Category :
80 Redwood ave TORONTO , ON M4L2S6
Owner/Manager:
Chris Smith

WoodSmith Construction Inc

Company Profile WoodSmith Construction Inc. is your one stop shop for everything you need to make your renovation dream a reality. We specialize in Design/ Build and Renovations/ Additions through out the GTA Area. List of Services are -All design and permitting work -Basements and Foundations -General Contracting -Kitchens -Waterproofing -Additions -Custom ...

You Might Also Consider

Bart Szoke Architect

We contacted Bart to help us with transforming our third floor into a master bathroom and bedroom suite. We had a fair...

Antoinette from Toronto 1 Jan 05, 2014

Reviews for WoodSmith Construction Inc

Show:

Oct 29, 2012, Toronto

Woodsmith helped completely renovate a bathroom, re-stain hardwood floors and install new doors and baseboards. Chris was a pleasure to work with. He was very reliable and always upfront about costs. I would definitely work with him again.

Oct 24, 2012, Toronto

There is no such thing as a "perfect" renovation, especially not at the scale we were involved in along with all the complications fully gutting and renovating a 100 year old home and adding a 24 x 20 foot full addition (basement, main and 2nd floor @ 480sqft per floor). So why am I giving Chris and the good guys at Woodsmith Construction a 10? If everything was straight forward, then all we would be talking about is price, timelines and quality of product. IMHO, that is the bare minimum... How you deal with the suprises and unforeseen problems is really what definines the character and ethics of a Contractor. Sure there were issues and suprises and we've seen many articles and TV shows about the horror stories... but the main reason I stick to a 10 rating is that Chris ALWASY made it right. If there was something we were not happy about, Chris found a way to make it right, either by correcting it or finding an alternative. I probably have over a thousand E-mails and easily thousands of minutes of talk time with Chris. Chris was never "out of touch" and we talked many times a day. When Chris says "Hey, I want you to have what you want" he means it in the most genuine way and has shown us in action for the past 1+ years of working together. Chris is exteremely flexible with arrangements and allows you to source various solutiions as needed and does not force you into a fixed or "Woodsmith" only solution. Chris is very knowledgable with many years of experience (despite his young appearance) and definitely contributed to some of the design of our project even though we came to him with architectural designs completed and permit from the city - ready to build. We know most of Chris' workers and subs by name and have enjoyed working with the bulk of them and in fact we are still completing our basement as I write this and a detached garage will also be completed in the future. One final note about Chris is that he is genuinely "helpful" and wants to and I'd say even likes to help and educate. I was talking to him months before we signed the deal and he was never unavailble to chat, give pointers and educate me even though I may not have chosen him. Chris wants to educate the home owners and won't stand for artificially inflated prices that a lot of subs and other contractors push just because you live in a popular area.

Helpful? Yes No
What could this company do to improve their services?
Chris is definitely busy with many projects on the go. There is a lot of coordination that is required and at some point, it may make sense that another person be involved in capturing the small details and assist with coordination.
Any advice to offer fellow homeowners facing a similar project?
You must get involved. Mike Holmes doesn't say it enough in his books and he is absolutely right. The more you are involved, the more likely you will get what you want and paid for. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, your contractor is there to help you. Watch out for contractors who tend to quote higher prices just because of the area you live in. Be wary if the first question is "what's your address" vs. "what exactly do you need completed / can you send me your plans".

Jul 30, 2012, Toronto

My wife and I had just bought our first home and needed to have a lot of work done to accommodate our needs. The kitchen needed to be gutted, the master bedroom was woefully short of storage, the furnace/laundry room had to be rearranged to comply with the building code, there were a number of minor waterproofing/insulating jobs to be done on the exterior, and the attic needed an access hatch and an extra load of insulation. Friends recommended Woodsmith Construction Inc., and after meeting with the owner, Chris Smith, we were confident we had the right team for the job. Chris was very easy to work with and was always available when we needed him throughout the renovations. He was personally involved in every stage of the renovation – from design and planning to execution and follow up. His crew was very professional and respectful and did excellent work. We are extremely pleased with the results. All our friends and family rave about the design and quality of our new kitchen and the way our new wall of closets has transformed the master bedroom. We highly recommend Woodsmith for all your renovation needs.

Apr 03, 2012, East York

We had originally bought our house with plans to do a main floor update, however upon discussing our options with Chris, we decided to go ahead and add a second floor and do a full main/basement redesign. Chris and his team were great to work with, always available, trustworthy, considerate and reliable. We spoke to Chris daily, and met with him weekly, to review the status of the renovation, and discuss any building issues. Several times, Chris and his team brought up alternative design ideas that ended up being a huge success (changes to the layout of the kitchen, staircase, and the addition of vaulted ceilings in the master bedroom) and better than we had originally imagined. Chris's team was great, always friendly and willing to help with any question. They were always focused on the job. We are absolutely thrilled with the final product and moved in basically the week Chris had expected (and had told us 6 months prior). I would ask Chris to do another project without hesitation and would recommend Wood-Smith to anyone looking at doing a renovation/rebuild/project.

Sep 08, 2011, Oakville

Chris the owner is wonderful to work with. His best quality is that he is very honest - rare to find in this business ! My entire main floor got renovated in a very short time period. If you provide the contractor with what they need they they will produce the work on time. I have recommened this company to many of my friends who are all happy with the work.

Helpful? Yes No
Any advice to offer fellow homeowners facing a similar project?
You have to be present at all times during the renovations. Regardless of who is doing the work, you have to watch over them to give them direction on how you want things done or what the end result should look like.

Aug 04, 2011, Etobicoke

After experiencing water damage to our basement, Chris Smith and his team came in to save the day. They were professional, trustworthy, and competent. They provided insight and delivered on everything they promised. I would highly recommend them to my family and friends and I would definitely use them in the future.

Mar 28, 2011, TORONTO

Our challenge for Woodsmith was to re-build a 4000 square foot commercial space for the new owners of the company. Chris was very honest, realistic and on time with the work that needed to be done. Sometimes a re-build can be more challenging than a project from scratch. In this case it definitely was and Chris and his team saved the day. Not only was the project finished on time and on budget but the finishing looks fantastic! Thank you Woodsmith. Brad Nelson

Mar 27, 2011, TORONTO

I recently bought a condo that needed a fair bit of work. Woodsmith and staff came highly recommended and delivered on everything they promised. Not only were they skilled professionals, they showed up on time, and finished when they said they would. I would rehire them in an instant... Thx guys, ~A

Mar 27, 2011, Pickering

Chris Smith and his team did our kitchen renovation which turned into a kitchen, main floor bathroom and foyer renovation. They arrived everyday on time, I spoke with Chris daily, they were efficient, clean and professional. They had creative ideas and overall made our home a true 10. I would recommend them without hesitation.

Helpful? Yes No
This review has been removed by the author.
JP Murray in Toronto Mar 25, 2011
Why am I seeing this?

In this week's newsletter: Best of season is in full swing!