Sonoma Contracting

Basement Renovation
39 Commonwealth Rd Barrie ON L4M OE1
HomeStars  >  Basement Renovation in Barrie  >  Sonoma Contracting
How well a company responds to Quote Requests and Reviews.

Reviews for Sonoma Contracting

Mike and his crew helped me with a complete basement renovation. I started out with a musty basement and his company transformed it into a very warm and wonderful living space. They first dropped the floor and gutted the basement right down to the studs. They also had to replace all water, sewage etc. piping and electrical work. Everything had to be changed in order to bring this basement up to code.

Thank you Mike for all your hard work.

Sakina

@charlestam
6 reviews Aurora, ON

Mike and his team of miracle workers were able to turn our dusty basement into an amazing play area for the kids (and play area for the kids at heart aka. mom and dad). I'd highly recommend Mike (Sonoma Contracting Ltd) for his attentive approach, flexibility and ability to visualize the most optimal solution (re-routing HVAC to get more space for example). Be sure to ask Mike first for any potential pros/cons of "design ideas" that you may have in mind (i.e. glass tiles crack and are a pain to replace, some flooring choices will warp from the water in a mop, other flooring choices are surprisingly fragile, etc.) and Mike was also fantastic at coordinating the necessary permits and inspections. He's 100% above-board, knowledgeable, experienced, trustworthy and committed, so go ask Mike! I highly recommend Mike et al. for their attention to scheduling, quality, and detail. A++

Job Price

Mike and his team did a full house renovation for us this year. They were wonderful to work with from start to finish. They were reliable, great with communication and did fantastic work. The house looks AMAZING!
We don't hesitate to recommend Sonoma to anyone and hope to work with them again soon.

Rachel in Toronto

After hearing so many horror stories regarding contractors and renovations in general, I was really apprehensive about going forward with my basement project. I'm happy to share that I lucked out in my choice of contractors and had a great experience with Sonoma.

Mike and Aldo did a wonderful job and I'm loving my basement! Not only are they reliable and fun to work with, they would offer suggestions on improving existing plans and these went a long way in enhancing the functionality of the living space. In some cases, they've even brought up minor flaws that I've missed and worked to resolve any issues to ensure that I was satisfied with the outcome.

These guys went above and beyond... Mike and Aldo - know that you're the only contractors that I'll turn to when it comes time to redo the rest of the house!

1 review King City, ON

Mike and his team are excellent! All very well experienced professionals doing great work--each and every one of them were fantastic. I highly recommend Mike and his team. How does this co have so many high ratings? They are great. I didn't know them before I read about them here. Yes, they are that good. Thanks guys! :) P.

Mike G in Barrie

We hired Mike Flammia and his team to finish our basement, as he had finished my parents' basement several years prior.
We were very pleased with Mike and his team's personal attention and suggestions to deal with specific issues (such as low ceiling combined with non-ideal HVAC layout in our case), and flexibility on certain decisions as the project progressed. The work moved along at a quick and dedicated pace. Mike and his team were also responsive in addressing our questions and concerns. I would not hesitate to recommend Sonoma Contracting to others.

George in Toronto

We had employed Sonoma a couple of years ago to finish our basement and were so happy with the whole experience that we decided to use Sonoma again to build a fence along our property line and repave part of our driveway. We needed to use someone we could trust because it was not a straightforward job: part of the fence was along the concrete pad where our (now demolished) garage used to stand, so the fence posts could not be buried in the ground, but needed to be attached to the pad. Sonoma’s owner, Mike Flammia, came out and measured and he and I talked about what we wanted the fence to look like. He also measured the area of asphalt that needed to be excavated and replaced. A few days later, we got a quote that was about what we expected to pay, and booked in the work. Everything went smoothly: Chris carried out the driveway repaving quickly and without any problems and then the wood was delivered, the fence post holes dug, and Aldo and Tony built the fence over the course of a couple of days. As with the basement, we are very happy with the whole interaction and the finished product is even better than we had hoped and Sonoma had no problems with our little idiosyncrasy - leaving the fence posts much higher than is usual.

Tracy McQ from Toronto

We got Mike’s contact from True North Underpinning, the company that we used to underpin our basement, after we had some very inflated quotes to do the finishes in the basement. We had numerous contractors come through the house and Mike was by far the most reasonable quote. Immediately we had a good feeling about Mike and his partner Aldo and after reading his Homestars reviews we felt confident hiring him. From day one we were happy with our choice. Mike and Aldo have built an impressive roster of tradespeople and every person who entered our house did a superb job. From the start, Paul (the HVAC specialist) did an impressive job with our rad lines and was able to provide guidance on how to proceed with the reno with limited detriment to our aging boiler, Alex (the painter) did a remarkable job – I have never seen such clean paint lines. Mike and Mark (The electricians) were extremely accessible when I had questions about the work and the carpenter (name?) was a bit quirky, but his work was top notch. Aldo was at our house almost every day making sure everything was going smoothly and he has a memory like an elephant! I would make the smallest suggestion or request and Aldo would remember and deliver within days. The team was also so good about managing our ever expanding scope and was able to help us with odds and sods outside of the basement renovation for a very reasonable price. We went a bit crazy with our bathroom tile and Mike did his due diligence and made sure we were aware of the cost overruns before we went ahead with the purchasing. My only real complaint was the timeline. We were expecting baby number 2 and really wanted the work complete before she came. Unfortunately we were running 2 months later than expected, but at least the super messy part of the reno was complete when the baby came. All in all the quality of work is impressive and six months after the project is complete I am still thrilled with the result. I would absolutely recommend Mike and Aldo to anyone looking to do a basement reno.

chengycheng in Toronto

We were in the market to have our old east york basement refinished so that it can be used as a guest suite. After browsing around on homestar for a while, we contacted Mike to come out to give us a quote. Right from the initial meeting, Mike was very professional and treated us with respect. He took measurements and noted what we wanted in our basement remodeling. A few days later he sent over a very detailed line by line estimate of the job.

We had a few negative experiences with some of the larger (well rated) GC companies on homestar that just brushed us off right off the bat. His price estimate was in the same ballpark as some of the other ones we've received so we went with him because of his professionalism.

What we wanted:
Waterproofing
Widen the staircase so we can fit 24" washer dryer units in.
Put in a new bathroom
New laundry room
We were also under a 2 month time line.

Based on our requirements he gave us helpful input on our vision for the new basement.

Along the way we decided to add a few things to the project and Mike’s crew gave us very reasonable prices for the add-ons.

Overall we had a very positive experience working with Sonoma contracting Inc and would recommend them.

Pros
- Handled the permits and inspection process
- Very responsive to our requests
- Polite and respectful crews
- Mike if very personable
- Made sure any concerns we had were addressed to our satisfaction
- Final cleaning service was very good.
- good quality work for all the finishes: tiles, painting, trims, doors etc.

Cons
- Sometimes things happen last minute without much heads up time.
- There were some lulls in the project where we had to ask Mike for status updates
- Had to remind the crew to put up a plastic tarp so that dust didn't get all over the house
- miscommunication about leaving the home overnight while the spray insulation off-gassed

Michelle

I contacted Mike based on the recommendation of our basement underpinning contractor and the strength of reviews I read on Homestars.

Our project required a full basement renovation, starting with the coordination of in-floor heating installation with the concrete pouring of the floor. I was very pleased with how seamlessly Mike's team worked with the TrueNorth crew. For example, one of the floor joists had to be reinforced and it had a temporary fix by the TrueNorth crew, and then finished later at a later stage by Mike's guys.

Overall, I am happy with the final results of our basement. Right off the bat, Mike recommended a layout to take advantage of the few windows we have to maximize natural light. He recommended some basic things such as installing a laundry closet instead of a laundry room to save floor space in our small basement. The quality of workmanship was excellent for wood and trim work. The foreman Aldo and the carpenter Tony were both terrific, hardworking men who took obvious pride in their work and taking care of small details. The younger man who did the bathroom tile work was less experienced and I felt that it was a little sloppy i.e. some residual mortar and grout was left around and I have had some trouble cleaning it off. Some of the tiling errors were identified by Aldo and the work had to be redone.

There were definitely some delays and issues encountered during the renovation that could not have been foreseen, mostly to do with permitting issues. While these caused added time to the duration of the overall project, Mike was good a communicating these issues with me.

There were a number of things that Mike guys took care of, or added with little to no additional cost that I have been extremely happy with. For example, he added a stair railing leading down the stairs to the basement for the inspection. He offered to leave that in place for no additonal cost and just painted it to match the stairs. At my request he also sourced some rubber treads for the stairs that have provided durability and safety.

Finally, the specialty tradesmen used by Mike were all top notch. The plumbing, hvac and electrical contractors were all outstanding and took time to explain everything that they were doing, especially if additonal added scope work increased the cost from the original estimate.

I would recommend Mike to anyone contemplating a basement renovation.

More about Sonoma Contracting

Our company is committed in providing quality service with efficiency and cost effectiveness. Upon initial request, our staff will contact you to schedule an appointment to discuss your needs. Meeting you and viewing the job is important to us as it allows us to ensure that we give an accurate assessment and reduces the risk of unforeseen problems or misunderstanding which can affect budget. Once an assessment is performed and all your options are discussed, a quote will be provided within 2 to 5 business days (depending on size of a project).

When you choose Sonama Contracing, we work with you to determine timelines. We understand that you're excited about your project’s completion and that any renovation can disrupt your home or work. For this reason, projects are scheduled and completed as efficiently as possible without compromising quality.

We know that you will be satisfied with our work because we understand that without you and word of mouth…we don’t have a business.