AIM Cedar Works Ltd

HomeStars  >  Fences & Gates in Burnaby  >  AIM Cedar Works Ltd

Reviews for AIM Cedar Works Ltd

Private User reviews Vancouver, BC

Fence and landscaping

Aim Cedar works was referred to us by Home Depot as their contractor and source for fencing and landscaping. We wanted to use our Home Depot cards to take advantage of the no interest promotion. TLDR - save yourself the headache. Don't be tempted by the lure of zero interest from Home Depot. Don't use these guys - it's not worth the headache...

The craftsmanship on the fence initially was extremely poor. Firstly, it looked nothing like the photos my wife had sent to the estimators. We wanted 1" x 4" horizontal fencing. They gave us 1" x 6". I assume this was because it would have been a faster install. Secondly, when they installed the fence, they left huge gaps at the bottom because the landscape wasn't level. The "right" thing to do would have been to clear out a bit of the lawn to create a uniform line. I ended up digging up a small portion of the lawn and requested the installer to put in the extra plank. The third issue had to do with the line that the fence followed. Running the fence parallel with the sidewalk would have been the most aesthetically correct thing to do but this was not the case. For some odd reason, the fence ran crooked and was extremely noticeable. Lastly, the end cuts of the cedar boards were all crooked and were highly noticeable. I am not craftsman but even I could have cut those boards straighter. In the end, I spoke with Jim (the estimator) and I will tell you that these guys are great at positioning. We agreed in the end to not have the installer rip out the fence posts to realign. The installer came back and reinstalled the poorly cut pieces. Overall, I could have done this job better even though they are supposedly the "experts"

The landscaping. This was by far the worst part of the entire experience. We explained the job to Chris. For our backyard, we requested that they remove all the old sod, level the yard, and after much debate - cover the entire back yard with road base. After the first round of work, they installed a retaining wall and covered the yard with road base. The yard was no where near level. The retaining wall they put in ALSO matched the slope of the yard in that they left a 3 foot chunk out at one end. I called Chris and explained the situation and he sent the guys back out to re-level the yard. This time around, they brought in road base of a different color. Our yard now has 2 different shades of road base. I called Chris again and as I mentioned before, these guys are extremely good at positioning. According to Chris, I was the only guy who had every complained about road base being two different colors in the yard and it wasn't meant to be used as a finishing (isn't that up to the homeowner?!?). After much debating and arguing, Chris offered to bring in gravel for us at cost. So instead of fixing the problem, his only solution was for me to spend more money so that they could fix a problem that could have been avoided if they didn't just assume that I wouldn't be using road base as finishing. At this point, I was so sick to my stomach of the quality of work and just the whole experience that I decided to just end the relationship and chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned.

Don't bother using these guys...

john in Burnaby
john in Burnaby
1 review Burnaby, BC

fencing around my house

these guys were great workmanship was great everything they said they were going to do was done the office was great to deal with the estimator was great and on time i reccomend this company to do your fencing needs

terry, kitsilano
terry, kitsilano
1 review Vancouver, BC

new perimeter fence

This company was unreliable, and dishonest and dangerous. After telling me on 4 seperate occasions that they would be there at 9 am to do the job the following day, they finally showed up at 1 pm, removed the old fence and then disappeared for 4 days. With the old fence gone there was a true security risk as well as a steep staircase to the underground garage which was left exposed with no barrier to prevent passers-by from falling. During the next 2 weeks they would show up, work for a couple of hours and then leave. The office would call and say they would be there the next day and they never were. Getting them to finish the job was like pulling teeth. Finally it was finished and I was asked to pay the bill however no invoice was presented. This is a strata, invoice is necessary for the treasurer. After several phone calls I was assured that the invoice would be e mailed the next day. 5 days later they e mailed the original estimate, including a $500 adding mistake which I had pointed out to them. It is now 3 weeks later and they still can't get it together to send an invoice.

More about AIM Cedar Works Ltd

AIM Cedar Works Ltd. is a BC owned and operated premium cedar fencing manufacturing and installation service, from West Vancouver to Chilliwack. We are a well established wholesale manufacturer of quality fence panels, and privacy screens. Our products can be found at large contractor outlets and retail stores. We are ...
Looking for Fences & Gates pros in Burnaby?