Ewen Cameron Master Carpenter & Cabinetmaker

Reviews for Ewen Cameron Master Carpenter & Cabinetmaker

Mark in Toronto
Mark in Toronto
1 review TORONTO, ON

Installation of interior doors, casings and hardware

Ewen was the first contractor I contacted on Homestars and he was very helpful and patient with us. He took the time to visit with us and explain the possibilities and listen to what we wanted. When he scheduled time to do the work he showed up on time and did exactly what he said he would do. He was very clean, left no mess and was great to chat with. His prices were great and I believe we got exactly what we wanted at a great price!

Thanks Ewen - we will have you back to do some additional work!
Mark and Manuel, Toronto

Mark knew exactly what he wanted, decor wise, and after a productive first meeting, it was clear sailing from there on. I will be looking forward to our next project, great guy to work with and very knoledgeable. Thanks for the hospitality.

10 reviews Thornhill, ON

Trim and Casing in living,dining,family rooms

Ewen basically added trim and casings to our entire main floor in our house over two phases in spring as part of a kitchen renovation and just recently as part of a living/dining/family room renovation. His workmanship is excellent. He cuts outside so not leave much dust in the house (it was warm enough to cut outside when we did our renos). He also works well around issues like uneven walls and corners, badly placed sockets/switches. Sometimes space between the trim and the wall can't be avoided so he usually fills that in with caulking and hides the gaps well. One thing is that he always suggests priming and painting after he installs which makes it harder to do since you have to tape the walls. But I think this is necessary otherwise the paint will gunk up when he cuts or sands pieces.

He's a very sociable guy and me and my wife enjoy talking with him about random things as well. His quote is up front and by the book. And I trust him enough to work in the house when we're at work as well. In our last reno he finished casing 3 big rooms for us (baseboard, window casing and crown moulding) in 2 days without compromising quality. So he can really work fast as well.

After painting the wood and putting furniture back and adding Xmas decor the place really makes me feel at home. The trim gives the rooms a nice pop and accents our earth tone wall colours.

Second time was indeed a charm. Lyndon and his wife were up against the clock, with Christmas looming just around the corner, so we quickly agreed to everything. 2 LONG days gave them enough time to have the painting done before the guests arrived to consume all their food and drink. A real pleasure to see their happily astonished smiles. I look forward to working with them again on future endeavours.

10 reviews Thornhill, ON

Main Floor baseboards, window casings and door trim

This review is long overdue by me. Ewen cut and installed all the baseboards, window casings and door trim on most of our main floor as part of a major renovation. From the beginning he gave an accurate quote and completed the work exceptionally. He cut everything outside leaving the inside clean. Our new base/trim really make our house pop. And I also liked our periodic chats about the world cup...why scotland didn't make it and why england needs better players. Great man to work with and a fantastic carpenter.

Lyndon was very pleasant to work with and a real footy fan and although neither of his teams won the World Cup, he still reminded me, as I lamented the fact, that Scotland didn't even qualify! Made a friendly working enviroment even better. Thanks Lyndon.

Lani
Lani
2 reviews Etobicoke, ON

New baseboards, molding, banister and more!

We hired Ewen after our first meeting, just a month after moving into our first home. He showed up on the job immediately after the holidays and met all of his deadlines.

It's now been over six months since he finished new baseboards, doorway framing, window trim and a brand new banister and we still enjoy showing off to company. He was so helpful and willing to work with us, giving us helpful tips, advice when asked and doing everything we asked of him while trying to make things easier for us along the way.

At the end of the job, he didn't charge a penny more than he quoted.

Having now worked with a number of other contractors, I can honestly say that I wish they all took a training course with Ewen. He treated us like neighbours, showed respect for our time and he's a wiz with anything wood! We'll gladly hire him to finish the place off once we save enough for another project!

Lani was an absolute joy to work with, right from the get-go. Her bubbly personality and genuine warmth made this "January" job much easier. As this was their first home, we proceeded slowly, doing as much work as they felt comfortable fitting into the budget. I am definitely looking forward to working with Lani in the future. It was a pleasure being given the chance to work with her and K. and I thank them.

GG Toronto
GG Toronto
1 review East York, ON

Installing interior door

Ewen was friendly, efficient and honest. Would gladly ask him to do work again. He did a lot of work with great patience and offered the best price (of the two others I asked for a quotation).

This was GG's first home, so I wanted her initial experience with the construction business to be a pleasant one. I believe that goal was achieved on both a personal and professional level. Thanks for everything GG.

Michelle in Old Millside
Michelle in Old Millside
4 reviews York, ON

Wainscoting, Baseboards, Window & Door Casings

Ewen helped us with some woodwork during significant renovations we completed on our house. Fixed existing gumwood wainscoting (which was damaged/broken during renos), installed new wainscoting in a small powder room, built and installed random baseboards, door casings and window casings. Ewen had a great combination of all the traits you look for in a contractor - good response times to communication, stuck to his promised timelines, kept a clean work space, and completed quality work (good eye for detail, which was key for the repairs of our existing wainscoting). In addition to all that, a conversation with Ewen always meant some good laughs - a very pleasant, fun personality to work with!

Michelle had a beautiful older home, which just needed finicky finishing touches to a renovation they were completing, and I was happy to be able to lend my services to her. Michelle made the small project very enjoyable with her engaging personality and her hospitality. Thank you for letting me part of your upgrades.

Laura in London
Laura in London
2 reviews London, ON

custom bookshelves and office work area

I found Ewen on Homestars. He was one of three contractors that I recieved quotes from.I hired Ewen becasue he understood the challenges of the odd corners in the room and specific requirements that I had. Also, we discussed the exact wood that would be used, negotiated a fair price for the work, and detailed the features that would be included. I am thrilled with the end result. Further, Ewen worked efficiently in the house, cleaned up every day and completed the work on time and on budget. I have already recommended his work to friends.

Laura was quick to incorporate my suggestions into her overall plan, with regard to some "interesting" angles and elevation changes in the work enviroment. We agreed upon a schedule that fit both of us and the work went smoothly, with the supervision of a very friendly West Highland Terrier! It was a pleasure to be able to create Laura's new workspace and I thank her for the opportunity.

T&T
T&T

Custom-built bedframe

I contacted Ewen based on reviews on Homestar. I met with him to discuss a custom built bedframe. I provided him with a sketch of what the bed frame looks like and we discussed about modifications that are to be made. He said he'd email me a modified sketch based on changes that we discussed.

A few days he told me that he has already purchased the materials required and start the building process soon. I asked him for the sketch and he said he'd provide that to me later.

2 weeks later, he emailed me and asked me to pick out the stain colour for the bed frame. I was surprised to learn that he has proceed with the production of the bed frame before I approve the sketch. He said he was eager to start and got carried away with the production. He assured me that the bedframe incorporate all the changes we discussed and that I'll be pleased with the final product.

When he's ready to install the bedframe, he just emailed me the day before to let me know that he'll be stopping by for the installation. I told him it's a rather short notice and we postpone the installation a day later.

The final product left a lot to be desired. The workmanship is poor, the staining of the wood was uneven and the bed frame was not built according to speficiation.

Beware. Obtain precise sketch of the product you get him to build for you before hand rather than relying on empty verbal promises.

MAY 20th/'10...Reading this review was a total shock to me. We had a productive and enjoyable primary meeting to lay out all the parameters and specs, at which point I asked, after reviewing the measurements and asthetic requests, and double-checking we were in total agreement, "When would you like this done"? The answer was "Right Away, because we are sick of sleeping on the floor" and after obtaining a small materials deposit, told Tony and Tim I would get started right away, which I did with their acknowledgment. Their response to my communications was somewhat sporadic, but I did eventually get then to provide me with their lacquer and stain colours. When I did the installation, I asked Tony Chan, the one partner, upon completion, "Do you have any questions, comments or concerns", as I do with all clients, to assure they are happy with my work. Tony said "No, it looks great" at which point we wrapped up our business, with him gladly paying the total outstanding balance. I heard nothing from either Tony, or his partner, Tim, until this review. I emailed Tim, who wrote the review, to find out how the project had gone from perfectly fine, to what he said in his review, and to ask why, if he had concerns, why he didn't contact me directly, and why his partner was happy with the work, but not him? His response was "He didn't have time to piddle around"? But he had time to blindly trash me and my reputation, to which I take great personal offence. With ALL clients, if there are any concerns, or questions, I have always returned to address them personally, and will continue to do so. I am disappointed that a client is not satisfied, from both a professional and personal perspective. Why not provide pictures of the work and let everyone judge for themselves, instead of hiding behind baseless words?

ADDED OCT 11th/'10......I have attempted several times to contact TIM, with regards to posting pictures of the work in question, but have not received any reply whatsoever.

karyn w don mills
karyn w don mills
1 review North York, ON

Built interior railing

I would hire and recommended Ewen to complete any carpenter work you may have. I have been doing reno's on my home for the past 2 years and Ewen was by far the best contractor i have hired! I only wish i could hire him to do all my other jobs!! A++++

Karyn was fantastic to work with. She laid out what was required and desired, allowed me to do my work, looked at it at the end of the day and was completely happy. I hope we get to work together again in the future. Thanks for the opportunity to augment your house.

Markham 1699
Markham 1699

Hot Tub Cabinet Surround

I would highly recommend Ewen for any type of carpentry work. He replaced the wood cabinet surround of my hot tub in the fall. I was very impressed with how professional he was. He was not only quick to return phone calls and follow up, but he was also honest and down-to-earth. (It was very refreshing to not feel like you were dealing with a shady company or someone who was just plain trying to rip you off.)

Ewen took the time to quote me on three different woods/wood-composites, which also helped in guaging budget. I was impressed with his innovative, practical design for the hot tub, including a custom door to access the pump and a bonus ledge for the hot tub cover. I wouldn't hesitate to contact Ewen again for any carpentry work.

Laura was a pleasure to work with. She had an already impressive home, and my small contribution has hopefully enhanced the look. Thank you for your hospitality during my tenure there.

More about Ewen Cameron Master Carpenter & Cabinetmaker

Interior & Exterior Fine Finish Carpentry( cornice, dado & shaker panel mould,wainscoting, doors, baseboard, casing, etc) and Custom Cabinetry ( built-in's, entertainment units, custom kitchens, fireplace mantle's etc.).
Welcome to the Website of Ewen Cameron Master Carpenter & Cabinetmaker: “EWEN MCC”
Having started my apprenticeship in July of 1980, I have been serving the GTA and Southern Ontario as a tradesman since 1985 and have been an Independent Businessman since 2001.
My goal in business has always been a simple one, to provide my clientele with professional quality fine carpentry and millwork, and with first-rate, personalized client services.
I provide my clients with a complete CONSULT-DESIGN-BUILD service.
Simply stated, I come and consult with you regarding the work you wish to have performed. Together, we then formulate a design. The canvas from which I can build can be as simple as a hand-drawn sketch outline, a picture from a design, or any other magazine, or a full set of blueprints. With many clients, they will simply tell me their vision and I will build it. Much of the work you will see in this web site is built from the client sketching a few lines on a wall and explaining how they envision the final piece. My experience allows me to obtain a sense of the client’s personal tastes and likes with regard to the type of architectural style they are seeking, be it modern, contemporary, traditional or anywhere in between.
At Ewen MCC, there are no middlemen to confuse the message. When you meet and speak with me, you are speaking with the person who shall be doing the work. No more missed small details, as there are no details too small, no more mis-measurements.
As you will see on the testimonials page, the respect of my clients home, or business, is of paramount importance to me.
I believe that my hard work and dedication has paid off, with the result being a lengthy list of very pleased clients.