Mark Goger Stone Work

Reviews for Mark Goger Stone Work

Mr. B. in Whitby
Mr. B. in Whitby

Stone work done professionally

Mark's scope included new stone finish for our old concrete front stair, lifting and relaying interlocking pavers on our walkway, building a new retaining wall and connected steps in our backyard. Mark pre-ordered all required material, the work was started and completed as scheduled. Mark explained his proposed solution at each workphase to us in detail. The finished product looks excellent. Thanks Mark!

Thank you, Mr. B! The parameters were certainly tight for your project, but with your help as well as your wife's, we were able to make it come together quite well. Thanks again for taking the time to write this review!

Aron Dunn from Toronto
Aron Dunn from Toronto

Backyard Landscaping D

My partner and I worked with Mark to excavate and landscape our backyard in the summer of 2018. The previous summer we removed an old fence that effectively doubled the space of the yard. We needed the design and implementation of Mark's stonework to accommodate living, parking and utility spaces in a narrow downtown backyard. Mark was wonderful to work with. He had great ideas about design and materials while being very collaborative and accommodating of our ideas and needs for the space. He was very professional and efficient. He helped craft a solution that worked with our budget. He and his crew executed the design swiftly and effectively. We're so happy with our new back yard. I'd definitely hire Mark again to do work on other parts of our property.

Thanks very much for that, Aron. I admit that I enjoy working small backyard city spaces like yours. There is no room for non-functional ideas! So, yeah, efficiency and elegance are what matter. This applies everywhere in my view, but your willingness to collaborate and rationally address the space helped bring this view to fruition in your backyard. See you around the neighbourhood . . . !

Ben in Toronto
Ben in Toronto

Astonishing Front Walkway

Mark created our new flagstone walkway, and the rockery edging that blends into the existing interlock driveway.

We really appreciate Mark's distinctive layout style that creates pleasant flowing lines and interesting colour combinations.

There are some nice details, especially the elegantly shaped step out to the driveway, and where the flagstones meet up with existing hardscaping such as the interlocking and the concrete steps.

Mark was really great to work with, and came with plenty of solutions on how to deal with fit and integration issues specific to our job.

Thank you, Ben. Your openness, and your appreciation of the aesthetic possibilities that come with some old-fashioned random flagstone led to, I think, a very pleasing result. Finding the right stone for the right place is key. It takes time, but leads to harmony and flow - and little saw cutting or wastage! It was good to work with you!

Bob & Marney in Scarborough
Bob & Marney in Scarborough

New Patio

We googled several companies that specialized in stonework to replace a 50 year old 538 sq. ft. patio plus a section at the back of the garage. We chose Mark strictly because of the complimentary reviews given by previous happy customers and pictures of his work. Mark & his assistants did not disappoint. They proved to be everything their customers said of them, warm, easy to work with, good price and paid meticulous attention to detail leaving the job site clean at the end of the day. Mark also stepped out of his comfort zone working with stone to take on another project for us which turned out to be equally satisfying.
We would highly recommend Mark to anyone looking for excellent workmanship. I would call him again in a heart beat. He does not disappoint.

Trish in Toronto
Trish in Toronto

Backyard walkway and sitting area

Mark did such a beautiful job on my backyard, plus he’s a really nice guy.
He’s an artist and craftsman who takes great pride in his work. It was a true collaboration, as he listened to what I had in mind, but was also able to advise me on design aspects that I was unsure about. A real professional, and a mensch to boot.

Thanks, Trish. I do find that collaboration helps ensure that the best solutions are found and that good things gets done. You helped make it easy - and a pleasure!

C. Wendt in Toronto
C. Wendt in Toronto

Stone entrance-walkway

We recently had the pleasure of working with Mr. Mark Goger.
We contacted Mark for an estimate to install a natural stone front walkway.
He responded the same day was able to promptly provide us a clear and fair estimate… that in itself was a welcome change from other contractor experiences. The dedication and artistry in his approach was most refreshing.
He also worked cleanly and fast… and always with a sense of humour. It was this refreshing work ethic and the excellent quality of the finished project that we really appreciated.
We highly recommend him “officially” on Homestars… and have unofficially recommended him to all of our neighbours who’ve complimented the work as they pass by our house.
Thank you again, Mark.
Cathy & Adam, Toronto

Thanks so much for your review, Cathy and Adam. It was great working with you. Your attention to detail, your appreciation of the beauty of the stone and how it can be worked, and your helpful input made the circumstances ideal. Thank you for having me!

East York Homeowner  in Old Toronto
East York Homeowner in Old Toronto

Beautiful retaining wall!

Mark was highly recommended to me by a neighbour who had hired Mark to do some stone work in her front garden. Mark built an absolutely beautiful stone retaining wall for my house. He was very easy to work with, friendly, on-time and on-budget. I have gotten many complements on the wall in the short time that it's been up. I would absolutely recommend Mark.

Thank you! It is a moderately small natural stone wall, but it does seem to have a significant effect. It was a pleasure working with you and to be back in your very friendly neighbourhood.

AL in North york
AL in North york

Perfect 10 for stone walkway repair!

Very pleased to have found Mark's company on HomeStars for the repair of my crumbling natural stone walkway between driveway and front porch... He was always courteous, punctual and professional before and during the job, as well as keeping me informed of the options available. I find Mark to be a thorough, detailed-oriented artisan who is skilled and obviously takes pride in what he does. Honest and upfront about his fees, which I believe is fairly reasonable. Absolutely no hesitation to recommend his services to my family and neighbours. 10 out of 10 Stars!!

Thank you for your very kind review, Alan. It is always somewhat surprising, I think, how a simple but sagging natural stone walk can be returned to its original beauty with a little bit of attention. It was nice to meet you too!

Rachel in Toronto
Rachel in Toronto

Urban backyard stonework

I found Mark on Homestars. It was purely coincidence that he was doing stonework less than a block from my house.

When he first met, I found him to have a lovely, easy going manner and he asked me lots of good questions about my overall vision for the backyard. He was collaborative, and moreover, communicative about the process and the timing of the work. It was on time and on budget.

I am absolutely thrilled with the work Mark and his gang did and I would hire him again in a heartbeat.

Yes - what a fortuitous coincidence! Lucky for me, as it was a pleasure to meet and work with you. You made it easy and I am very pleased that you are happy with the results. Thank you for your kind words.

John in Toronto
John in Toronto

Back Yard - paver base for garden shed

I rarely take time to write reviews - but since I found the HomeStars reviews to be so helpful - and found Mark Goger to be so outstanding, I felt it was important to share my experience. Mark is a true professional and a gentleman. Answered all my questions (very knowledgeable) and gave great recommendations. He came quickly to see the site and gave an estimate (very fair price) and also got the job done quickly and more importantly - perfectly level and square. It looks great and we are so happy with all aspects of his work - including the appropriate use of high performance bedding (due to our proximity to a big tree). Recommend without reservation. Thanks again Mark!

Thanks, John!
It was a pleasure to do that for you. Sometimes the simplest thing is the best! I am so pleased it worked out well for you.
Mark

More about Mark Goger Stone Work

Since 1991 Mark has been honing his skills working with natural stone in a landscaping setting. Mark's traditional approach to flagstone patios and walkways, steps and retaining walls means that the tools of choice are chisel and hammer.

This means a dramatic reduction in noise and stone-dust when compared to saw heavy work, but it also means a deeper understanding of the quality and nature of stone and of the character of the space it is designed to inhabit.