Acme Slate

Jeff from Oshawa
Jeff from Oshawa
1 review Oshawa, ON

Main Floor Floors - door to door to door

We went to ACME Slate in 2001 looking for flooring for our home. They suggested we come out and walk on it... with bare feet. We fell in love with the 40 sq ft staggered pattern in the honed Brazilian slate. The rustic look suited out taste. ACME also recommended an installer who did a magnificent job. He was to begin on the morning of 9/11/2001 becoming distracted like just about everyone that fateful day. Well, thirteen years later we can tell you ACME slate is top quality, looking even better than the year it was installed. We have it on our main floor throughout to all our doorways. We walk on with shoes slippers or bare feet and still absolutely love it. Thanks to Steven and ACME for supplying a great product and installer too!

Bob  in Sarnia
Bob in Sarnia
1 review Sarnia, ON

Slate tiles and slab slate pieces.

Acme Slate was an absolute nightmare to work with. I went to Acme Slate after seeing it used on TV.

I ordered standard 12x24 tiles for the floor and shower walls. The tiles were good quality.

The problem came with the rest of the order.

I had Acme Slate cut the 4x4 tiles for the floor of the shower. They were unable to cut squares and I ended up getting mostly rectangles. The tiles were 1/8" to 1/4" difference in length to width. This difference caused the design to change from a straight laid pattern to having to stagger them to try to hide the differences in size.

I also had them cut slabs for the back wall cap, shower threshold, shower niche shelves and vanity top. I called and talked to the owner to ask if they would be able to cut curved pieces for the slab if I provided exact templates. He assured me that he could cut anything I could make. So I made MDF templates of all the curved pieces that I wanted in slab and shipped the templates to Acme Slate. I called a few days later to assure that the templates made it there intact- they did.
After 3 weeks Acme Slate called me and told me that they couldn't cut slab to match the templates I provided. I told them that I had called and talked to the owner before making the templates and was assured that they could make them- they then told me that since I talked to the owner that they could do them then. I asked if they would be able to do a quality job if they were too difficult and was again assured that they could handle it. I even asked if they could send them out to be water jetted and they told me they could do it in house.
Another couple of weeks went by and Acme Slate called again and said that they could not find any 3/4" slab and that they would have to cut it from 1 1/4" slab. I had to go check to make sure it would work and called them back and told them to go ahead and I would change what I needed to make the thicker material work.
Couple weeks later they called and told me that the order was ready for pick up. I am located in Sarnia- 3 hours away, so I drove up and picked the order up and when I got there the slab pieces were 3/4"! I asked what happened and they said "Oh yeah we found some 3/4!" then they told me that they couldn't cut it out of the thicker 1 1/4" as their machines couldn't cut that thick. At that point I just said well a phone call would have been nice. I guess I will have to change what I can- back to fit the thinner material.
I drove around back to load the order and the tiles were loaded first then we loaded the slab pieces that were very dirty and hard to see what they looked like, figured I would have some cleaning to do once I got home.
Cleaned the slab pieces first and found that they had broken one of the slabs when they tried to drill it and epoxied it back together. There was still a bunch of epoxy on the edge that had been sanded some and the crack on the top of the piece was very visible.
The finish on the edges of the slabs was poor as you could see that they had went from course grit right to fine grit and the course grit sanding marks showed through on every piece. Also there were undulations along the edges.
I called Acme Slate and told them about the broken piece and the owner told me that no it would not have been broken and re-glued- I told him that I would send him pictures! So I sent the pics and didn't hear back from them so after a week and a half went by I called and they told me they would call me back, I ended up having to call them back a week later and they told me they would replace the slab to just drop the template off and they would remake the piece. They know that I am 3 hours away and I told them that it was not possible. I told them that the bathroom needed to get finished and I couldn't wait any longer and that they needed to refund my money for the slab/ labour for work on it and refund for the shower floor tiles that were rectangles. They said fine that they would need to look at the paper work to figure out how much of a refund to give and that they would call me back. That was months ago! I have called Acme Slate and left multiple messages with people there and on their voice mail as I seem not to be able to get an answer there any more!
I also asked what grit of sand paper to use to sand the epoxy off and they told me 400 wet is what they use. I sanded it and then put it up to the other half and it was clear that they only sanded to maybe 320! So now I have to sand all the edges of the slabs so that they will match. I ended up sanding every inch of all the slab edges. I used an auto body sander with 220 grit, 320 grit, 400 grit and then 400 grit wet by hand. Had to start with 220 to try to straighten out the curves as best I could.

Tiles were good- but I would not suggest for anyone to get any fabrication work done by Acme Slate as it is amateur at best. They don't touch the standard size tiles so they are good.

I thought this could be handled between honest business men- but Acme Slate has turned out to be one of those dishonest suppliers.

Sandra in TO
Sandra in TO

Bathroom Renovation

We went to Acme Slate for our bathroom renovation and they were great. Very knowledgeable staff and they were able to do some great custom work for us. They know what they are doing!

Matt from Leslieville
Matt from Leslieville

Bathroom and front hall

Had a nightmare of a time with a bathroom reno and the tiling contractor kept screwing up cuts. Acme was very understanding and extremely helpful as I kept returning to them for the same pieces. Great people and super friendly service, and awesome dogs!

Roger for Toronto
Roger for Toronto

Kitchen and Bathroom renovation - supply of slate

We were pleasently surprised at how helpful and professional Acme Slate was in helping us not only choose the right product for our renovation, but also helping us resolve some design and installation issues. Charlie was truly a pleasure to deal with and we felt we got excellant value. All of the slate we purchased was excellant quality with true edges and uniform thickness. We would highly recommend Acme to anyone looking for Slate products.

More about Acme Slate

Acme Slate Ltd. is owned and operated by the great-grandson of Wiliam Wright who founded the company in 1919. Stephen Wright continues the family tradition of exacting standards that have established Acme Slate's reputation for craftmanship over the past eighty years. Acme Slate continues to import and manufacturer slate for ...
Looking for Tile & Stone Retailers pros in Brimley?