Oborne Contracting Inc.

Basement Renovation
101 Windermere Cres. Richmond Hill ON L4C6Y8
HomeStars  >  Basement Renovation in Richmond Hill  >  Oborne Contracting Inc.

Reviews for Oborne Contracting Inc.

melissa prokopy
melissa prokopy

An A+ experience from start to finish!

We met John, the owner of Oborne contracting, in February 2017. We had spent the previous summer interviewing various contractors, and after becoming disenfranchised about it all, took a 6 month break before we met John.

From our first meeting, we knew that Oborne was a good fit for us. We were looking to do a main floor total gut renovation, so we knew the contractor we chose would be in our lives for a substantial period of time. John was upfront about the fact that he was interviewing us as much as we were interviewing him, what our respective roles and responsibilities and next steps would be, and that he didn't want us to waste our time if we didn't think the relationship would work.

Soon there after, we were also introduced to Georgia, who's design expertise and non-pushy approach was exactly what we were after. What we really appreciated was her desire to get to know "us" to assist her in designing features and picking fixtures and finishes that would suit our lifestyle.

We were brave enough to live at our house during our 6 month renovation, which we expected to be horrendous balancing two young kids, two jobs, a dog, and contractors constantly in our space. Our site supervisor Kevin Myers and his team, including Kiak and Sonny, as well as their recommended subtrades went above and beyond in every regard - they were friendly, professional, courteous, dependable, patient, and the cleanest contractors we have ever seen. Kevin really became like part of our family, the kids knew Kevin would be here when they woke up and were disappointed if he wasn't here when they came home from school.

One morning, Sonny pulled Ben aside and wanted to show him (discretely) in the backyard that a baby raccoon had died - he was worried that the kids would come out back so he moved it off to the side, shielded it with some boxes, and called 311. Clearly not his job but one of the many many examples of how Oborne went above and beyond.

Reflecting on our entire renovation, we are hard pressed to say that there is anything we would change. When others ask about our renovation "experience" they are always surprised to hear how relatively smooth and painless it was. While there were definitely some set backs and bumps along the road, there was never a moment where we felt as though John, Georgia or Kevin didn't have our best interests at heart.

We've already asked John to come back and quote us to renovate our upstairs bathroom.

Thanks for making our first renovation experience one for the memory book!

The Prokopys
Ben, Melissa, Ruby and Clark

John in Toronto
John in Toronto

Dining Room & Basement Renovations

We hired John and his crew for some renovations including floors, walls and painting.
John was very professional and easy to work with. He was very receptive to any ideas or concerns we had about the work.
Kiak's and Ken's work was very precise, and they left the house very clean afterwards.
Very happy with the overall results and would definitely recommend Oborne Contracting to anyone looking to complete some home renovations.

Gianluca from Maple

Oreostallion in the Bluffs
Oreostallion in the Bluffs

Replacing pad and insulating footings in garage (in Scarborough Bluffs)

L4C6Y8

This was the second time I used Oborne Contracting. The team was quick to diagnose and offer solutions for an issue with my garage. John and his team were prompt, attentive and were very clean as they worked. While I was not thrilled to need the work done, I was very happy to have someone I could trust to do the job right. I am very much looking forward to the third time we use John, which will be a more personally satisfying reno project.

Private User reviews Markham, ON

Excellent advice and communication

L4C6Y8

I called Oborne Contracting with a home construction project. I received excellent, clear plan regarding what the work would entail. John is super professional and very easy to communicate with. He encourages questions and replies to emails within a very reasonable timeframe. Ultimately, however, I decided to go with another contractor due to budget. Oborne Contracting provides site managers for their work other than the owner (John), which adds to the cost. However, if you are able to fit this into your budget, I would not hesistate to hire Oborne Contracting.

Thank you so much for the kind words, I only wish that Oborne Contracting could have been the company to see your project through to construction and completion. That being said we were very happy providing you the pre-construction service and advise. Sometimes our format of proving every job with a Project Manager is not for every client. Some people will prefer to go with the smaller one-man operation for different reasons, financially or other. Our format allows us to run multiple projects with multiple highly skilled Managers working as a team thus allowing me as the owner and my administration to provide the best customer service possible with out letting the on-site work lag or suffer.

Thanks again and please contact us should you require any advice during your renovation or beyond

Brian Cole from Scarborough
Brian Cole from Scarborough

Gut two bathrooms and a kitchen facelift

We had two bathrooms gutted completely, with new walls, floor tile, showertile, backsplash tile, vanities, jet tub in one, walk-in tile shower in the other, and glass doors for both. We also had new countertop/sink/backsplash/paint in the kitchen. John and Jeff and their team were a delight to work work, very professional and pleasant, and the work was excellent. They even took care to keep the dust to a minimum and sweep up at the end of each day. My wife and I wouldn't hesitate to hire them again for future work.

Thank you so much for the wonderful review Brian, we really enjoyed working for you and your family and are thrilled to have completed 2 beautiful bathrooms and the kitchen upgrade for you. It is the good clients like you that keep construction companies like mine inspired; by provide us a pleasant work environment and allowing us to do our job without question or interference when so many others do not. Thank you for any future referrals and we hope to one day work for you again.

Linda Theling from Newmarket
Linda Theling from Newmarket
3 reviews Newmarket, ON

Bathroom Renovation

L4C6Y8

John and his crew are very friendly and are very friendly with my dogs.. John's crew always ask me for my opinion and input. The crew cleanup everyday before they leave the site. Love have the crew here in the house, I feel safe with them around.

Linda you are without question one of Oborne Contracting’s favorite clients. We always look forward to working with you and of course your dogs. You have been one of our longest standing clients and there is nothing we would not do for you or to help you with. Thank you so much

Michael O in Toronto
Michael O in Toronto

Kitchen Venting and Fireplace removal

It was a pleasure working with John and his team at Oborne Contracting. My fiancé and I loved John from the very beginning. He really took his time with the initial visit, explained everything in great detail, gave us a few lessons on safety, and even a few tips on the rest of our renovations that we were not hiring him for. The execution of the work was equally impressive. Everything was done as we had discussed to the very last detail. I think what sets John apart from the rest is how professional and well managed his company is. Although Oborne Contracting is not the cheapest, these are the guys I would call if I need something to get done right.

Sincerely,
Michael and Virginia

Thank you Michael and Virginia for all the kind words, we enjoyed working for you and hope to work with you on other projects in the future, please don’t hesitate to call if you ever need anything or any home/construction advice.

Bathroom reno

L4C6Y8

Great reviews from others, but we had a negative experience. Communication leading up to the project was fine, and everyone was very polite. However, we received a surprise invoice at the end, and workmanship was below average (paint job was poorly done, sink had to be reinstalled because it wasn't centred and was leaking after first installation, mirror wasn't straight). You challenge him and give him feedback he disagrees with he will turn on you - quickly!!

Edited June 2016
Your response is almost as long as the text you sent me after midnight! Sorry, but we paid over $6000.00 and have invoices to show for the work, we were your client and we tried getting your help to see if you'd be good for our larger renovation. This was a good test of character. I'm not going to deal with the back and forth on Homestars. We chose to go with someone that exceeds our expectations - remains professional throughout and no surprises!

Dear “Private User”

Thank you for the feedback.

Unfortunately because you have chosen not to reveal your identity in connection with this review, we are unable to determine who you are or what project this is? The description of your project and the issues you had does not specifically describe any project we have completed lately or in the past. Without success our office spent the better part of 4 days going through our project archives in an attempt to recognize you as a client and the back ground of your project so contact could be made and any appropriate resolutions could be provided. Oborne Contracting also reached out to HOMESTARS in pursuit to disclose you the author of the review with zero assistance.

As the evaluating “client” It would only be fair, to grant Oborne Contracting the opportunity to address any such issues before a public review. It really seems that the scale of the issues described don’t truly reflect the rating “1” provided. We are really scratching our heads on this one. We have no idea who you are or if you’re a “client” at all.

The best we can do at this point is to just kindly request that this reviewer please contact us and allow us to try make the situation right and remind you why you hired us in the first place.
It must be noted that Oborne Contracting strongly questions the legitimacy of this review and denounces the process by which the web-site “HOMESTARS” chooses to allow these types of posts. Allowing anonymous criticism simply ratcheted up viciousness and demoralization without actually helping to facilitating any beneficial solutions.

Sadly even those of us who are good well intended people are often scarred by a stereotype that is assumed by the profession we are in. Construction has always been a profession that often gets little respect, in part because the bad tends to overshadow the good, but society's deep-set anathema towards good contractors has always been a mystery to me, but one I hope to one day solve, however that will be a mountain I can never climb if our evaluators are ghosts................................

MSA
MSA

Bathroom and kitchen

I hired Oborne Contracting for a bathroom and kitchen project. I was extremely satisfied with all aspect of the work performed. They were extremely professional and the quality of work was excellent. They went above and beyond in answering any questions that I had. They were very knowledgeable and communicated every step of the project with me. I will definitely hire them for any future projects.

More about Oborne Contracting Inc.

Home Additions Builders Basement Renovation Kitchen Planning & Renovation General Contractors

At Oborne Contracting we pride ourselves on customer service. We specialize in additions, kitchens, bathrooms, basements, and all other home renovation and remodeling needs. Our team is courteous, skilled, conscientious and determined to ensure each project is completed on time and on budget. Our longstanding trades are reliable professionals who are committed to their work and quality. We are confident that you will find at Oborne Contracting we conduct ourselves on a highly professional level, assuring your complete satisfaction is our key to success.Oborne Contracting Inc. has been servicing Toronto and surrounding area home owners for over 20 years. We specialize in custom home building, general contracting, home repairs, design and build, home remodeling and restoration, home additions and basement renovations.
We take pride in attending to every detail of any project we take on, from the initial meeting with the discerning home owner until after the job is completed. After working with our professional staff you will understand why Oborne Contracting Inc. will be your first choice for all of your home upgrades, renovations and new constructions.

Each home remodeling project is unique in the level of complexity and requirements. This demands a level of experience to design a broad plan and turn any project into a functional and livable home upgrade, addition or custom design. We build our client’s trust by understanding their needs, budgets, time frames, while supervising every step of the construction process. No question is ever left unanswered.