Category :
Toronto , ON
Owner/Manager:
Sears Home Services

Sears Heating & Air Conditioning

Company Profile Sears makes heating and cooling simple. We take care of everything for you: * Helping you choose the right equipment * Maintaining and repairing your equipment * Conducting ecoENERGY evaluations * Enabling you to take advantage of our Home Comfort Rental Program Sears is your one-stop shop for heating and ...

You Might Also Consider

Shift Air Mechanical Ltd.

photo-15.JPG

I had Shift Air install a new high efficiency furnace a few months back and the work was done extremely well. The workers...

Adam Carruthers from Calgary 1 Apr 01, 2014

Reviews for Sears Heating & Air Conditioning

Show:

Feb 25, 2014, Whitby

Purchased a complete HVAC system from Sears in Whitby Ontario in 2011. Kenmore Furnace and A/C plus a hot water service. The furnace / AC has a 10 year parts and labour coverage.. In February 2014 the furnace stopped working and the thermostat seemed to be the problem. So, had Direct Energy come to install a new one. The service rep. opened the furnace to discover that the inside was wet (not damp...dripping wet) and covered in rust. It appears the vent pipe was installed incorrectly allowing water to flow backwards into the furnace. He then started to inspect the system to discover the outside vent and air intake were installed within 4" of each other....suppose to be separated by minimum 12" . Also, discovered there were small gas leaks at 2 unions and the line to the gas meter wasn't up to code and should have been corrected before the furnace was installed by Sears installation people. He then red tag my system and turned off the gas....said he had to but I should call Sears and they would fix everything. That was mid day on a Friday. I called Sears customers service, explained the urgency of the situation as I had NO heat with forecast -15C that night. The girl on the phone couldn't have been less helpful..."the company that does our installation and service has gone bankrupt and there is nothing we can do to help you....perhaps you can call Price Waterhouse who are handling the bankruptcy...have a nice day". I'm a retired senior citizen and this is the what I am left with from Sears..."have a nice day". From that point on...to-day is Tuesday and still no heat....Sears has done nothing to fix the problem and keeps passing the blame. The company that bankrupt wasn't even in existence when I bought my furnace..I bought it from Sears, not a private contractor. I'm going to have to pay for all the repairs myself. Absolutely unbelievable. I expected so much more from Sears. Needless to say I will never buy anything from Sears...ever! Steer clear of Sears...they aren't the company you thought they were and who I trusted. Money will fix this problem...I am most distressed by their complete lack of care or concern. This was , and still is, a dangerous situation and they acted no better than a fly by night operating working out of the back of their truck. I expected better from Sears and I am so terribly disappointed in the direction this company has chosen to follow. Beware !

Nov 21, 2013, Poughkeepsie

The Sears installers did an AMAZING job on my furnace! They were on time, clean, courteous, and efficient. I got 2 other quotes for high efficiency gas furnaces from local companies, both of which were a little lower but only had a 1 year parts & labor warranty. With Sears, I received 7 years of parts and labor with free maintenance as well! Plus, they had 12 months of interest-free financing, which made things a little easier on us financially. Everyone was so helpful, I would DEFINITELY recommend Sears to all my friends and family!

Sep 21, 2013, Calgary

Our furnace died in the fall, and we were up against time constraints with winter coming. The saleswoman helped us out with our choice, and it turned out to be a great furnace. Install was quick and efficient, passing inspection with no problem

Jun 20, 2013, Gloucester

Very dissatisfied with Sears Home Services. We purchased our home in 2011, at the time the AC unit was 3 years old, great selling feature for us. As luck would have it, the AC broke down at the beginning of this 2013 season (low refrigerant levels = leak), and several companies were quoting us at around $1200-$1800+ to perform a leak check, repair, and refill refrigerant. The unit (Kenmore) was installed in 2008, and is still technically under a "no hassle 5-yr warranty", however Sears will not honour the warranty as it was not transferred to us from the previous owner within 90 days from the point of sale. This is simply a dishonest loop-hole...a way for the company to get out of honouring a warranty and avoid a repair bill. Many units now come with 10-year warranties...in this timeframe, the ownership of a house can change several times. The warranty should stay with the unit and the residence in which it was installed. If the company truly stood by the "quality" of their product, they would honour their "no hassle warranty". It makes no sense to us to repair the unit for this price, so instead we are faced with outright replacing a 5 year old unit. I will NEVER buy any Sears product or engage their home services, and I would advise all my friends and family to do the same.

Mar 13, 2013, Whitby

We have had an awful experience with Sears Home. As part of an eco audit a few years ago, we updated our A/C, furnace and water heater. We have absolutely no complaints about the furnace or the a/c, but the tankless water heater we rent, has been a lemon from the start and our experience with Sears customer service has been a nightmare. To be fair, most of the customer service reps and repairmen have been generally nice, if entirely ineffective. We have had multiple repairs to this unit and they refuse to replace it, even though it is a rental. Even some of the techs have agreed this is a poor model and Sears should replace it -- they no longer install it this model -- but Sears policy is to refuse it. We’ve been told it needs to have the exact same issue 3 times before they replace it. It broke again before Christmas, and the repair technician did something and blocked a pipe, which flooded our basement. That was 4 months ago, and we still haven’t heard about our claim. In the meantime, there have been many other issues, and Sears passed us off to a contractor to fix it, who also gave up on it and sent it back to Sears. It appears to be leaking again, though currently the sump pump can keep up with it. After over 30 service visits – and likely over a 100 calls to customer service -- and many missed days of work on our behalf to meet the repair men, my husband called another company to see about renting one of their units. According to our contract with Sears, if we provide 30 days written notice, and allow them to remove the unit (which apparently is not standard for other companies), for a fee then we can terminate the contract. My husband called them today to arrange for them to pick it up and they are refusing and telling us that we will have to pay all sorts of penalties. He was put on hold and then hung up on several times today. He has had countless people promise him they will look into this and get back to him, and only one ever has – and she basically said there’s nothing she can do. We are tired of the noises this thing makes, afraid it will flood our basement again, and completely over Sears. We used to buy all sort of things from there, but last week I refused to buy my friend a registry item for her baby shower from there because I cannot support this company any longer.

Dec 06, 2012, McLean

Sears salesman came out to our house, did an evaluation and sold us a Propane furnace and Electric AC unit and scheduled an installation time. The contractors that were sent left (2) 2 ft x 1 ft holes where old return vents were, cut registers in wrong rooms, and stepped through the ceiling. Within 2 weeks we were having problems. We found a HUGE water stain underneath where the furnace/blower was up in the attic and the AC not turning on at all. The contractors were sent back out and fixed it (blamed it on us for not changing the filter even though it had only been on 2 weeks). Within a week we had another water stain in the same place. They fixed it. Next day ANOTHER Water stain and more workers to fix it. This has been going on/off for last 6 months. The other night we came home and the AC/furnace not working AGAIN. The contractors came back out and said that the furnace was set up for natural gas and not propane and it burnt out a switch and "shut off" the whole system. They converted it to propane and its working for the moment. The contractors say that Sears didn't tell them that we were on propane. We had been using the furnace on the wrong fuel source for over 6 months! In the 6 months we've had the system there have been over 9 problems and I've had to call them over 25 times.They put out entire family and home at risk with installing the furnace for the wrong fuel type. The safeties that are in the furnace didn't stop it from being used. This is a major fire hazard and we are lucky our house and family wasn't injured and damaged. Sears finally agreed to a HVAC tech coming out but wont agree to pay for anything until they have a bill and speak to that tech. They refuse to discount the furnace/ac because it's "working right now". Nothing to make up for the 6 months of rearranging schedules, broken ac/furnace, frustration, 25+ phone calls, 9 service calls to fix it. That in the 6 months we've had the system we have had problems EVERY SINGLE MONTH! Their defense was that whenever we call to have them come fix it is that they sent someone. (Its under manufacturer warranty, Sear's warranty and we bought a 2 year protection plan with them --so they have no choice to come out and fix it) My husband and I paid out of pocket for a licensed HVAC technician (not Sears affiliated) to come out and make sure it was working properly - we were afraid to use it. After paying that much for something I had expected better quality and service and not constant inconveniences and frustrations for the last 6 months. I don't feel they advertised their services correctly or their product. I spent $12K for something that I had expected to last and work for years, and it hasn't even worked properly for 1 month without issues. We asked that the price be discounted to a more reasonable amount for the inconveniences and problems as well as the gross negligence and irresponsible carelessness of not installing it correctly which put my family and property at risk. They came back with a measly 5% discount ($600) which is what they apparently believe our family's safety and property are worth.

Helpful? Yes No
What could this company do to improve their services?
hire people that know how to do what they are hired to do.
Any advice to offer fellow homeowners facing a similar project?
Stay away from Sears and save yourself the troubles that come with a Sears Product and Services

Jul 30, 2012, Calgary

The guy who did the quote was great. He spent lots of time going over all the different furnaces available but without being too pushy. The installer was great too. He had trouble with a couple of unexpected things due to the age of our house but he stayed until they were solved.

Helpful? Yes No
This review has been removed by the author.
rukhsana khan in MILTON Jun 20, 2012
Why am I seeing this?

Jan 26, 2012, CALGARY

Sears installed the air conditioning unit very quickly. They did a good job in keeping everything clean and neat and also took the time to describe proper care and maintenance. I would recommend Sears for air conditioning installation.

Nov 29, 2011, Brampton

We bought a home in dec 2010 and our home furnace was not serviced from 1997, so we called sears for the same and we got it serviced in very next week end at our convinient time. Very happy with the fast sevice and result! Thank you

Helpful? Yes No

In this week's newsletter: Best of season is in full swing!