Aquariums West

Reviews for Aquariums West

Yoyosushi  in Vancouver
Yoyosushi in Vancouver

Laguna 250 powerje water gardening pump

I have a 20 year old back yard pond and my Home Depot pump finally died. I decided to go to Aquarium West as I thought a store specializing in fish would be the best place to buy a new pump. I described my 10’x5’x5’ deep outdoor pond and they recommended the tiniest pump that can fit In the palm of your hand. They said Laguna products are the best and they never have issues with them. Trustingly, I bought it and spent the next 3 months waiting for a replacement part as the pump didn’t work after three days. They said I broke it. After a long wait Krieg said that pump part is no longer available and the Laguna representative with give me a used pump for free. Making it sound like this was a huge favour. I took this even tinier pump home and my husband and I placed it in a big bowl of water and plugged it in and it never work!!!! I emailed the store and Krieg said it was too late to get a refund as I accepted a replacement offer. If I had known that was the deal, I would never have taken the replacement offer. Frustrated, I went to Home Depot and bought a pump off the shelf for $150. It works beautifully and I have yet to clean it. I truly wish I had never gone to Aquarian west. They do not have expertise in outdoor ponds or appropriate pump knowledge ( I had to buy a bunch of extra parts to make the pump work like a box, ballasts, plastic piping that is not included with the pump. The staff didn’t even mention this to me when I left the store. I bought extra parts from Home Depot ). I love supporting mom and pop type shops but in this case it costed me $95 and a bad experience. If anyone wants this broken laguna pump for free just ask. A very very disappointed customer and I will tell everyone I know not to go there.

KateW in Vancouver
KateW in Vancouver

Knowledgeable staff

The staff at Aquariums West are all very knowledgeable, but even better - they have helped me several times fix problems AND working within my budget. They are great with tips and tricks, too. I’ve called in and gone into the store a dozen times over the past 5 years and have always been very pleased with the employee responses.

Rayna Esposa from Vancouver
Rayna Esposa from Vancouver

Marimo

My coworker brought her marimo moss ball into the office. She said that she had received it as a gift and thought that whoever gave it to her had ordered it online. I fell in love with the marimo balls and became obsessed with them. I must have called 5 different aquarium/pet supply stores before coming across aquarium's west who actually supplied them. I went into the store and the sales girl (forget her name) was very helpful. She helped me pick out a pretty glass bowl to display them and gave me detailed care instructions. Apparently, not a lot of stores carry them as they are not really popular in Canada. I have 5 of them in one bowl and they make great low maintenance house plants/ centerpieces. Simply adorable!

Jellie
Jellie
11 reviews BURNABY, BC

Aquairum tank and accessories

I went there with my boyfriend to find some stuff for his tank and fish. It's pretty cramped in there with stuff and pretty quite and slow.

It seemed like they have a lot of stuff but the price isn't really the best, nor the expertise. We coudln't find what my boyfriend was looking for. We coudln't get a definite answer either so we just decided to go check out other places.

kim satterlee in Vancouver
kim satterlee in Vancouver
1 review VANCOUVER, BC

i wanted to buy 60lbol gravel

the poor service and high prices made me change stores.the price of substrate was double pets marts price.sorry i will take a 10 min train ride.i paid $19.99 for the same 20 kilo bag

Dino P. in Vancouver
Dino P. in Vancouver
1 review VANCOUVER, BC

Attempt to buy an Aquarium package

OMG...avoid this place. Went in prepared to spend a bundle on new small tank, but got HUGE attitude instead from the sales clerk. I ask kindly to the clerk and said I'd like to buy a specific tank. He answered "no you don't" and proceed to be condesending the entire rest of our visit there. He tried to sell me up to another tank. The tank he wanted to sell us was more expensive for what I'd wanted, smaller and a hell of a lot more unattractive.. I literally felt like we were in a used car dealership. Anything I was interested in, he said "no, you don't want that, here's something I think is better (more expensive)". Its like..."are you a fortuneteller?" "you really know what I want?" This guy lost a big sale for the store. Was going to start off with $160 tank + accessories...what he got from me was a sale of under $30. WON'T BE BACK!!

Mark in the west end
Mark in the west end
18 reviews Surrey, BC

Home Aquarium and general pet supplies

I am impressed with the level of cleanliness and care provided to animals in this store. Too often do you see poor conditions in a pet stores. However you do pay for this level of store and their staff effort is reflected in the prices.
The service is erratic. I've had some great service here and some poor.

Stephen in the West End
Stephen in the West End

Aquarium products purchased over 10 years

I used to shop here quite regularly, I own a 30 gallon freshwater tank and a 90 gallon saltwater tank and even though the prices were outrageous I shopped here because it was local. Over the years I've seen all the good staff deteriorate and all that's left is the rising prices and moody owner. After 10 years of shopping here I've moved onto better prices and friendly service at J&L Aquatics. It's sad as I wanted to support my West End business but I just can't line this womans pockets anymore.