Shanks A & G Plumbing & Heating Ltd

Plumbing
717A Mount Pleasant Rd, 2nd Floor Toronto ON M4S 2N4
HomeStars  >  Plumbing in Toronto  >  Shanks A & G Plumbing & Heating Ltd
How well a company responds to Quote Requests and Reviews.

Reviews for Shanks A & G Plumbing & Heating Ltd

Robin at Oakwood and Vaughan

I had a frozen pipe burst exactly four weeks after moving into a new/old house and was calling around for a plumber at 1:00AM on a Sunday night. Even after shutting off the main water supply, I still had a lake about 2-3 inches deep in my basement. Jarrett of Shanks Plumbing picked up the phone and after discussing my problem with me, offered to come out right away if I wanted him to (albeit at an emergency rate)...but advised that coming in the morning would be better and cheaper because I'd shut off the water and controlled the immediate emergency. In the morning, he'd be able to see outside if he needed to, and get parts easily if needed. Jarrett suggested coming around 9AM, but when I expressed concern about not having any water until then or later, he agreed to come at 8AM. He arrived at 7:45AM, quickly found the location of the leak and did a pipe replacement (and had all the parts on hand to do so). He also replaced a certain type of valve which might have had something to do with the pipe breaking and provided some advice about insulation, etc. He answered all of my questions, cleaned up after himself, did minimal damage to the drywall, and billed me only for the hour and a half he actually worked instead of two hours like many companies do. I was completely frantic and he was calm, competent and professional, which was exactly what I needed. The price was very reasonable for the service.

GLee
9 reviews ,

We found out we had a blocked sewer drain and called Shanks to fix it. Upon meeting Mike who seemed cordial and professional, I was informed that the drain could not be fixed at all and we needed to act right away. His solution was to do an exterior excavation of a clay pipe and since his quote was cheaper than another we received, we hired him. I later found out that the method he used to clear our drain was questionable as he used a camera hose to try and clear the sewage. The next day, he informed us that the damage to the pipe extended far beyond his initial assessment and he highly recommended we remove the entire pipe for $10,000. I don't doubt that we had to remove more of the pipe and that there was significant damage done, but when I wanted to get a second opinion/estimate before we handed over this fortune, he started getting defensive. He left our property frustrated that I wanted to get another estimate for the job. We found out from other companies that he was charging a lot more than what we needed to pay, and also, he had put us in a situation where we had to act immediately, giving us no opportunity to shop around. Ultimately, I feel we were cornered into a situation and were made to believe we had no choice but to go the most expensive route. Suffice it to say we went with another more reputable company who had better ratings on homestars and found a solution that was much cheaper. I have never seen someone's personality change so fast. Moral of the story: don't trust a company based on first impressions.

David in Forest Hill

Came home to notice a blocked toilet and called Shanks right away. They sent a young man who not only cleared the blockage but informed me that my toilet was 15 years old and calcium deposits contributed to the blockage. He recommended a new toilet, I ask when he could install one and he said right away.

He not only install the new toilet but neatly took the old one away and also gave me a $60 rebate form already filled out and informed me how to get my rebate through the city.

Very pleased as always!

Diana66 Leaside

I have to disagree with "dissappointed" and "Bad Wash". I have used this company for several years, on occasion, and found that their service and work have always been above and beyond. Have used other companies in the past and not with great success. Just had a block drain fixed with this company and all was great. Will recommend to friends.

Keeping them Honest
4 reviews ,

We had our main drain replaced in our home with PVC.

GOOD: they showed up fast, got the job done quickly, did respond to calls. Mike, a master plumber, knows his stuff and is no nonsence.

BAD, expensive...granted it was "emergency" service but still feel like I was charged a heafty premium for their services. Attention to detail was lacking, namely in the cement work, which they had to come back and redo in many parts as it was substandard. Who wants to have people jack-hammer your basement floor twice. But at least they re-did it. Unfortunately, I will have to either pay someone, or do it myself to smooth out the edges where the holes in the floor were, when it should have been pretty seamless. In short, not what you should expect from a company that has been in business since 1946 with a "Good" reputation behind it. The biggest dissapointment however, is that we never got a real appology for the aggravation.

Diana from East York

The young man from Shanks spent a couple of hours on the floor of our basement bathroom, pulling stinking tree roots from the pipes and dramatically reducing the amount of sewage flowing back into the toilet. Although it was getting pretty late, he then consented to check out a problem with my kitchen sink.

Yonge and Eglinton

They came in to repace the hot water and cold water valves and hoses going into the laundry machine. Pretty simple I thought.They connected the wrong ones. Hot to cold and cold to hot. To makes matters worse they never called back when I left a message. I fixed it myself. This is after I washed my cold water washables in hot water.

Janet - Cricket Club

9.8/10

Shanks called back with the hour to set up appointment. Plumber explained where and why the plug had occured. Offered solutions to prevent further problems. I've used Shanks before and their service is excellent.

More about Shanks A & G Plumbing & Heating Ltd