Langstaff & Sloan Inc

416-503-2033
300 New Toronto Street - Unit 6
Toronto
M8V 2E8

I had a bunch of electrical jobs piling up - install a thermostat, replace a dimmer switch, install a new ceiling light - so I called Langstaff & Sloan. I had used them to rewire my house 9 years ago and found they were excellent.
Vic came to my house the day after I called and completed the jobs in 2 hours. I had the items I wanted installed ready to go, and Vic finished them efficiently, while taking time to explain what he was doing and looking for signs of any other problems in the circuits.
Hiring Langstaff & Sloan is money well spent.

Kevin in Toronto
Kevin in Toronto

Knob and Tube Removal.

I had Langstaff and Sloan remove some knob and tube wiring from my very old home I recently bought in Corso Italia in Toronto. I am more than pleased with the work they did for me. They were very professional, quick and respectful to me and and my wife. I was initially worried this kind of work would have involved ripping the walls out and been invasive, but they were able to make a few small holes, remove/replace the old writing and add additional outlets. They quickly replaced the and repaired the walls with very good quality work! Again very pleased with these guys!

Jody in Etobicoke
Jody in Etobicoke

Knob and Tube Removal

We have lived in our Long Branch home for 37 years knowing that since it was built in 1939 there would likely be knob and tube wiring along with possible patching of addition circuits since. Once a breaker started to trip I asked my neighbour who they used about 10 years ago for a similar situation. It was then that we contacted Robert at Langstaff and Sloan. His evaluation showed that all 3 levels of our home did have knob and tube. There was no up sell and he explained that with plaster walls there would be a great deal of dust. As things happen, just 2 weeks before the job was to happen Toronto Hydro inspected our delivery wire to the home and shut off the power. Robert rearranged his day and pulled electricians from another project to take care of us the same afternoon.
Our planned project was handled smoothly by Vic and his team completed on time and budget giving us a heads up each day as to what comes next. The nightly clean up was better than we every could have expected considering how much dust comes from opening holes and removing ceiling panels in the basement. Everything was replaced and paint ready. The crew arrived promptly at 8 AM each of 5 days and left towards 5 PM after the clean up. We certainly will recommend Langstaff and Sloan to others and stay with them if we ever need professional electrical help once more.

Thank you again Jody! I will share this with everyone involved. We really appreciate your business.

Extend 220V Electrical Outlet

Electrician came in to my condo unit to move a 220V electrical outlet a few inches down. It took about 30 minutes just to determine that he had to use an extension rather than move the electrical outlet down since the wall was concrete. He should have been able to determine this in about 5 minutes. Adding the extension cable then took 45 more minutes to complete. Rob mentioned over the phone that 90% of the time these things are done within an hour tops. Instead, it seemed like the electrician dawdled to be able to bill for the extra hour, which made these guys the 2nd most expensive option of the 6 that I had. For a simple task such as this, you could go with any of the other options.

I'm sorry you are not happy with our service. When you called in I did ask if it was a partition wall or solid. You did not know, but agreed to time and material and our terms. I paid the Electrician to buy parts for both scenarios, and we did not charge for this time. Downtown condos always have additional challenges such as parking, travel and time needed to actually get in your condo.

mike in Toronto Metropolitan Area
mike in Toronto Metropolitan Area

Pot Lights, Outlets and Rewire

I met with Rob and Matt for a estimate and was immediately impressed, they took the time to understand what I wanted, providing many helpful suggestions on how to achieve my vision, and went to great lengths to be sure id be happy with the locations and style of pot lights installed (I was very concerned about the light quality of LED). Once Matt and his team started the job they were efficient and respectful to my home, creating the least amount of holes (patching any holes they made) and giving a good clean before the end of every day. The final result was beautiful, I could barely recognise my house they did such an exquisite job, and all for a very reasonable cost. I would highly recommend Langstaff & Sloan.

Thanks Mike! Your business and kind words are really appreciated.

John in Playter Estates
John in Playter Estates

Replacing Knob & Tube Wiring

Have no illusions, rewiring an old house without renovating is challenging, intrusive, dirty and disruptive. However, the Langstaff & Sloan crew make it as fast and painless as possible. It’s a big job: 700 meters of wire, 67 lights, receptacles and switches; 38 holes cut in ceilings and walls in almost every room; a new panel; about 225 hours of work over six days. Now 9 rooms to repaint in whole or in part. The crew (7 in total) were competent, professional, very creative, cooperative and flexible. After painting and all the disruption, we will have literally “nothing to show for it” but electrical systems that are robust, legal and safe.

Thanks John! Homes with 3 stories plus a basement are always a challenge. I will make sure the guys know you have taken the time to post such a positive review online. It really helps us a lot.

Edna from Etobicoke
Edna from Etobicoke

Dimming Lights

I had experienced dimming lights in my house for some time, and contacted Langstaff and Sloan on the recommendation of my neighbour. Vic arrived promptly on time and was able to identify the problem very quickly. The main breaker in the electrical panel was at fault. He was able to get an e-permit from Toronto Hydro in record time and replaced the main breaker. He also gave me lots of advice on electrical matters in my home. On discovering that the breakers in the panel may be on a recall list, Rob Sloan took a lot of time to help me address this matter. I will certainly be calling them the next time I need an electrician!

Thank you Edna.

B. Fenlon
B. Fenlon

3 Hours Late. Moved At A Snails Pace. Grossly Over-billed.

Not a good experience. Electrician showed up 3 hours late. Proceeded to chat my ear off while moving at a snails pace. Had a ceiling light fan, thermostat and baseboard heater wired. Had purchased and unpacked everything prior to electrician arriving. Had removed old thermostat. Bill was over $600. Should have cost half that amount. Ridiculous! When they were forwarded the email I sent the person that referred them to me, there was no refund whatsoever. I sell real estate for a living and many people ask me for electrician referrals. They lost my business that is for sure. ... Just an UPDATE - FYI - the exterior outlet installed by the Langstaff and Sloan electrician at my town house condo caught fire on December 24th 2017 (months after being installed brand new). Noticed smoke billowing outside my backyard patio door. Luckily I was home! The entire outlet melted, the interior wall was hot to the touch and my basement smelled like burnt rubber for 3 days. I noticed the smoke and cut the power to the town-house. Proceeded to wrap the exposed/burnt wires with electrical tape. I finally had repaired today (months later) and was told by the electrician I had to pay to remedy that the previous electrician had used an INTERIOR outlet - not the exterior outlet that has more screws to property affix to brick exterior wall. Not only was I overcharged by Langstaff and Sloan, but I had to pay an additional $110 to another electrician to remedy their shoddy work. This could have been a major fire had I not been home!

Sorry Ben, I entered the call on the wrong day in our electronic calendar, and to make matters worse no one was in our office that morning. Since you have declined a discount all I can offer is a sincere apology.

Sue L.
Sue L.

Replace/removal of tube and knob wiring in my home

Every room in my home was affected. From the experienced estimate given by Rob, the crew doing the actual work, I can't say enough positive about the work done by all concerned. To my surprise I had power each day (job took 4 full days), met with Supervisor Brad each morning for update on what was to happen. This helped me immensely to understand what was being done. Clean up was done daily which I really appreciated. At all times my home was respected by all crew members and final result was very little damage done. Small areas that were affected were left in paint ready condition which took me all of half an hour paint touch up and I was back to condition before the job was started. Would highly recommend Langstaff & Sloan to family and friend in future. Thanks for a great job done guys & special thanks to Rob for answering all my questions.

Sue L from Etobicoke April 3, 2016

Thank you for our business Sue! We really appreciate your high praise since your Father was an Electrician too.
Rob S.

Mike in Toronto
Mike in Toronto

House move electical diagnostic and resolution

We moved to the GTA in Aug this year (2015) and had warning through the home inspection that the house may need some electrical work.

Langstaff & Sloane came recommended, and I can whole heartedly pass on that recommendation to anyone looking for home electrical work.

The team were professional, diagnosed and found solutions to some complicated historical wiring problems, refused to take shortcuts and left everything in perfect working order.

The only downside was we had to wait 3-4 weeks for appointments, but I took that as a good sign and wasn't disappointed.

Thanks Mike! I always post the reviews at our office and the guys really enjoy the positive feedback.

More about Langstaff & Sloan Inc

Since 1991 we have provided professional electrical contracting services in the GTA. In 1994 we were designated one of four contractors participating in Toronto Hydro's Meter Relocation Program and helped develop a similar but expanded program for Etobicoke Hydro. Ultimately we became one of four "Authorized Contractors" of Toronto Hydro ...