Mark Goger Stone Work

Toronto ON

Reviews for Mark Goger Stone Work

AL in North york
AL in North york

Perfect 10 for stone walkway repair!

Very pleased to have found Mark's company on HomeStars for the repair of my crumbling natural stone walkway between driveway and front porch... He was always courteous, punctual and professional before and during the job, as well as keeping me informed of the options available. I find Mark to be a thorough, detailed-oriented artisan who is skilled and obviously takes pride in what he does. Honest and upfront about his fees, which I believe is fairly reasonable. Absolutely no hesitation to recommend his services to my family and neighbours. 10 out of 10 Stars!!

Thank you for your very kind review, Alan. It is always somewhat surprising, I think, how a simple but sagging natural stone walk can be returned to its original beauty with a little bit of attention. It was nice to meet you too!

Rachel in Toronto
Rachel in Toronto

Urban backyard stonework

I found Mark on Homestars. It was purely coincidence that he was doing stonework less than a block from my house.

When he first met, I found him to have a lovely, easy going manner and he asked me lots of good questions about my overall vision for the backyard. He was collaborative, and moreover, communicative about the process and the timing of the work. It was on time and on budget.

I am absolutely thrilled with the work Mark and his gang did and I would hire him again in a heartbeat.

Yes - what a fortuitous coincidence! Lucky for me, as it was a pleasure to meet and work with you. You made it easy and I am very pleased that you are happy with the results. Thank you for your kind words.

John in Toronto
John in Toronto

Back Yard - paver base for garden shed

I rarely take time to write reviews - but since I found the HomeStars reviews to be so helpful - and found Mark Goger to be so outstanding, I felt it was important to share my experience. Mark is a true professional and a gentleman. Answered all my questions (very knowledgeable) and gave great recommendations. He came quickly to see the site and gave an estimate (very fair price) and also got the job done quickly and more importantly - perfectly level and square. It looks great and we are so happy with all aspects of his work - including the appropriate use of high performance bedding (due to our proximity to a big tree). Recommend without reservation. Thanks again Mark!

Thanks, John!
It was a pleasure to do that for you. Sometimes the simplest thing is the best! I am so pleased it worked out well for you.
Mark

Back gaden patio(s) and stone walkway

"I first took admiring note of Mark’s fine work while watching him and his team create a beautiful walkway for a neighbour’s property. After several days of observing that project take shape, I knew I had to ask for his card! I’d had two other stoneworkers quote on our back garden project. The first person’s quote was so low that I doubted his professionalism. The second was ridiculously high and out of the question. Mark’s quote was just and fair. From our first meeting until our final goodbyes, Mark was a quintessential pro, with obvious, learned know-how and authentic concern for client satisfaction. In a warm and friendly way, he listened attentively to what we envisioned and why we wanted what we wanted. Mark "got” us right away/what we were trying to create, and then he made our 10-year-old dream come true! Mark and his team created an amazing flagstone patio adjacent to the back wall of our home, that then tapered and meandered into a substantial length of poetic walkway, that then widened again at the bottom of our yard into another patio. What Mark does as a profession is not merely lay patio stones, but rather, creates outdoor floor art. I watched him muse and contemplate and pensively study his stone selections and layout for minutes at a time, every day, just staring at the ground. Thinking. Figuring. Pacing. Chiseling. And then doing and creating. It was quite marvellous to quietly witness this process from my window. Lol, it reminded me of the contemporary artist Jackson Pollock’s technique. The Goger team arrived promptly each day, worked hard and stayed until a proper end of day (not a “banker’s hours” end of day, like so many other professionals in the trades of home improvement). They were always, always polite, dependable, diligent, hardworking, efficient and tidy. In short, they were/are pros. And Mark threw in his quirky sense of humour and knowledge of old movies as a bonus, too! We are so in love with our backyard now, thanks to Mark’s lovely creation, and have taken great pride showing our new, magical, storybook-looking garden to our friends, neighbours and family (who all say, “Wow wee!!! THIS is beautiful! And some, lol, even say they are jealous, too). ;) If you want stonework in your garden that’s unique and timeless—not some boring old, bland and predictable, cookie-cutter stonework that gets the job done, but has no pizzazz or personality/that just lays there—I highly, and with ease, recommend Mark Goger Stonework for your garden project. Mark is a unique individual who creates unique, beautiful and artful hardscapes. Feel free to call me if you’d like further details regarding my reference and recommendation of Mark’s work. I could wax poetic for days!"

P. S. Here are a few pics of our back garden project still in progress. Stonework done! Next, the landscaping!

Thanks so much, Nina. It must have taken as much time to write that lovely and thoughtful review as it did to lay the flagstone! It was a real pleasure working with you. Responses like yours really make one feel good about the work that one does. Thanks again!

Stuart in North York, Ontario
Stuart in North York, Ontario

Front Step recovering

Mark covered up our concrete stairs with stone that has completely transformed our front entryway. His finished product is exactly what we were looking for, and his price beat out the other quotes we got by a decent margin.

It took about 2 weeks from start to finish because Mark squeezed us in between other jobs to try to hit a deadline of our family visiting, and it rained a lot. He'd show up for a few hours before/after another job to try to get it done, but he always cleaned up afterwards so we never felt like we were living in a construction zone. Very professional and clean, and the finished product couldn't look any better.

The picture below is from the second to last day, the stairs were blocked off while the mortar cured.

Thanks very much for the review, Stuart. I am glad we could accommodate you during that busy and rainy period! And I am certainly happy that you are pleased with the results!

krista from Toronto
krista from Toronto

Backyard flagstone and garden

Hired Mark to add flagstone and gardens to our backyard. From the minute we met him, he was a dream to work with. He got to know us and what we envisioned. He was inspired by our wee yard when other companies would not even bother coming to give us a quote. We also had his lovely partner, Jenny, plant gardens for us and the yard turned out even better than we had hoped. He was honest, communicative, timely and an all around lovely person to work with. Cannot recommend him enough.

Wow, Krista. Thank you very much. It was great working with you both. And it was rewarding to see how a little work, well, more than a little I guess, and collaboration, and some natural stone, can transform a modest site into a really nice space to be in! Again, many thanks to you and Elie.

Robert in Mississauga
Robert in Mississauga

Rock Garden

We'd had a flower garden of sorts beneath two pine trees in our front yard that always begged for a better presentation. Photos of Mark's work attracted our attention as displaying the kind of thoughtful and unique handiwork we were looking for. Our expectations were more than met with the finished product. The choice and arrangement of stone (moss rock, in this case) and the rearrangement of plants resulted in a design that was perfect for the site. See before/after photos. We look forward to our next project with Mark!

Thanks so much, Robert. So much can often be accomplished with a simple application of the right stone to create function and harmony. You and Teresa are quite a ways out for me, but it was a fun project and it was nice to meet and work with you both!

patersonkristen
patersonkristen

Beautiful stone patio

Mark did a wonderful job on our stone back patio. He has a real passion for his work and the landscape in which he is working with. His work was maticulous and he was quick and clean. Mark did a beautiful job at a fair price and I would absolutely recommend him.

Thanks very much, Kristin. It took some discussion to find the best solution for your backyard needs, but in the end you and I settled on a plan that filled the bill quite beautifully, I think. It was a real pleasure working that process with you. Nice people can make it easy.

Louis D.
Louis D.

Complete backyard landscaping with plants and stone.

Mark Goger's work is superb. He combines artistry with masterful skills. Plus, he has a strong sense of personal integrity. This is a man who always makes your best interests and needs his top priority. He is a professional you will hire again and again for first class work.

Hey, thanks Louis. I think good relationship is essential. Working with great people helps make everything come together. So: Thank you!

Michael
Michael

Stone work

Mark did a wonderful job removing an uninspiring concrete slab and retaining wall in our front yard with a beautifully crafted natural stone curved wall, India flagstone walk and garden. The result is a beautiful front yard that is frequently the subject of compliments from neighbors and passerbys. You can tell that Mark enjoys his craft as evidenced by the care and attention to detail he demonstrates while performing the work. I would definitely recommend him to anyone considering stone work.

Thanks very much, Mike. I really appreciated that you were interested in the possibilities with natural stone, were engaged in the process and trusted us to carry it out. It was a pleasure working with you and - what friendly neighbours you have!

More about Mark Goger Stone Work

Since 1991 Mark has been honing his skills working with natural stone in a landscaping setting. Mark's traditional approach to flagstone patios and walkways, steps and retaining walls means that the tools of choice are chisel and hammer.

This means a dramatic reduction in noise and stone-dust when compared to saw heavy work, but it also means a deeper understanding of the quality and nature of stone and of the character of the space it is designed to inhabit.