Darmaga Hardwood Flooring Ltd

Floor Laying & Refinishing
Markham ON L3T
HomeStars  >  Floor Laying & Refinishing in Richmondhill  >  Darmaga Hardwood Flooring Ltd
How well a company responds to Quote Requests and Reviews.

Reviews for Darmaga Hardwood Flooring Ltd

Natalie from Markham

From speaking with the sales rep at the office to having someone come in for measurements and finally the installation, Darmaga was professional and made this process absolutely stressfree. The job was completed on time and our installer, Gabriel, installed our hardwood to perfection!!! The work site was left clean and tidy everyday and no garbage was left behind. We are in love with the floor and are so glad we entrusted Darmaga and Gabriel with the job. Definitely recommend Darmaga to everyone! Thank you Darmaga !

Alex from Darmaga arrived early, worked alone and finished the job in one day. He was extraordinarily knowledgeable and meticulous. I immediately knew we were in good hands. We love our new floor and appreciate Rick's expert advice regarding the appropriate product for our home. Many thanks to all involved.

Ruby

One of the most expensive and nerve-wrecking decisions on our renovation list was to replace our carpets with hardwood floors.

We started searching in June 2015 and visited almost every store within the GTA. We looked dozens of samples and found the process stressful and overwhelming. We started off with Maple, however we were very specific with our color choice and we wanted classic hardwood, whereas engineered hardwood would have given us more options.

Near the end of our search, we narrowed it down to Red Oak or Ash, but we still didn’t find anything we liked. We almost gave up when we found out about Darmaga Hardwood Flooring, and by then we were so exhausted and said it would be our last stop (well it was)!!

I can’t tell you how impressed we were when we walked through the doors and met Karesz. Within minutes of telling him what we’ve been through, and that we didn’t think we would ever find what we were looking for, he showed us “two” samples. One was Red Oak and the other was Ash. I could not believe it; they were exactly what we were looking for! We asked for medium/dark brown-grey and that's exactly what Karesz gave us! I also want to point out that many other sales associates pressured us into looking at engineered hardwood flooring, even after we explained we wanted classic hardwood, and I found it very annoying. We didn’t get that at all with Karesz.

Before we sat down to talk pricing with Karesz, I asked if the owner was around and Rod Darmaga came over. I was quite surprised because normally owners don’t have the time to come over and chat, or they’re unavailable. Not only did Rod greet us but he “sat” down and chatted with us. I told him how happy we were to be there and that Karesz was amazing. Rod was very appreciative of our visit and our interest in Darmaga.

We took the samples home and fell in love!! On the drive home, I kept asking my husband, “How the heck did he know what we were looking for?” It was unbelievable that the two samples he showed us were dead on! My husband said he noticed that Karesz really listened when I was talking to him, and it’s quite obvious that he’s experienced and knows hardwood floors!

We really wished we had found Darmaga and Karesz sooner! It would have saved us a lot of time and energy.

Even though we knew the hardwood floor installation would be the last step in our renovations, I kept in touch with Karesz, but at no point did he ever call and pressure us to make a sale. I really appreciated that because we were crazy busy with renovations and we already knew, no matter what, we would purchase our hardwood flooring from Darmaga.

Our renovations had many setbacks, delays, and disappointments so it wasn’t until early December 2015 that we were ready to purchase the hardwood flooring. We quickly met up with Karesz and purchased our hardwood within minutes. Karesz was fantastic in making sure we could get our order in time, and then booking the delivery in time for the installation. Whew!

Throughout this process, we were nervous and anxious. Hardwood floors and the installation were pricey and we had so many questions and concerns. Every time I called or emailed Karesz, he was quick to respond and always willing to help out. He even helped us with questions that were not related to the hardwood purchase!

When our order came in, Karesz was prompt in calling us so we could pick up a few planks to give to our installer to match the stain for our stairs and railing. We received a call a few days prior to the delivery and on the morning of. The delivery guys Jason and Corey were on time and did a great job in being careful when coming into our home with the 50+ boxes!

As you can see, the Red Oak hardwood is stunning. We’re so glad we chose a premium product, but more importantly, from a reputable company that has been around for a long time. I had several questions even after the installation and Karesz was happy to help out. Believe me when I say this, if you’re looking for hardwood flooring, save yourself a lot of time and hassle and at least visit Darmaga Flooring. You’ll be glad you did. And please say hi to Karesz, he is simply amazing!!

Tony Firmin from Richmond Hill
4 reviews Richmond Hill, ON

Over the last 10 years we have progressively had Darmaga install wood flooring on the main floor of the house. The work has always been well done and we are very satisfied with the overall result. Michelle Stach coordinated the last phase of the work and was a pleasure to work with.

CD/North York
8 reviews North York, ON

We wanted to install flooring in the basement to match the rest of the house; we have Mirage hardwood in the house, so we went for engineered same product for the basement.
The advice we received in the store was great - Karesz is very knowledgeable and patient. It was a painless experience - from selection to finish. The timelines were exactly as discussed with Sharon, who managed the whole project flawlessly, coordinating all its aspects, from ordering the materials to the installation date.
It was not the easiest job - we installed glued cork and then glued engineered on top. Gabor, who did the installation, listened to what we wanted, was very courteous, paid attention to all details, was extremely punctual and left the house sparkling clean when he finished. Overall did an excellent job, we could not be more pleased with how our basement looks right now.
Thank you, Darmaga! We will recommend the company to our friends.

Colin Huang in North york

We hired Darmaga to redo the hardwood flooring throughout the entire first floor of our new (resale) home. The job included removal of existing hardwood, screwing down the sub-floor and laying the new hardwood.

The experience was absolutely fantastic. From the sales process, the onsite estimation, and the actual job itself, everyone we worked with at Darmaga was fantastic.

Highly recommended. I wouldn't hesitate to go work with Darmaga again for future projects. My first choice!

Thanks for a great experience.

Tim&Tina Richmond Hill
7 reviews RICHMOND HILL, ON

After getting ripped off by a "Discount " flooring store, I went to Darmaga looking for a solution. I had originally gone to Darmaga, but thought I could save money elsewhere....big mistake. Truth is, you get what you pay for.
I was immediately struck with the knowledge of their staff. Dennis and Paul have forgotten more than most people will ever know about flooring. They also understood my flooring needs, and did not try to upsell me. In the end, the cost was very reasonable, and their crew did a fantastic job with the installation.
After months of renos on my house, the one thing I have learned, is use the pro's. Avoid "big boxes" and discount stores in strip malls. Deal with people who make their living in a specific area. With this in mind, you would be hard pressed to find any retailer more qualified in hardwood flooring, than the staff at Darmaga.

DAVID  WEENEN
1 review TORONTO, ON

Darmaga is great! !!
Sharron is no nonsense and forthright Everyone else there seems very professional.
It wasn't until I had a problem with product on a job that I realized how it was that Darmaga has done so well over the years.
Three years ago, we installed some hardwood in a house for a very high end client. I received an email from the client saying something was wrong with the floor
The Owner, Wally Darmaga jumped into action immediately and visited the site...Himself! He identified the problem, made reparations and even managed my client! i could not ask for any better treatment.
The product lines are top quality, the service is impeccable, and they stand behind it all!
I wouldn't consider another supplier for flooring.

David Weenen, WWW Construction Inc.

Modern cedarvale in York
2 reviews YORK, ON

Darmaga is a bit of a drive to the showroom but their installation, advice and service was worth the trip. My floor is terrific, the price was great, the installers were artists and the service could not be better.

Rob in Toronto

I renovated my entire 3-story Victorian, which included hardwood install throughout (approx 1300 sq ft). The estimator was professional and the staff very accommodating to our schedule. Even the installers were quite good (when it came to certain aspects of the install), and the Mirage product is beautiful. Still, the final result is a disaster. Miscommunication between the estimator and the installers, bad “big picture” planning by the installers, and a failure to stop when there was a problem (instead of forging ahead) would be the perfect storm that resulted in the mess I was left with.

On the 3rd floor: Though the installation was quite good, the installers did not “ramp up” the wood to meet the tile of the bathroom, as the estimator said they would, and as he wrote in marker at the threshold to the bathroom. I wasn’t told there would be a problem. In fact, I was represented that there wouldn’t be a problem. As I said, they told me they would use cardboard under the wood to simply ramp it up to meet the threshold. But they didn’t, and I do have a problem. There is a ¼ inch exposed ledge of tile where the two floorings meet. I’ve never received an explanation as to why they did not do as marked by the estimator. I still don’t have a decent remedy to the problem.

On the 2nd floor: The 2nd floor is on two levels. One room and landing is on one level. A single step up from the landing to the main hallway and all the other rooms off of it is the second level. You can see down the full length of the entire house across both levels. We were told by the estimator that the installers would run the hardwood down the full length of the house to create a line from which all the rest of the installation would run. Makes sense.

Instead, the installers treated each level as a separate job that they did on separate days. They didn’t seem to even consider that visually it is one large expanse. Because I have an old house that was initially renovated back in the 80’s, there is a mix of old and new. Some of the walls and the stairwells are not perfectly square or plumb. They picked one wall (that veers a bit to the south) as their start point for the first board on one level of the 2nd floor, and picked the stairwell (that veers fairly noticeably to the north) as their start point for the install on the other level of this single, visually continuous job. The result? The boards ran off in markedly different directions as you look down the length of the 2nd floor. Friends and neighbours were shocked how bad it looked and how poorly the 2nd floor job was planned. Why didn’t they find a “line” that would work for both levels, even if it meant “splitting the difference” between the two lines they chose? Why didn’t they find a single line down the middle; as the estimator said they would do?

In fairness, Wally the owner came by, and they agreed to take up the floor on one of the 2 levels and run it more in line with the other level. A big job, and I appreciated it. BUT, the 2 levels still do not run in the same direction (that’s how far they were off initially), so the 2nd floor is still a big disappointment.

On the 1st floor: This is the worst. The subfloor was in bad shape, so our contractor laid ply over it. It still wasn’t perfectly level, but it’s an old house and I don’t mind it everything isn’t perfectly level. As they say, it’s part of the “character.” What isn’t OK is a floor that is “bumpy” or “wavy,” like a wrinkled shirt, and that’s what I ended up with. The estimator examined the subfloor and generally seemed fine with it, although he did point out a couple of high spots that would need sanding and one low spot where the installers would use a bit of cardboard (he wrote the word “cardboard” with black marker directly on the subfloor in the one spot). He expressly said that cork would not be used because it had “hard edges” that might “telegraph,” especially with the thinner 11 ml product we were using. Well, the installers did use cork in more than one spot (and more than one layer in some spots), and they spent a lot of time sanding in other areas. I don’t know it they “over-engineered” their prep work, but according to my contractor who was on site while they were there, they seemed very frustrated with the job but forged ahead anyway. The result? When I got home I had an expanse of floor over my open concept living/dining/ kitchen that looks like a wrinkled shirt. It’s a mess. And a few boards sink when you step on them. I don’t even understand how that can happen with tongue and groove.

I just want to know why this happened? Was the subfloor not good enough? If not, why weren’t we told? We could have done some remediation. Was the 11 ml product not the right product for the 1st floor? If not, we could have gone with ¾” solid on that level (the Mirage product came in both). Why did the installers use cork instead of cardboard, as the estimator warned against? What else could we have done? We were willing to work with them to make it right.

I’ve never received answers to these questions. They are the professionals. They represented that they could do the job. They didn’t identify any major concerns. Yet the result is a mess. The installers apparently knew the result wasn’t going to be good (as reflected in their frustration), but they didn’t stop and call Darmaga to discuss how to proceed. Instead, they forged ahead knowing it was going to be a mess. I spoke to Wally, but no one ever came by to see the 1st floor install. Wally didn’t really have answers to my questions (How could he? He didn’t see the subfloor, and he didn’t see the install.)

On all three floors of my house (my beautiful, old Victorian – lovingly renoed throughout), I see hardwood that makes me upset and sad. At this point, I am looking at either having someone come in and redo the floors on all 3 levels, or move. I’m tired of being constantly reminded of the mess at every turn. It’s on every level. There’s no respite. Not only can I not recommend Darmaga, I’m finding it hard to forgive.

In operating in the hardwood industry for over 65 years, and on our 4th generation of family involvement, we unfortunately do make mistakes as is part of being human & do sincerely apologize.

We assure you that you did choose the right product in the Mirage engineered not only for its beauty but primarily for its stability in humidty change & another important factor – its thickness.

The thickness of product was a concern due to the level issues and the possible need for plywood by your contractor to try to address these subflooring issues, which as you stated and were aware, are typical problems for an older home – to be rectified usually only by large amounts of work and labour and therefore cost.

Finally, as a sign of willingness in a continuing effort to resolve any remaining issues, we would gladly pay to have a NWFA inspector attend your home and make any recommendations to solve your issues – to which we would willingly address.

Thank you, and again, we are sorry for the way you feel and we are willing to continue to try to rectify any issues.

Darmaga Hardwood Flooring Ltd.
1-800-387-5790

More about Darmaga Hardwood Flooring Ltd

Floor Retailers, Floor Laying & Refinishing We are a proud family operated business for over four generations. We believe in delivering the very best quality and customer care for our valued clients. This is one of the most important reasons why we continue to be the best choice for all ...