We had a bad experience with Spencer Contracting. We hired them to extend our chimney and install a liner during a second storey addition. We had some small issues with the mason they sent but Gordon Coleman sorted it out quickly and we thought all was well. Months later we discovered during a routine chimney inspection that the mason had installed a part which did not appear meet building code standards (the base support). It turned out it was made of the wrong kind of metal and should not have been in a wood burning fireplace where it would be exposed to flue gases (as it could leak toxic fumes). When I contacted Spencer they looked into it right away and their mason assured me the part was safe and was 'listed' even if it did not meet the building code. However I contacted the manufacturer of the part directly and they emailed me back confirming that the part was not meant to be exposed to flue gases. I gave Spencer the chance to come back and fix the problem, as long as they used another mason, but they told me it was not necesssary and everything was fine. We then were not able to pass our final building inspection due to the presence of this part. I met with Spencer contracting and told them I would be hiring another company to replace the part as I had given them a chance and they had refused. I also told Spencer that I would like them to cover the $1200 cost of replacement. They refused this offer as well and at one point actually said to me that the 'building code was out of date' and the part was fine. We had another company come in and do the work and have now passed our final inspection. I am surprised that on a contract worth $10,000 Spencer would quibble over $1200 on a potentially toxic issue, but this was indeed the case. I would not recommend Spencer Contracting and we will not be using them again.