G.H.Johnson's Trading Co. Ltd.

Furniture
950 Dupont St Toronto ON M6H 1Z2
HomeStars  >  Furniture in Toronto  >  G.H.Johnson's Trading Co. Ltd.

Reviews for G.H.Johnson's Trading Co. Ltd.

Eugene in Toronto
Eugene in Toronto

Still waiting....horrendous customer service

PLEASE READ ALL NEGATIVE REVIEWS...there's a consistent theme throughout, and sadly, true.

Avoid this place at all costs, unless you're buying something in the store directly. Custom? Forget it. Save yourself the mountain of frustrations. Customer service is non-existent. Let me give you a detailed timeline of how misleading they are.

Ordered a chair May 13, 2018. Was told it would take 6 weeks. Past the 6 mark, no call, no heads up as to why the delay. July 23rd (week 11) I receive an email saying my order is ready for delivery. July 25th, my girlfriend misses classes and waits for a 2 hour delivery window. Nothing. No phone call, no email, no explanation...nothing. Almost 3 full business days and a strongly worded email later... "oh we're so sorry but the delivery people went to pick it up, but were told it wasn't ready." Please note...I was told this July 30th, and this date will become important after the next paragraph.

Already something doesn't jive. And to anyone reading this...I will list my email below and can provide screen shots of all communication to prove how I've been mislead. But back to the story at hand.

I'm now told (July 30th email)...don't worry, we've arranged delivery for August 9th. But there's a catch. Apparently the manufacturer has closed shop for a week (Friday, July 27 until Monday, Aug 6). Hold on..so either my order was never ready and they pruposley mislead me or management told their communications person, "Yeah yeah...go ahead and just tell him it's ready, we want his cash." (when in fact ...it's not). So how can you promise an order will arrive on a date when you can't even get a hold of the manufacturer to see if the order is ready? Because this communications person was out of the office between the 25th (expected delivery date) until the 30th, past when the manufacturer (Statum Design) shuts down. I had emailed this person the day of the delivery - past the window (25th) and twice on the 30th (the second email was the strongly worded one. Somehow I doubt it was made in a 2-day window.

I will give the communications person this - ever since my many complaints, email correspondence has been steady and frequent. Nothing from Patrick at all though, and he was cc'd in all emails. Surprise surprise. Go read all the other negative reviews about how he conducts business...you'll see the trend. When I complained to one person on the phone (and nearly lost my sh*t) the tone in their voice and the way they responded sounded like "Yeah of course it's not right...you as a customer don't deserve this."

Trust me...all the negative comments have some truth to them, especially the ones that say they are quick to take your money but won't bother to let you know what's going on and will leave you hanging. When I had to pay the balance oh man were they lightening fast at processing my credit card. It was quite incredible....AND MY CHAIR HAD NOT EVEN BEEN MADE!!! They're supposed to collect the balance after it's ready.

If you want to buy something ready made in the shop...sure. I ordered a bookshelf and it got there in reasonable time. If you want something made...AVOID AVOID AVOID. Never again do I want anything to do with this store.

Think about it...most places that have a stellar reputation have something in common. Many 5 star reviews...followed by many 4s, a few 3s, and a rare scattering of 2s and the odd 1. Go back and see how many 1 star reviews there are in proportion to the total. Not only that...how detailed they are. That right there should tell you something.

I will update this again if and when my chair arrives (written July 31, 2018). [email protected] <--- if you need any further info, which I am oh so happy to provide.

Great prices and great products

Have been purchasing from this company for 20 years. All purchases were easy. Sales people were helpful and straightforward.
Really happy with the great quality of the two sofas we purchased. Was back today to shop again. Always amazed with their great prices.

Modern Sectional at the best price

We had decided we wanted a particular sectional (statum designs) and had selected our fabric and all the details. Decided to call GH Johnson and they beat the best price by a lot. Delivered it in time. There was one issue (the legs were the wrong wood) and they had someone come within a couple of days to switch them up for us. Great service and prices! Will definitely shop here again.

Luvableleo  in Toronto
Luvableleo in Toronto

Customer Service

This company is a joke. All I can say is they have the gift of the gab, they will promise to take care of everything for you, you're in the best hands ... until you've paid for your purchase. Then, all customer service goes in the toilet. From the delivery men showing up smelling like booze, to the constant excuses why the purchase was delayed by over 3 weeks after the original scheduled delivery date.

Come 5 months later the sofa and love seat started developing body impressions. Filed warranty claim in January. The worst experience of my life to date. Apparently a replacement order had been filed and would take 8 weeks to deliver. Those 8 weeks came and went and apparently nobody thought it was important to notify me that the items were not coming. So I called. Was told another couple weeks. Ok ... so I wait. And call back in a couple weeks. Another excuse. Another couple of weeks. And so this has gone on. Over and over. The countless phone calls to that company and being told it's been taken care of. Dealing with Pat Johnson is useless as he has no time to explain anything. He has hung up on me countless times and finally he told me If I call again he'd cancel it all together. As of now, I still haven't received a replacement for the defective one, nor an expected delivery date.
I am now trying to deal with the manufacturer directly, as this company CLEARLY does not have any intention of following through on promises.
PLEASE do yourself a favour and avoid this place like the plague. Pat and his silver tongue will promise you the moon, but don't ever expect delivery.

Horrible customer service

Regret buying a couch from this store. It was promised to arrive after 8 weeks but it arrived a month later. We always had to initiate contact to get an update and promised they would call back in two minutes which turned into a week. In retrospect, we should gone with their competitor. The extra money for the delivery would have been worth it rather than deal with GH Johnson and the owner , Pat.

Purchased sofa

My partner and I stopped in as we have driven past it several times and were intrigued. I can't say much for the service we received. We had to chase people around to get their attention despite having made eye contact with several of the employees working on the floor. We were patient and looked around the showroom. Approximately 30mins into our visit we were approached and asked if we had any questions. We were looking for a sofa and there were 2 that we were interested in. We decided on one and were given a discount as it was the only one left. We had expressed concerns as the buttons on the tufted seat were off center but were reassured that If we wanted it, they would have the cushion serviced to correct it. I asked about the warranty and was told that "they stand by their product", which is apparently sales-speak for NO. They were more than happy to accommodate once we decided to take it.

-UPDATE-

Since delivery:

1. The cushion was not serviced as we were told it would be.
2. Since we've had the sofa (3 weeks), several of the buttons have just popped off the cushions
3. We have sent several emails to customer service and haven't received a single response
4. We have called several times and were told that we needed to call back in 10 mins to speak to Mark Johnson regarding the issues. Mr. Johnson is apparently never in the office and has not once returned any of our calls.

BEWARE - They will sell you a dud and then cut off communication once they have your money.

Olivia in Toronto
Olivia in Toronto

Amazing Customer Service!!

We purchased 2 high end sofa's for a fraction of the cost. The pricing at GH Johnson is very reasonable for what you get. They have a great selection of furniture. We live out of town and the pieces purchased were delivered with no problems. Overall I was very satisfied and would highly recommend GH Johnson.

Mike Who in Toronto
Mike Who in Toronto

Bedroom set, sofa, dining set

I have been shopping at GH Johnson's since 2001. I first bought furniture for personal use and then bought furniture for my rental business. Spent over $500,000 to date.
Pat and his team have been exceptional.
Much appreciate all the effort they put into servicing my needs: delivery, store credit. Furniture price, quality have been outstanding. The delivery personnel are hard working and respectful. My sales rep for the last few years has been Pat's son Mark. High praise for his work ethic on my account.
Recommend.

Laura in Oakwood and St Clair
Laura in Oakwood and St Clair

Furniture

This has to be the worse company I have ever dealt with. I ordered a complete dining set as well as, a bedroom suite. I had originally planned more but, it became obvious that this company promises they will "take care of you" and never do. It was originally supposed to take 5 weeks to receive the dining furniture (I was told this multiple times by the owner Pat) it took 10 weeks! I was assured that the absolute maximum amount of time was 6 weeks. When 6 weeks came and went I called and they said, who told you 5 weeks it will be at least 10! I had explained that a special event was planned and that I had been told without doubt that the furniture would arrive before this event. I spoke to multiple people including the owner several times and then finally got a gentleman on the phone who said, "they promise you whatever you ask to get the sale". He was sorry for my trouble. The furniture for both rooms was supposed to arrive at the same time so, there would be one delivery fee. That was another joke! When I spoke to a lady she said, my delivery for my furniture would be two separate days and therefore, two separate charges. This meant I had to take two days off of work! So, almost $300 in delivery fees and missed wages my furniture arrived! But, that isn't the end of the story! The furniture that arrived wasn't what I ordered and it was damaged to boot! The quality wasn't what I had been shown! I called immediately both times as well as, emailed both the owner and his son, Mark. Amazingly, no one would return my calls. When I finally did speak to the owner he told me, "I'm going to take care of you". If you have dealt with these guys this is their favorite saying. 5 months later I still have the wrong furniture that is not the quality I ordered and is broken and damaged!!! I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone not even someone I didn't like! Also, I wanted to add that they charged my credit card again after I had paid in full without my consent or authorization. They would not reverse the charge and gave excuses and finally stopped returning my calls. I found it very suspicious while reading positive reviews that some of the reviewers had the same names as sales team members and family. I wonder about the validity of these positive reviews when my own experience was so, horrible. To date I have stayed home 7 separate days for deliveries scheduled and repair services that never happened. I can't believe this company is still in business!!

tiger in Oakville
tiger in Oakville

safa

this company is a nightmare, I have to sue them to get my money back! When I place order I give them 3000 payment upfront, but the order never complete, and they never pickup the phones after they get your money! this company is very very bad, not honesty

More about G.H.Johnson's Trading Co. Ltd.

G. H. Johnson's is a privately owned family busines founded in 1946; our first store in the market district of Otawa was an eclectic mix of new, used, and surplus furniture. G. H. Johnson's Toronto store blends its own product line with those of manufacturers from the U. S. , ...