Job was done well, and are (for the most part) happy with the completed project.
BUT there were issues and we are not happy with the overall customer service! And we were a little surprised that there was no final inspection or "customer satisfaction" call by Northland Paving upon completion as we have had with other companies.
1. Minor damage was done to our door when having work done to our porch which could have resulted in major damage during the first rainfall had we not noticed it. We contacted the sub-contractor directly to see if the issue could be easily rectified. No response. We told Northland Paving about it, they agreed to reimburse us for the piece we had to purchase. Had to argue for more considering the inconvenience of us having to go out purchase the piece, install the piece etc. Apparently OUR time was only worth $5. When we call the office to continue talks re: reparation, there is never a manager available and no call backs. Requests for call back via email have also not been responded to.
2. The sub-contractors van leaked oil (or some other liquid) all over our driveway. He also left cigarette butts and garbage on our driveway, lawn and in our garden. There was NO clean-up on completion.
3. The sub-contractor decided to leave our bottom stair to do at another time considering the stair had to be re-poured. Because it was done at a different time than the rest of the project, the grout lines are noticeably darker than the rest of the project. Yes, it was commented on by a visitors.
4. Having watched the process unfold I find it was Over-priced. Quoting was done via square footage. When talking with the sales guy he talked about how long the process would take, the number of days and how labour intensive it was. Most of the time is spent on drying and it did not take nearly as long as they said. I feel they misrepresented the process to justify the price OR they have an extremely high markup.
5. Lastly, office staff was very pushy re: payment. We had told them that we would be on vacation when the job was completed and would not be paying until we returned and saw the final result. Arrived home on the Sunday to find numerous messages regarding payment starting the day after completion (Thursday). Even when we mentioned the issue of the damage all they wanted to know was how and when they would be paid -- even though we were still trying to negotiate more money for the inconvenience of the damages. We paid it (in less than a week after completion) and the calls have stopped including any correspondence regarding the damages.
In response to Northland’s comments:
…and still no call back as requested. I would think if the company cared about our customer satisfaction they would have given us a call. I hope we have no issues with the concrete refacing because I doubt we will hear back from the company if we do.
Yes, we are happy overall since it looks better than it did BUT there were/are issues which was why we asked to have someone call us since the collections department said that they don’t deal with customer issues.
Also, we understand WHY our door was modified but we were at home at the time, the stripping could have easily been given to us. Instead 1.5 hours of OUR time was spent to fix the issue introduced. Travel time, time spent looking for the correct piece for our door, as well as installing the new piece as new ones did not match up to the old one etc. it was NOT a straightforward installation. $5 was an insult!!
Lastly, there were 5 messages for payment left within 3 days!!!