Reviews written by non-customers being accepted

RSS Feed Start a New Topic
Dscf2072_mini

by [email protected] about 2 years ago

Can someone at Homestars please explain why reviews are being accepted by the moderators that clearly have been written by people who are not paying customers of the contractors they’re writing about and rating? One such review was accepted on March 15 for B.B.G. Carpentry by some woman named Kelly Weber who clearly identified herself as not using their services. Yet her review was accepted by the moderator and posted. This woman contacted me later and was also not happy with my recommendations and ended the conversation by dropping the f bomb. Being as spiteful as she obviously is, I’m assuming that Homestars will realize that we did no work for such a person nor accepted payment of any kind and therefore not post her review should she attempt to write one. Where is the due diligence?
Raffy

14 Responses

by Gordon B. Toronto about 2 years ago

Raffy, as a loyal paying member of the site I find it in very poor taste for you to publicy spank HomeStars for an error that may or may not be. I mean you have a 10 average for 120 reviews and have won the Best Of for 4 years straight, would it not have been a better idea to discuss it with your account manager first before you discredit the performance of HomeStars that is obviously doing their best to keep it honest and operate with integrity. Everybody makes an oversite and your’s is pretty blatant and does not help the cause. I would hate to see your reaction to a genuine negative review.
Truly,
GTB

Dscf2072_mini

Gord, I am hard spanking Homestars. Am I questioning the criteria used to allow a review to be posted in public? Yes I am, under the Homestars forum topic “Site Questions and Suggestions” which they have created for this very reason. How I treat my paying clients and how I respond to my reviews is absolutely not your concern. The contractors, many of which have become friends of mine after working at my home and the homes of customers, that you have repeatedly offended with YOUR blatant insults and condescending remarks on these forums have offended me too. In fact Gord, I contacted you over the Christmas holidays requesting your help on a very difficult situation at my own home was received with not so much as an acknowledgement of receipt of my request. Did I go Homestars or to your listing to complain? Of course not.
I’ve said to Nancy, Brian and Terry several times before about how I feel about them and this awesome site. I’ve written a review of them too. They know well how both my partner feel about Homestars.
You Gord cannot seem to leave your computer until you’ve lambasted anyone else who seems to go against what you feel are the only “proper” values to have and portray and you definitely make some massive assumptions about the good people you’ve provided unsolicited advice too. Sounds like a lot of big brother to me.
Respectfully,
Raffy

Raffy, I was under the impression that the “Site Questions and Suggestions” was for just what it implies, I am however left with the impression after reading your statement" Where is the due diligence?" that you are questioning the carefulness,selection and assiduity of HomeStars. I left no comment as to how you treat your clients or respond to “your” reviews. I will be condescending to your remark that I offended many of your “contractor friends” with blatant insults as I can only think of one. I am sure you will correct me if I am wrong. We have also been blessed to have as of today four existing members of this site perform their craft on our own projects and I have referred them to very high profile client’s of ours with no kickbacks to us in any fashion, Frano from Hero Plumbing, Robert McKinnon from Electrilight, Andrew Cole from Foam Factor and SkyWire Security. All are very easy for you to access however, It will always be a business relationship as long as they keep my clients happy and serve them well.
In regards to not responding to your request for an estimate I apologize with sincerety and have done so many times in advance to all others(posted on the Forum) that we failed to contact as the supply of clients requesting our services exceeds what we can actually service. A tip for the future is to Email me personally or phone after 10pm [email protected] or 416-927-1444.
I have no idea how you feel about Nancy, Brian and Terry or HomeStars. I assume that you are aware about the objections of the validity of the reviews by the viewers and subscribers of this site and know full well that the vast majority are without merit and totally unfounded especially after what occurred in Nancy’s speach about a winner of a categority that was revoked for your very allegation.
In conclusion, your statement was very disconcerning especially since you have fared very well and accomplished so much. Why endorse the skeptics?
Truly,
GTB

Dscf2072_mini

Gord, maybe it’s just semantics, but a forum titled “Site suggestions and questions” is the correct forum to ask the question: “where’s the due dilligence”. I definitely do not endorse the skeptics of this site by ensuring that Homestars follows their procedures of permitting reviews to be posted. In fact it shows perfectly how Homestars is willing to listen and accept questions, suggestions and crititisms. I WHOLEHEARTEDLY endorse this amazing amazing site and I want to make sure that they follow their protocal so that we all benefit – contractors, whether paying ones or not and consumers. Trust me we at Elite want nothing more. My issue with your post is not the message but they way in which you voice them. It can and does come off as very insulting, at least it did to me.
Anyway, I may still contact you for that issue which has not been resolved 100%.

Raffy

Picture_6_mini

by colleen in the annex about 2 years ago

Hi Raffy, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Gordon is right, we try our best but mistakes are always going to happen (spank hard ? ;). We receive thousands of reviews a month so a few are bound to slip through the cracks from time to time. Thankfully we have lots of methods for site users to contact us and we are willing to take a second look at any situation. Thanks for coming to our defense so quickly Gordon !

Dscf2072_mini

Hi Colleen, thanks for your response and for addressing the issue. I frankly didn’t realize it was going to turn into such a heated discussion! Lol. We at Elite certainly realize that there will always be mistakes made and do not expect under any circumstance perfection from anyone. We are thankful that Homestars provides this open forum for all to bring up concerns, suggestions and questions. Making it a truly objective and fair forum.
Raffy

Hotwire_electric-all_1-4_booklet_mini

by HOTWIRE ELECTRIC 416-553-5533 about 2 years ago

Ive personally always questioned that hardworking companies do work and at times are not paid. Ive always wondererd what will happen to the client that doesnt pay for the work completed and then posts a review. I assume they will have a copy of an invoice of some sorts to prove the work was done. Homestars is a good website for what it is. A client based website but it has its flaws and most of it lean towards the customer not the contractors. One day, contractors will start a website on client reviews :) ones that cancel last minute, reschedule all the time, dont pay, bounce cheques and ones that want to call everyone on homestars list one by one to get them to each beat each other by the last 10 dollars. Sometimes the companies can be right. and I feel if there is NON-PAYMENT by an invoiced client and the company can demonstrate proof of this issue. a review should not be valid.

HT I have to agree that no previous client be allowed to post a review until the invoice is paid in full However if the issue ends up in court and judgement is in favor of the consumer then by all means post it because the consumer was found in the right and should be able to protect the public. Home Stars could open another department and call it Arbitration Resolution as it appears that it is needed for all disgruntled clients and contractors alike. However it will likely not happen. Take hold of the manure pile you stirred up with your review entry method only to add fuel to the fire for the skeptics. Home Stars is the best investment we have ever made and we firmly believe in it, we just wish no nonsense or monkey business is attempted by any listed member, innocently or otherwise. Because of one’s actions we all suffer,credibility and integrity is key to the success of this resource . This site has the power to make or break a member and on the other hand the consumers hold the same power over the site. I use this site as a sales tool to ensure all potential clients that their review is paramount to our success and makes our employees more responsible in their capacities as they do not want to be the sole reason for a bad review. The members that submit fraudulent reviews reflect badly on all of us doing our best to earn a deserved and honest dollar, also, discrediting the image of Home Stars as a reliable contractor source. Once is a mistake, twice is on purpose.
Truly,GTB

by Neighbour in Vancouver about 2 years ago

I would appreciate seeing the “non-customer” reviews as well.

How can this site have any credibility if the only posted reviews are those which have been okay-ed by the contractor/company?

I’m a neighbour of a “paying customer” and yet I definitly have an opinion of a company which could contain useful information for potential customers. My comments however aren’t posted and won’t be until some fictional “other section” is open for business here.

Please Sign In to respond to this Post

In this week's newsletter: Best of season is in full swing!