I chose Hudson Movers based on past experience - two very successful prior moves with them. This third move (yesterday) was just as good. Four super guys who were efficient, hardworking, very attentive to my needs and chivalrous too. Would I choose Hudson Movers again? Absolutely - only next time I'll hire them to do the packing as well. I've heard horror stories about other movers, and to me it only makes sense to choose the professionals, know what you're paying for, and have the peace of mind that comes with knowing your move is going to be stress free. A special shout-out to Margaret Penny, who came and did an estimate in advance, ensuring that all the important details would be taken care of. Great job!
I've used Hudson movers twice, two years in a row and cannot recommend them.
My first complaint is price. The first move was from a two bedroom apartment to a small house a kilometer away and it was 8 hrs labour and $1,100. The second time I used them I had sold a good deal of my furniture, so there was considerably less to move - again, a very short distance - just a few blocks - and it was still 8 hours labour and this time $1,500. The $400 difference, about a 37% increase, was literally two weeks shy of a year later. I found this to be exorbitant and beyond a typical annual increase.
The larger issue was damage. Several items had minor damage, but I have an antique Korean chest - the only piece of significant monetary and sentimental value (I inherited it when my parents died) - and it had a sizeable piece broken off the base. I was not told when this occurred or I would have at least looked for the piece that had broken off in the truck. Instead, it was placed against a wall in a way that hid the damage, so I didn't realize it had happened until I moved it a couple of weeks later and saw the damaged side. I called Hudson Movers and the woman I spoke with was far from apologetic. She eventually said she would look into it and call me back, but she never did. The total lack of concern I think reflects even more poorly on the company than the damage done.
In my opinion, they failed in every regard: price, service and integrity. I not only can't recommend them, I feel morally compelled to warn potential customers - they're not worth the risk.
Before the move everything seemed professional and well organized. Calls were returned promptly and everyone was friendly. On the day of the move they movers were a little slow (doing things like carrying one couch cushion at a time) but still friendly.
However after the move was finished, I was shown the bill there were extra fees that I never agreed to and refused to pay them. Someone from the company was there at the end and he told me that if I payed now he would talk to the owner to have the money refunded or at least reduced and would call be before the end of the day.
Three weeks later I have never received a call from anyone at the company. Anyone else at the company I try to explain the problem to tell me it's my fault, and then usually say the will call me back. Yup, three weeks, I've talked to several people and not one has called me back in three weeks.
I've worked in the moving industry and I've worked in the customer service industry and this company fails everywhere. It's easy to find someone better who is honest. Don't be fouled by them before your move.
I was very unhappy with the move. On the day, the truck was late, but no phone call. They needed constant instruction about which items were staying and which were going. They underestimated the number of boxes by at least half and forgot to bring wardrobe boxes. Having a agreed to pack, they sent no packers and then charged me more for having a packer on sight. The estimate for approx $2,000 more than doubled when I got the final receipt without even so much as an email or phonecall to check I was alright with the situation. They had charged my card. I was not. I had some very disagreable conversations with one of the family owners who was not particularly helpful and who ignored most of my phone calls. I finally got accounts to knock $1,000 off when they agreed the estimator should have done his job better. Not a good experience. Only positive thing I can say is that the guys doing the loading were very nice. One item was damaged, but I was so fed up with chasing back some of my money, I didn't persue this. Don't use this company.
1. Original phone quote was $900; in home estimate was $1265 (this is for a small 1 bedroom apt, 600 sq. ft.)
2. I decided not to have the extra insurance to bring the cost down to meet my budget, which brought the bill down to $1065.
2. Movers showed up half hour late on morning of move, then it took them another 15 minutes to park their truck and get started, my elevator booking was from 9-11:30 and another move was going to take place, talk about stressful.
3. They broke a piece off my solid teak wood headboard.
4. The final bill came to $1287 and took 9 hours even though the driving distance is a 45 minute drive!! They tried to charge me overtime; however I am disputing that charge.
5. If you want to get ripped off then hire these guys, otherwise find another company.
6. The other reviews were very insightful, I wish I had read them before I hired these guys. : (
Here are the reasons that this company is terrible:
1. Movers showed up late and reason was due to G20 road closures. The moving day was a full 8 days before the G20 summit in Toronto.
2. Movers forgot my bed frame in a unsecured moving room. I found it and asked my super to lock it up. They now claim they were the ones who identified the issue.
3. Lost a whole rubbermaid storage box. AND they are now being challenging in moving through with the insurance claims process although we paid for insurance.
4. Rude owner who is not co-operative and has not had the courtesy to respond to my two email complaints.
5. Overpaid for a customer service that was not delivered and is in fact terrible.
I have used Hudson for so many moves I have lost count. We live in a large condo and we use them to move heavy furniture in our unit + I have used them on a few moves from home to home.
I highly recommend Hudson. I have used other movers in the past and the men they send to perform the work cannot compare to the professional uniformed workers that Hudson sends.
I used this company for my boss when he moved from a townhouse to a condo.
The cost ended up being twice the amount originally quoted and it took them twice as long to move then originally discussed. We even had done a walk about before move day so that they knew what types of furniture and how much was going.
The company came highly recommended by a collegue, however I would not suggest this company to anyone.
Hudson Movers is the premier Toronto Mover. We take great pride in providing the very best service for our customers. We can move you across town or across the world. Choose Hudson Movers and find a mover for life. Give us a call and let us take the worry out of moving.