Goldwater Solar Services

Reviews for Goldwater Solar Services

Derek in Mississauga
Derek in Mississauga

Great work!

Aaron was very personable and was in and out in under an hour. The leak in my solar panels is gone and I'm very satisfied with the job done.
Thanks Aaron!

CorinneB in Whitby
CorinneB in Whitby
1 review Whitby, ON

Pool Solar Heater

We are extremely happy with this solar system. It heats up very quickly. Temperature can be controlled. The company is professional, courteous and responds in a timely manner. This heater extends our swimming time in spring and fall. I highly recommend this product and company. I cannot remember the cost as it was a few years ago.

Mike in Maple
Mike in Maple
1 review Milton, ON

Great service, professional and friendly staff.

The guys from Glodwater Solar came out when they said, and were very quick and professional. I am extremely happy with their service, they were patient with my questions and concerns.

I would definitely recommend them for any solar service needs. Thanks again guys.

Kathy from Whitby
Kathy from Whitby
1 review Whitby, ON

Solar Heating System for Pool

We had our pool solar system installed June 2018. Aaron was professional and courteous throughout the process. He was available for questions afterward. Solar is our only source of heat for our pool. It worked great! We had a wonderful pool season last year and look forward to another this year.
I would highly recommend Aaron and Goldwater Solar Services.

Thanks Kathy for the wonderful review. We are glad you are enjoying the system!!

Solar hot water panels

After about seven years, we had a flood in my renovated basement apartment caused by a leak in the hot water tank placed by Coldwater.
Aaron took no responsibility, “it happens “.
At first he was going to charge me to take the tank out but eventually he did it without charging. However my tenant was living with me for a month upstairs and it has cost me hundreds of dollars to remove the pipes from the roof. Renovating the basement also cost several thousand dollars above my insurance

Inge,

I'm sorry for what you had to go through, but the unfortunate truth is, as I explained, it does happen. The system was installed in May 2008 and is 11 years old. Tanks and labour are not warrantied for that long. However, because of your financial situation we removed the tank at no charge. As I told you, we usually charge $400 to do this. To say that I took no responsibility is not true. I'm not sure what it is you would have expected us to do. That is what insurance is for and unfortunately your insurance deductable was $2,000.

Sometimes tanks, valves, and pipes leak and due to the location of your mechanical closet, there wasn't a drain in a spot that minimized the damage.

RD in Caledon
RD in Caledon
1 review Caledon, ON

passive solar pool heating system.

Aaron rebuilt and reconditioned our rather old and decrepit passive solar pool heating system, replacing the old deck and much of the plumbing. . He was swift and organised and efficient, and very fair in pricing.

Thanks Ramsay. Glad we could help.

cr mississauga in Mississauga
cr mississauga in Mississauga

solar pool heater

Aaron was prompt, professional, cost effective, and the results of the install were excellent. I highly recommend this company to install this system, and recommend this technology to heat your pool as it works every day for free!. cr mississauga

Glad you are happy with the system Colin!

Jay in Newmarket
Jay in Newmarket
1 review Laurel, ON

Pool Solar Heating system

I wouldn't use this company again nor would I recommend it! Aaron was out and installed a solar pool heating system. The product itself is great however the installation was a botch job.

I also posted a similar review elsewhere online where Aaron responded stating that I was insulting and rude and difficult to deal with. This is simply a complete fabrication. While Aaron was at my residence I warmed his lunch for him, let him in to use the rest room, offered water and was very courteous. This does not make me difficult. I was very clear I was unhappy with his work and he took that as an insult. He claims i didn't tell him that I wasn't happy when the fact is that I sent him an email 2 hours after he left and I had a chance to inspect the work. Just another fabrication by Aaron to save his reputation. The only person who was rude and insulting WAS AARON when I suggested I wasn't happy The fact that Aaron is not happy that I complained does not make me difficult, rude or insulting, it simply makes me an unhappy customer. His fabricated response about my behavior merely his defense mechanism to my complaint and speaks directly to the entire issue of his lack of customer service. He continues to state that this is not an eye sore; I would expect him to say nothing else. He won't agree because he doesn't want to fix it. I'm the customer my thoughts should matter but, not to this guy. He also fabricates the fact that he had the parts. Those parts weren't ordered until the second visit. His response is pure self preservation.

Aaron had limited space to work in which he was aware of based on a prior visit. He had difficulty making the plumbing fit with the existing fittings. Instead of replacing the fittings Aaron first suggested denting my filter housing to make his "work around" work. I said no. He was able to fit it all in the end but not before cutting the handle off the new valve and putting the valve on an awkward angle that looks terrible. He ran all the piping directly over my salt cell making it difficult to access. The entire system is under so much tension that it started to leak at the heater and the valve. I send pictures of both. At this time he agreed that the tension could be the problem and ordered the new fittings to rework the plumbing. The solar system was hooked into an existing pentair panel. Aaron had to unhook another existing function on the pool to make the solar work, but in doing this he had no idea how to reconnect what he had disconnected, having limited knowledge of the equipment. He suggested I contact pentair to sort it out. This was a little off putting as I thought thats what I was paying for. I had to sort that issue out on my own in the end.

I also explained that I was not happy that the handle on the valve was cut off. He suggested that this handle was purely aesthetic. This is up for debate as my pool company suggests it is for manual operation in the case the actuator fails completely. Regardless, I had to pay for this valve and did not expect him to damage it to install it. Aaron did come out for the leak but by that time the leak had stopped, I suspect by the hot weather a some expansion. He did nothing about the handle, or reworking the plumbing even though he was aware there was a leak and there was tension on the system.

I tried to explain that I wasn’t happy with the plumbing or the damaged valve handle. He explained that I had no Idea what I was talking about, suggested i was slinging insults because I called his work into question suggesting he cut corners to save money & time by not just adding the new fittings and doing the plumbing properly in area where there is plenty of room & relieving the tension on the system. He also refused to replace the handle on the valve that I paid for via his install continuously stating it aesthetic only no even acknowledging the fact that he damaged what I paid for.

After some bantering emails back and forth and knowing how unhappy I was about the system pluming, the comment that threw me the most was, and I quote directly from an email “You paid for a functional solar pool heater that works. I cut no corners. I made it fit in a tight situation. At no point during our contract did I say I was going to replace fittings at the heater or the filter.” This statement to me says it all. One would use common sense and realize that fittings may have to be replaced as existing ones are glued. I had to explain that the contract didn’t state I would receive damaged parts, and that he would make the system fit no matter how messy of a job it is either.

I have attached a photo of the work. You see that there are pipes touching equipment. A pipe resting on a manual value handle, & the difficultly to access the salt cell now. Aaron offered to send a new handle but it won't fit as the auto valve is touching another pipe hence the reason he broke the first one off. Now a nightmare to service anything. He claims he ordered the parts so not why he didn't use them and just do the job properly.

Anyone who even suggests damaging equipment, existing or new so he can complete his job cheaper is not a good contractor in my books If you paid 5k for something in your home would it matter to you how it looks? I suspect most would have an expectation of quality of work beyond just functionality.

Bottom line, these systems are expensive and if your looking for good clean work, without a hassle I would look somewhere else. Terrible customer service, zero pride in workmanship.

It's unfortunate that Jay feels this way. He claims it was a complete botch job, yet says that it's working fine. Also, when we left the jobsite initially after the job was completed he never mentioned he was unsatisfied with how the system appears. He is correct that we made a second visit to the site to examine the leak he told us was happening. At which time we found no leaks either around his pump, filter, heater nor on the roof. We also tightened the fittings on the filter and heater and checked the o-ring on the valve. There were also no air bubbles coming out of his jet. Most importantly about my interaction with Jay is that I told him on multiple occasions that we would fix the plumbing if it starts to leak in the future. He accused us of cutting corners because we didn't want to pay for the plumbing parts, however, I had already purchased the parts and they are sitting in the van. He became very unreasonable because we didn't change the plumbing needlessly. That's when the insults and his true temper materialized.

He claims it was due to tension on his fittings. It is true we had to fit the valve into a very tight space and as a result removed the handle on the actuator which serves no purpose as you cannot physically turn it (the actuator rotates automatically and the mechanical components of it prevent you from physically turning it). In the future if there is a problem with the actuator and it has to be removed to use the manual valve, I'd be more than happy to send him a $5 handle. He repeatedly claimed that he paid $5000 for damaged equipment which is an extreme over-exaggeration. What he was talking about is a $5 handle which serves no purpose in the functioning of the system. We worked hard to fit the valve in the tight space between the filter and the gas heater. He claims I told him that I could fit it in if I dented the filter, but that was at a time in which I didn't want to leave him with a non-functional pool and I certainly wasn't suggesting it as a permanent solution because the fittings for the filter and pump would have to be ordered. In the end, I fit it in without denting the filter so it was the whole subject was immaterial.

It is true that I removed the functionality of one of his valves and the only reason that was done is because it was plugged into the solar valve slot in his controller. He chose to use his existing controller instead of using the Pentair Solartouch controller. The way he set up his controller was using his cell phone so of course I was unsure of what to do with the valve that was plugged into the solar valve slot. Not sure why this is an issue as he was able to plug that valve (which is for his waterfall I believe) into another port and get it working on his own.

I tried to reason with Jay, and repeatedly offered to fix any issues down the road. He claims it is a botch job, yet it is working fine and to be honest is not an eye-sore at all. The bottom line is Jay is a very difficult person to deal with.

I am sure he will enjoy his pool in the end and have decades of free hot water.

Cathy in Saint John
Cathy in Saint John

Solar pool heating system

Had the system installed last summer. No regrets . The pool is very warm 88 to 92 degrees at no additional cost.
Wish we had done it years earlier!
Great service , would recommend this company .

Glad to hear the system is working well Cathy. All the best.

Amy from Toronto
Amy from Toronto

Excellent, prompt and affordable service

Aaron is an expert at solar installation and repair. We have been working with Goldwater Solar for 4 years and he is prompt, affordable and professional. I highly recommend Goldwater Solar Services.

Thanks for the complement Amy!!

More about Goldwater Solar Services

Since 2005 we have been offering full turnkey installation solar services in solar photovoltaic (PV) systems, solar water heating for domestic hot water and space heating, and solar pool heating. We tailor our systems to the needs of each building to optimize the performance of our solar energy systems. Call ...
Looking for Renewable Energy pros in Toronto?