Moving & Storage

Laura in Barrie
Laura in Barrie
1 review Barrie, ON

Amazing Experience

We moved from Victoria BC to Barrie ON in Sept 2018 and I STILL think about how amazing Great Canadian Van Lines were during that stressful time so I thought I'd write a review to tell my story.

We arranged for another company Canadian National Van Lines to move our stuff at the end of the month, as they were recommended by a friend who had recently moved (it was cheap, and they had some damages to their things but overall not bad). Well, on the day of moving, they didn't show up! They were also unreachable by phone or email. We had to be out of our apartment that day because new tenants were moving in so we had to scramble to figure out what to do with our stuff. I had already gotten a quote from Great Canadian Van Lines, so I reached out to see if they, by some miracle, could fit our stuff in their truck. Because it was month end, they were not able to that day, but Sara was super helpful and reassuring that they could move our stuff within the week. We just had to figure out where to store it and how to get it there. The funny thing was that she had WARNED me about going with this other company saying you get what you pay for... and she was right!! So, we end up driving an hour to get the ONLY U-Haul truck left that would fit our stuff, and then drove it to a U-Haul storage centre that was infested with rats (and rat pee), and the ONLY storage unit that could fit our stuff was 4.5 feet tall, including the HALLWAYS to get our stuff there. It was a busy place (again month end) with lots of really grumpy people waiting for the freight elevator to get/move their stuff, much of it wrecked by rat pee. We knew we only had to store our stuff briefly but still chose to buy plastic covers for couches, chairs, mattress.

Great Canadian Van Lines charged an additional $75 fee because of the difficulty of getting our stuff out of a 4.5 foot high space which is honestly completely understandable given how much of a nightmare it was to move. Luckily my husband and I realized we could choose our attitude, and just decided to make the best of a crappy situation. It took us 12 hours to find a truck, load our stuff, find a storage locker, move our stuff.... by that time, it was dark, all of the large moving trucks had been parked at the UHAUL storage facility but we had to bring ours back to where we got it. We tried to get out of the parking lot, and ended up backing into another vehicle. Icing on the cake!

In the end, we drove across the country in our car, reached our new home, and our stuff came exactly on the day and time that was arranged, with plenty of communication by phone, text and email. Our truck driver was a class act, and his partner (a local gentleman) was also professional, efficient, helpful and friendly. None of our stuff was damaged, and they had even taken extra steps to preserve our antique furniture (removing those small casters from the bottom which I never though to do). Our stuff was all labelled with numbered stickers and each piece accounted for. I cannot thank Great Canadian Van Lines, Sara and our driver/mover for their transparency, communication, professionalism and care with our belongings - especially given the moving crisis we were put in by the movers we had originally hired. Highly recommend!!!

Laura R.

Beverly Greenwood in Delta
Beverly Greenwood in Delta
0 reviews Delta, BC

Move across country

Great company. They provided all the information we needed to help us get organized and packed up. The estimate was fairly accurate and within what we expected. Movers very friendly and pleasant. Everything arrived safe and sound. Highly recommend them.

Erin in Toronto
Erin in Toronto

Alberta to Ontario Move

Sara was our moving rep and she was lovely. I had a lot of concerns about our stuff and she was so reassuring. The guys who arrived on moving day were helpful and professional. Once everything was loaded GCVL kept in touch with us every couple of days as to our delivery updates. And then everything arrived in perfect order and the guys who unloaded on the other end were great. Start to finish a GREAT experience.

Hi Erin,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your moving experience with Great Canadian Van Lines.
We will pass on your comments to Sara and your moving crews.
We hope you are enjoying your new home in Ontario and that we can be of service to you in the future.

ELIZABETH in London
ELIZABETH in London
1 review London, ON

Cross-Country move, from BC to ONT.

GCVL Rep. Sara and staff at HQ Lana and Emily and Jane were extremely helpful and answered all my many many questions! I have never organized a move like this before.
All staff were easy to reach and responded quickly--usually same day.

Moving crew, Jai, and assistant were very patient and careful. All of my furniture was wrapped and taped in blankets. Arrival date was sooner than expected. Jai and assistant were thorough and did not leave until all questions answered and inventory checked. They helped place boxes and furniture where I needed them.

Very professional organized company!!

Thank you for your review and we will pass on your comments to the staff and crew.
We hope you are enjoying your new residence in Ontario!
Thank you for relocating with Great Canadian Van Lines.

Shauna in Delta
Shauna in Delta
1 review Delta, BC

Move from Winnipeg to Okotoks

From Chris @ Riverbend Movers and all the guys who loaded and unloaded my stuff, everyone was amazing. It went so smooth. Jane in CS was easy to work with as well. Thanks to everyone .

Steve in Edmonton
Steve in Edmonton
3 reviews Edmonton, AB

Cross Canada Furniture Move.

My family had furniture moved from London, Ontario to mine and my sons house in Edmonton and Sherwood Park, Alberta. Most of the furniture was antique. Almost 250 years old and even though it was build very sturdy, had to be handled carefully. I'm very happy to say that it was delivered to both residences without any issues. No damage at all to the freight or newly painted walls. The dedication and service that these moving men extended to me went beyond my expectations. I was sure that I would have to pay a shuttle charge for a smaller truck to deliver to me. Since I live in a keyhole crescent and my son is in a condominium complex. The driver backed down 2 streets to get to the front of my house and both him and his helper carried some furniture about a city block just to help me out. In very cold weather too. Wade and Eli went outside the box for me and I would use them again in a heartbeat! Great Canadian Van Lines did an exceptional job for me.

Hi Steve,
Thank you for relocating with Great Canadian Van Lines and posting a review of your experience.
To back down 2 streets in an 80 foot tractor trailer takes a real pro. We're happy to hear Wade and his crew went above and beyond your expectations and will let them know.

Justme in Cambridge
Justme in Cambridge
1 review Cambridge, ON

Moving services

We moved from BC to Ontario in the dead of winter. We received excellent service. The packing was well done by courteous professional individuals. The unloading team were equally professional and worked hard. Wade, our driver, and team leader, was very easy to work with. He kept us informed along the way and took responsibility for the truck contents.
We have moved multiple times and had some very bad experiences but I would recommend this company to anyone.

Thank you for relocating with Great Canadian Van Lines. We will pass on your comments to Wade and his crew.
We hope we can be of service to you in the future.

Kimberly in Delta
Kimberly in Delta
1 review Delta, BC

Moving from Victoria BC to London Ontario

This is a very reliable company and very professional. After researching several moving companies, i decided to use this company. The estimate was based on weight, and again i was advised that if the weight was over then the cost would be more. I was emailed and contacted on several occasions with regards to the cost. Everything was clearly explained. When the driver Cole arrived at my residence, not only was he professional, he was careful to pack the belongings that were not in boxes and carefully made sure that everything was packed properly. Cole and his helper were very considerate of my belongings and after my belongings were on the truck, he took a picture to show me. My belongings arrived and i have pretty much unpacked, and so far not one thing is broken, and no scratches on any furniture.. I also received my final weight and i was under, this company did not hesitate to refund the difference..I would definitely recommend this company and its driver Cole to anyone that is considering a long distance move.. With all the bad moving companies out there, this one has truly been a success

We will pass on your comments to Cole and his crew.

Private User reviews Calgary, AB

Dreadful

We went from Vancouver to Calgary. The worst company I've ever dealt with:

- Misquoted us by about $1,000
- Broke valuables and only paid for half of, after much conjouling
- Told us they'd deliver for a particular date and time and ended up being days late with no apology or proactive communication. We took time off work for this!
- I constantly had to check in with them to ensure they did their job and scheduled us in. This was after them taking our deposit.
-Charged us for putting back together equipment but put it back incorrectly

We also watched as the movers opened up their truck door and our precious fitness equipment crashed onto the cold concrete ground. They didn't have the skillset to pack our gear effectively.

Getting our money for damages was a huge hassle and negotiation. I had to threaten legal action. Do not be fooled by their "included" $9,000 insurance policy!

Lindsay, as you are aware your settlement for your claim which you agreed upon on August 10, 2018 was mailed out to you. There was a delay for you to receive the cheque because you submitted an incorrect mailing address on your claim form.

Based on your written email correspondence you indicated that your concerns were resolved. There was no threat of legal action to come to a conclusion of the settlement.
Now more than three months later you have surfaced with false accusations.

We have a copy of your original moving estimate provided to you May 24, 2018 by our agent A to B Moving and the estimated weight was 2877 lbs based on the list of goods you provided. Then on May 25, 2018 you requested a revised estimate (without any of your gym equipment or weights included) which came in at 1500 lbs. You advised your salesperson on June 13, 2018 that, “the weight may be bumped up to 2000 lb.” Here is the email you sent:
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
From: Lindsay Bonnett
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 8:51 AM
To: A to B Moving ; Jas Manhas
Subject: Re: Payment Receipt for Registered Move 48457

Hi,

Can you tell me the time you’ll be coming on June 26? My partner will be flying in to supervise.

Also, the weight may be bumped up to 2000 lb.

Thanks,

Your actual scaled weight of your shipment was 2645 lbs. which came in lower than the original estimated weight of 2877 lbs which included the gym equipment and weights (that were shipped).

Your pickup date on your contract was June 25, 2018 and your delivery period on the contract was July 1st to 3rd. Unfortunately, due to the driver having trailer brake issues he arrived one day late (July 4th) which you were notified of.

On your claim form you never stated that any valuables were broken and that a piece of equipment was put back together incorrectly. You only indicated a ding and scratch on a metal garbage can, a desk was scratched and that a barbell was scratched – which you were compensated for and agreed to. Here is the email of the revised compensation offer and your agreement:

---------- Forwarded message ---------

That's better for us.

Thank you.

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 com> wrote:
Hi Lindsay,

The Claim Review Team, using an average of 9 Rogue Barbells, have authorised an increase in compensation to $378 which is $108 more than the valuation you purchased and qualify for.

A cheque in the amount of $707 will be forwarded to your mailing address.

Thank you.

Customer Service
*end of email*_________________________________________________________________________________________

We tried to contact you but the number we have on file is no longer in service so we reached out to you by email to call us to discuss.
We can be reached at 1-800-665-0055.

Private User reviews Delta, BC

moving across Canada

Decided to move back to Kingston. Your mover David Serena went above and beyond his duties. He single handed completed the move as his partner was ill that day. He was pleasant and courteous. I wish I could have done something to help him but I am too old.

Thank you for your review and we will pass on your comments to David. Thank you for choosing Great Canadian Van Lines for your move back to Kingston.
We hope we can be of service to you again in the future if needed.

More about Great Canadian Van Lines

Great Canadian Van Lines was conceived in the late 1980’s and commenced operations in Calgary, Alberta in 1990. The company relocated to the greater Vancouver area in 1992 and has operated from this area for the over 25 years. Great Canadian is one of the six major van lines operating ...
Looking for Moving & Storage pros in Burnaby?