Downtown Fabrics

Stephen in Toronto
Stephen in Toronto
26 reviews TORONTO, ON

Fabrics for fashion school

This is by far one of the cleanest and pleasant fabric shops in the fashion ghetto. Things appear to be stacked on top of each other randomly, but each fabric is meticulously organized by content and weight.

By far the best selection of silk charmeuse in the city (strangely enough the best priced too). Tip: If you look hesitant to purchase and the owner is there, he'll usually bargain himself down.

Takanari in North york
Takanari in North york
9 reviews NORTH YORK, ON

Fabric

For a fashion class we needed to make a bag of some sorts as well as a plushie. Unfortunately, the class fees didn't include fabric. So I went downtown to search for some striped fabric.

Most of the fabric stores were too disorganized to really find a specific type of fabric. I mean, browsing was fine, but finding something you already set your mind to was impossible.

So when I got to Downtown Fabrics, I wasn't expecting much. However, the place was organized and had a wide variety of patterns and textures(They had wide and thin striped in about 5 colours).

The staff is helpful but they aren't trying to make a sale. They're around if you need them, but they won't bug you.

Chann
Chann

Fabric Shop

For a very low price I was able too find fabric at a low price with great quality and a choice selection. I refurbished an antique bench I found and am excited that I was able to find faabric at such a great deal. The staff were very helpful in helping me and now I have such aa great unique piece that my quests I invite over to my home ask about me all the time. I highly recommend this store.

Sarah
Sarah

Fabric for table runners

I needed fabric for table runners and was on a limited budget. I looked in all the fabric stores on this Queen West strip west of Spadina and Downtown Fabric definitely had the best prices. Their selection is comparable to other stores, but it was really the prices that set them apart.
The owner of the store is extremely helpful as well. He showed me fabrics that were very appropriate for my project (unlike some of the other salespeople from other stores). He even helped me with my measurement calculations and gave me a discount.
He's also lots of fun. 2 girls came in to the store and we all played a game to guess the type of material a certain fabric was made of. They guessed right and he cut them a yard for free!
Overall a really fun experience and I'm super happy with the fabric.