This deterioration usually takes many years to begin but then progresses rapidly. Cracked or spalled bricks, damaged flue tiles or concrete caps, or a leaning structure are signs that the chimney needs immediate attention.

Top Hat Chimney specializes in all aspects of chimney repair and rebuilding. Our brick masons are unsurpassed in their level of expertise, and take pride in their workmanship. They take great care to protect the roof and ground so that all work will be completed in a clean and safe manner.

All of our work is guaranteed against defect in materials and workmanship.

We are happy to provide references from other satisfied customers in your area.

The burning of wood leaves highly flammable deposits in the chimney flue and smoke chamber. Regular cleaning and inspection are essential in the prevention of chimney fires.

All of our expert technicians are WETT certified and employ the most up-to-date chimney cleaning techniques. Care is always taken to insure that there is no mess in the home.

A basic chimney sweep includes :

- cleaning of the chimney flue, smoke chamber, and smoke shelf
- damper adjustment
- basic inspection.

Also Available :

- nest and blockage removal
- detailed WETT reports
- chimney caps and accesories
- special rates for multi-unit properties